Why this game needs old bitter vets - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where everyone has a hart
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Re: Why this game needs old bitter vets

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
I've seen how the Terran Republic operates in PS1. If even half of the Republic FNGs in PS2 adopt a similar "one for all, all for one" mentality, we're going to kick a lot of ass.
/brofist

All it takes is a critical mass of us. Not even a majority. We had that critical mass of very serious-minded but very friendly, helpful hard-core gamers -- at least on Markov -- and they made all the difference in the world. They still are. In my big long user-intro screed (/points at previous page) I call them our founding fathers for a reason.

It's time to return the favor.
Old 2012-07-18, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Irish View Post
From the footage i have seen recently including one that had the VOIP of the players playing, more importantly how they were handling situations and reacting/nerd raging to certain in game events. i noticed that this game is going to be consumed with the accepted norm of current fps mentality. harassment, trolling, profanity, racism....add a F2P model with unlimited account creation possibility = a total recipe for disaster. i have read through the posts regarding the concerns about F2P already which are all mainly valid.

This game is going to heavily rely on old bitter vets, to renew old tactics and make them the accepted norm.

i watched a liberator pilot land his lib to repair, and get flamed by the gunner for taking to long, endless flame w/ harrasment.
this is the instant gratification "modern" fps gamers are used to.

)
I'm confused, which video was this? Was it the Raw & Uncut video by Totalbiscuit?

Also, ya using WoW as an example, it's pretty bad. SO yeap It'll be interesting for sure. Just gotta show em' how it's done eh?

Last edited by Goldeh; 2012-07-18 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Rodel
Sergeant

I have faith. The dynamic of planetside provides a common enemy for your entire empire while heavily stressing teamwork. PS1 had an excellent community of players because of this and PS2 won't be any different.

Remember this is NOT an FPS and its NOT a MMORPG its something different so don't get bogged down comparing it to other games. It really is its own beast and I for one will never harass a newcomer.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Crator
Major General

There will defiantly be a meta-game.... I'm pretty sure of it.... What would be the point of having a mission system without needing goals? Outfits in PS1 were about teamwork... Not all of them, but a good chunk had open arm policies to anyone. And would regularly hold training sessions. I was never a part of building a foundation for a successful outfit in PS1 but it requires knowledge of how most of the meta-game works alongside the classes/weapons/vehicles. And of course the game isn't going to be just like PS1. But if something doesn't jive with the meta-game, you can bet the bitter vets will most likely have the best suggestions to fix it.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Emperor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
No, what he said was that people on the Internet in general are a bunch of douche bags and a lot of them will try Planetside 2. Therefore it's up to the Planetside 1 vets, who will obviously be playing Planetside 2, to eliminate the influence of internet-douchebaggery by helping organize a strong community that does not reward internet-douchebaggery.

I'm pretty sure that the OP is well aware that there will many FPS guilds who will come to PS2 and pwn our pansy PS1 Vet arses.
Well, it's not about FPS guilds coming in and owning anybody; what I'm saying is, it shouldn't just be up to PS1 vets to "eliminate douchebaggery" and "organize a strong community." It should be up to good players in general, new to the franchise or not.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Broadside
Sergeant

If someone gets mad at you for taking too long to repair, there is always a nice patch of hard ground to take a nose dive into.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

From the footage i have seen recently including one that had the VOIP of the players playing, more importantly how they were handling situations and reacting/nerd raging to certain in game events. i noticed that this game is going to be consumed with the accepted norm of current fps mentality. harassment, trolling, profanity, racism....add a F2P model with unlimited account creation possibility = a total recipe for disaster. i have read through the posts regarding the concerns about F2P already which are all mainly valid.

This game is going to heavily rely on old bitter vets, to renew old tactics and make them the accepted norm.

i watched a liberator pilot land his lib to repair, and get flamed by the gunner for taking to long, endless flame w/ harrasment.
this is the instant gratification "modern" fps gamers are used to.

i hope that with the overwhelming experience from vets, and large skilled outfits, our initial tactics and strategy set firm the foundation that made planetside 1 so great.

the opportunity to set the standard right off the bat is available to all of us. lets make it a mature experience, very much opposite of how LOL is currently. (just my example of the worst gaming community i have ever seen)
I agree that 'vets' are important, but let's not pretend the bitter attitude is necessary, or that profanity, harassment, trolling and racism are traits exclusive to modern fps players. My very FIRST interaction with a vet on this forum ended up with them linking to my Facebook, game stats, and calling me a bunch of Jewish slurs after making references to my IRL appearance - all because I supported ADS. It was, to say the least, profane, racist harassment.

Vets are what made PS1. The key to even greater success in PS2 is a healthy interaction with the classier members of to outside modern fps players that come here, and us being respectful and learning in return.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

It's a free to play game, so the ability to pick up and play and have fun has to be there. While vets will be useful, we hopefully won't have to be necessary.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Broadside View Post
If someone gets mad at you for taking too long to repair, there is always a nice patch of hard ground to take a nose dive into.
I'd sooner just fly normally and get shot down extra fast, then whisper them that we could have survived if only I had the time to fully repair the craft. Hopefully they learn a lesson that way. After that, they can just get out and hoof it next time to avoid getting shot down, or stick with me and not get farmed by aircraft because they're hoofing it.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Brusi
Contributor
Major

hmmm... speaking of gaming communities.

Remember EQ? Each server seemed to have a different community and the persistence of that game definitely made being a ninjalooter/bigot/fuckwit a hard life on most servers.

Yeah, those days are over... but hopefully as the OP said, we can instil some form of community pressure to not be a fuckwit in game.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-07-18, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
Minimizing bitterness is good, but if someone really does get mad at you for taking to long to fix the plane while they sit in the gunners seat its probably acceptable to turn the bitterness up to 11 at that moment. Actually just fly out of bounds or over water and dump them assuming that still works.
This. I would of done that in a heartbeat.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
This. I would of done that in a heartbeat.
Ice cold haha
Old 2012-07-18, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

Oh yeah, because people that played a video game 10 years ago are the only ones that understand teamwork and "tactics".

Of course planetside teamwork was hoping that someone remembered to bring an AMS or defend the generator and the only tactics were finding the AMS's and dropping the generators...
Old 2012-07-18, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
elementHTTP
Sergeant

... LOL is currently. (just my example of the worst gaming community i have ever seen)
You need to see DayZ forums THAT IS BAD COMMUNITY and they will come to ps2
Old 2012-07-18, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
It's a free to play game, so the ability to pick up and play and have fun has to be there. While vets will be useful, we hopefully won't have to be necessary.
I agree 100% with this.

When it comes to the overall tactics that comes with a massive fps game like PS which entails some patience, that we vets developed over the years. We still need the newbs to also chip in and help "police" others as well.

I think we (vets) will be outnumbered anyway with the direction PS2 devs are going. Which is not a bad thing. Though I really think it's going the be a smack in the face to all the new comers that still think PS2 is going to give the instant gratification they are used to. I don't blame them since PS2 devs have been hyping the game in this way (E3 "action packed" demos etc) for months.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion