Colour Blind - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Death from above.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-31, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
2stoned
Private

Colour Blind

Colour blind. When playing planetside and being colour blind, it can be a pain. With the clashing colours and what not. I made a post on the offical forums about it which can be found Here. This will give you a bit more detail. I was just wondering what you think about this issue, e.g do you feel the DEVS should spend some time trying to improve on this or not?

All Feedback appreciated.
Old 2004-07-31, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
_-Gunslinger-_
First Sergeant

I like the Idea of checkered towers and whatnot. However it definatly needs to be an option. Also changing your colors can give playes yet another advantage throug the vidio options (the other being weather particles). Discerning stripes = YAY! Viva la colour bliness. Changing colour = hitlerized
Old 2004-07-31, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
I Hate Pants
General

No offence, my brother is colour blind too somewhat (mistakes green for brown often). But no game has ever really bothered to make games playable for the colour blind. Why should we give the devs more burden to carry and hold them to this? Considering it's never even been done really.

Kinda seems unfair to the devs to add more pressure to them when they are already getting frustrated with the community as it is.

Last edited by I Hate Pants; 2004-07-31 at 10:20 PM.
Old 2004-07-31, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by I Hate Pants
No offence, my brother is colour blind too somewhat (mistakes green for brown often). But no game has ever really bothered to make games playable for the colour blind. Why should we give the devs more burden to carry and hold them to this? Considering it's never even been done really.

Kinda seems unfair to the devs to add more pressure to them when they are already getting frustrated with the community as it is.
I could make a small texture to overlay on the shit in about half a minute.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-08-01, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ORANGE
First Lieutenant

don't we already make enough exceptions for the handicaped in life
Old 2004-08-01, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
_-Gunslinger-_
First Sergeant

YA we kinda do but 1/2 the time we normies exploit those systems. At least I do EG: I still have my old temp cripple pass. I routienly park in thier spaces with it and have never gotten a ticket. Going on 2 years. Am I a bad person? NO! just lazy...ok and immoral, unelthical, and ugly
Old 2004-08-01, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Paintballboy
don't we already make enough exceptions for the handicaped in life
true.

Im sure you can adapt to the game colors with your color blindness. if not, set your monitor to black and white and the problem is gone.
Old 2004-08-01, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
scarpas
Captain

i belive color blindness is in 10% of males (red/green colorblindness mostly) so that amounts to alot of colorblind suscribers.

the biggest problem ive been hearing is the fact that its hard to tell enemys from friendlies on the radar with red/green color blindness.

now fixing that would help alot of people, and it would be an easy fix (for instance, changing the dots to the color of thier respective empires.
Old 2004-08-01, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

The problem is that the number of colorblind constituance (sp?) is just not large enough for game developers to really care about. However, Planetside has active developers, if you rally enough support, they will listen and they will do their best to please.

And I agree, people with normal eyesight will find some way of exploiting this, and in a world with so much clipping, it is inevitable

PaintballBoy- That was a sad attempt at being funny, because it's not funny to be handicapped.

Edit: The devs SHOULD pay more attention to stuff like this. But will they?
Personally, they should implement even simple player models. Yeknow those bare skeletal type thingies in CS? They were basically boxes with color. I think that would help a great deal with Planetside. Yeknow, lower framerates and stuff. Sure the game would look like crap, but at least people would be able to fight in large battles for once. Not everyone has a 3.6 ghz processor and a nvidia 6800 ultra.

Last edited by Meursault00; 2004-08-01 at 04:53 AM.
Old 2004-08-01, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ORANGE
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Meursault00
PaintballBoy- That was a sad attempt at being funny, because it's not funny to be handicapped.
Where did I say/imply that it was???

Not to mention both my cousins are autistic so why would I make fun of the handicapped mentally or otherwise.
Old 2004-08-01, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shott
Private

Actually, in response to your first post, I Pants, there is a game that has done some things to help the color blind. Dark Age of Camelot has added +'s and -'s on the end of creatures and NPC's names to help the color blind determine strengths of the creatures/NPC's.

Such as Yellow = <name>+, Orange = <name>++, Red = <name>+++, or Green = <name>-, Grey = <name>--.

I believe that Planetside could do something similar, but this is just my 2 cents.
Old 2004-08-01, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Meursault00
Personally, they should implement even simple player models. Yeknow those bare skeletal type thingies in CS?
Why do I get the feeling you're talking about models that are simple colours so they stand out more in the dark/corners/etc and are generally banned?

If it makes you feel any better, those of us who aren't colour blind have a bad time distinguishing between the VS and NC tower banners. Fortunately I'm TR, so either's an enemy
Old 2004-08-01, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
MrPaul
Major

I'm colour blind too, but I have no trouble when playing PS. (I do have trouble in CS, but this is about PS so lets stick with it)

My solution: Play as TR. As for the minimap, I don't have a problem there, but I never use it anyway apart from when I'm bombing in a lib (which is nigh on never).

And when you're using the big map just zoom into any base you're unsure of and look at the semi-transparent empire logo layered into the SOI marker.

(Maybe if all colour-blind players went to TR we'd have a fair sized pop. too?)
Old 2004-08-01, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hezzy
Contributor
General

The only difficulty I have is distinguishing between yellow and orange squad waypoints. The colours are too similar. It's not exactly hard to change the colour to something different, like green.
Old 2004-08-01, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrPaul
Major

for instance, changing the dots to the color of thier respective empires.
I think taht would be worse, I have the red green and blue purple colour blindness, and it could be just me (more than likely) but I find it a helluva lot easier to distuinguish between R & G than B & P.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion