Laser Painter - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What if we started calling him 'Hammer'...?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-05, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bsod
Private

Laser Painter

This could be a common pool weapon where you point the laser on to an enemy structure, then a bomber type plane drops a bomb and goes straight to where the laser is and BAM!! enemy base destroyed as your squad mops up the remaining forces. The laser would have to be fixed on a certain spot for a certain time.
Old 2002-11-05, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

These exist in Tribes 2 dunno if they will be in PS

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-05, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I would like to see some smart bombs in the game, ones that require team work. Guy on the ground designates a target, guy in the air hits it.

Restrictions should be that when you obtain the weapon, its linked to ONLY that designator, to make the team work aspect kick in, and keep people from carpet bombing an area with smart bombs (As cool as that would be, it would make too many bombs hehe)
Old 2002-11-05, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
snipe
Corporal

i don't like the idea of air bombs that are really powerful. We have rockets on the Reavers, that is enough for me
Old 2002-11-05, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tolvy
Sergeant Major

A good old anti-vehicular missle will do for me!
Old 2002-11-05, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Reminds me of something a friend of mine said about Tribes.

"The Targeting laser works both ways...."
Old 2002-11-07, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

I might be wrong but i think i head something about being able to paint targets for one of the tanks....

Actually i know im not wrong, but i might not beable to prove im right
Old 2002-11-07, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

While we're at it, why don't we just have these painters "paint" an area so that our orbital platform can lay waste via a Deathstar beam? You know, take out an entire base with one those, but make it cost a lot of money.

Or -better yet- not.

I'm all for weapons of massive deconstruction, such as a a Rocklet, Striker, or Mini-Chaingun... but perhaps an Ion Painter or a Redeemer are perhaps not suited for Planetside as well as UTK2003. Just a wild leap of logic.
Old 2002-11-07, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sadfre
Corporal

i have to go with zarpar with this. having targeting lasers used for bombing would ultimatly be too powerful as the game stands now(doesn't seem to be much anti-air defenses other than other aircraft). they would need to add in extra things to defend against such attacks, like flak cannons or the like.

for the most part, PlanetSide looks to be a ground war. which is the way i'd prefer it. the different aircrafts are good, but as it is now with no real counters to speak of. aside from other aircraft, the TR and NC missile launchers are the only other things that would be feasible(even then it would take a lot of practice and luck). so to add something like painting an object for a bombing run would add a whole lot of work for the Devs, which isn't the best thing at this time imo

maybe in the future, but as it is now i can't see it happening.
Old 2002-11-07, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

It's really not what you all make it out to be, and it's not all that useful to begin with. The only game I know of that has a Targeting Laser is Tribes 2.

In T2 if you point the laser at something another player can lock on to it with the missle launcher and start shooting, but then other players just throw flares and the missles are worthless.

The most effective use of the Targeting laser for figuring out the distance between you and your target so that you can lob mortars at it, but the draw back is that "It works both ways". If I point at a spot on the map and it draws a green line from me to my target, it's also drawing a line from my target to me. That gives away my position and I get killed.

The only other use I have seen in game for a targeting laser was defenders useing it to point out the locations of incoming enemy troops, or snipers.

Bottom line is that it can be useful in games, but it's rarely used since the pro's don't out weigh the cons.
Old 2002-11-07, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Ah... you mean a targetting laser. I thought you meant a laser painter for a Deathstar type ordeal or for aircraft to bomb the hell out of it. If that's the case, I still don't like it. Would be useless, just like Unreg said.
Old 2002-11-07, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

One pretty common use for the T2 targetting laser I've seen goes something like this:

Tanker pair drives off into enemy territory. Driver hops out and paints a target. Gunner blows it to hell. Driver hops back in. This trick is quite useful in hilly terrain where you can shoot without line of site.

I'm also pretty fond of the targetting beacon: Sneak under the enemy v-pad and plant it right under the vehicle station. Or on the roof of a building that has a turret on the outside.

Fun stuff.

And last but not least, in RiverDance, you can get 2 or three heavies on that huge hill. If a capper or HO or whatever knows about them, he can lase the turret on the way by. And all of a sudden, it starts raining Really Accurate mortar rounds. Boom.

Lots of useful tricks.

I hope PS has something that allows Sneaky Bastards (TM) to have similar fun.
Old 2002-11-07, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

The only thing you mentioned that happens in competitive play is putting the Beacon under a V-pad, but from what I hear z0dd screwed that up in classic so there is no more targeting beacons. Just markers.

The driver hopping out thing works, but it requires a good driver.

The HO's on a hill would get owned by the LD with shocklances so you'd never see me standing around on Riverdance. I'd be too busy skiing around the back and raping your base for that to happen

Zarp: I think that's what they were talking about, and that was the same idea in Tribes 2. The bombedier in the T2 bomber had a targeting laser that he could use to "mark" a spot on the map that the piolet could see. It helped the piolet line things up for the bombedier, but even that hardly ever got used.

Any decent piolet would way point (on the command map) his targets before he even left the base so that he knew where to fly.

Personally I think that the personal, and vechicle based Targeting lasers are a good idea. They do have some uses, and they inspire team work, but if there not there it's no big deal since they don't get used that often.

I am opposed to anything that doesn't require another player, Like I target something and then a Death Star like thing takes them out.
Old 2002-11-07, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

I never played, nor have the desire to, tribes 1/2. I guess if I had had a good computer at the time I would have enjoyed it, but I didn't own my own computer back then... had to settle for what the parental units allowed me.

Thank god for jobs and knowledge of assembly!

And, during April 1st, they should allow make a patch allowing Ion Painters into the game. We got Deathstar.
Old 2002-11-07, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Ion cannon ala C&C Renegade

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion