Using tanks as artillery? 0.o - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: NC does it for Freedom.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-08, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Moloch
Master Sergeant

maybe he's a lawyer, and can sue anything

blahdity blah
Old 2003-01-08, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Tzeen
Private

Lets just say, I know.

And about sounds on artillery, it's actually only sounding until it gets within a certain distance from you, then it goes quiet for some reason (physics, learned that in the army, don't ask me for details though). So when the artillery shell all of a sudden go quiet, you know your in trouble..hehe.
Old 2003-01-08, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Sputty
Banned

Originally posted by Tzeen
Lets just say, I know.

How do you know then? I, and I think everyone else who's read this thread, are probably assuming you're lying or joking. How do you knwo that tanks don't fire in arcs? We have more evidence that it can as seeing lightning have an arc in a video.
Old 2003-01-08, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Moloch
Master Sergeant

yeah, so when it gets loud, you have the little quiet time to pray? see? read the post? And why should we assume you actually were in the army, or know about the tanks? IF THE GODDAMN VIDEO SHOW AN ARC, IT FIRES IN AN ARC!!!!
Old 2003-01-08, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Tzeen
Private

I never said that it doesn't fire in a arc, I said it can't be used as artillery.
Old 2003-01-08, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Sputty
Banned

Why can't it b sued as artillery then. If it fires in an arc it can be used as artillery.
Old 2003-01-08, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Moloch
Master Sergeant

That, my friend, is contradictory, unless it airburst after a certain range. OR the base can somehow shoot it out of the sky...right...otherwise, if it arcs, you can shoo over things. If you can shoot over things, it's artillery. were you in the beta? Or do you know some deadly secret, that if told, Sony will send assassin ninjas after you? How do you know, eh?
Old 2003-01-08, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Tzeen
Private

The reason you can't use it as artillery is that it doesn't arc enough and you just cant get the arc to get over base walls or all the obstacles on the maps and still be able to hit something.
Old 2003-01-08, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sputty
Banned

You can if you can aim well.
Old 2003-01-08, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
The Prudential
Private

Guys I'm going to have to side with no artillery stance here. Even if the tank rounds did arc like artillery is supposed to, it would be hard as crap to hit anything. Modern day artillery is fired using advanced mathematics, long-range spotters, a thorough knowledge of the local area, and sometimes even satellites. I don't see how it would be easy to hit something you can't see in an FPS with a basically point & click interface. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, because it could, I just don't think the designers would have put it in there. A lot of gamers wouldn't want to be killed by explosions falling from the sky. It is realistic, but not a lot of fun for some people. Of course, I'm the exact opposite. I hope there is loads of artillery with map projections and resupply vehicles, but I doubt it'll happen.
Old 2003-01-08, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Sputty
Banned

Stop comparing everything to real life! If that made a good game then they'd have made a bunch of super realistic shooters and other games. Just because something is realistic doesn't make it a good game.
Old 2003-01-08, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
The Prudential
Private

Sputty, don't read half my post, read all of it. First I mentioned what artillery requires in real life. Then I said they could make it into a game very easily, but I don't see where they have done that.

Let me break it down for you. If you are in a tank that is designed, by the devs, to fire at other tanks, you don't need any sort of computer-aided targeting system. Firing in arcs from long distances behind intervening terrain at forces you cannot see is another story entirely. That was the point I was trying to make. Unless the devs wrote in an artillery spotter program like they have in Bf1942 then artillery will not be as useful in PS as it could be. What...are you going to put the gun up into the air and hope you hit something?
Old 2003-01-09, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Vimp
Sergeant

As far as tanks are concerned I imagine if they have any arc that it is very minimel considering how they are to be used. However the Lightening isn't something based on modern day vehicles.

The Lightening Vehicle appears to me to be simelar to a grenade launcher but with alot more force thus the arc isn't that great but its great enough that if you had a flat field full of tanks and people the Lightening could very easily shoot a target that is on the other side by shooting over everything in between as is evidenced in the videos. How easy it would be to aim like that is another matter. If the target is completly obscured due to the fray in between then you can't hope to hit with any acuracy.

But if artillery is defined by there being an arc then the Lightening can be used as artillery for low arc situations. In other words not for shooting over mountains or high buildings or anything like that. Intentionally shooting over trees would probably be difficult for that matter.
Old 2003-01-09, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Tzeen do us all a favour and don't post facts unless you better answer than i know. If you do that it just makes it seem like you've pulled something out of thin air, or the wery least post your theory on why you think it's like that.

And well, depending on what kinds of shells the tanks get and how far the shots go and howmuch the turret can be aimed upwards they might be useable for artillery if they get HE shells... wish we would get some facts out on tanks
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion