Gameplay: Personal stealth fields - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your time has come...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-29, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
kunzadar
Corporal

Personal stealth fields

So pretty much every one who played planetside remembers the stealth field generators that were used to hide vehicles. From what I understand these are most likely not going to be in the game on the sunderer or the galaxy, mostly because it is more fun to have to defend vehicles and spawn points than just hiding them.

Mostly I agree with this decision, but I would still really like to see the return of the stealth fields, there're just a cool sci-fi mechanic.

What if the infiltrator class could deploy a very small, one or two person sized, stealth field? The field would be completely invisible from the outside, unless very close, and be opaque or distorted on the inside. This way you can set up a safe area to hide from tanks or aircraft, but you wouldn't be able to use it offensively as you can't see out. If someone got two close you would be a sitting duck, unable to see the threat approaching.
Old 2012-05-29, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Personal stealth fields

I see what you're saying, like a small squad hiding device, so you can wait in ambush. I like. Would be interesting.
Old 2012-05-29, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

It'd have to be something heavily tested, but something smallish that can only hide something as big as say a lightning would be pretty cool. MBTs, Galaxies, and Sunderers would be too big to hide, but you could setup a few of these and setup lightning/ATV/smallish vehicle supported ambushes.

Make it so you can't see out of the stealth fields(like the AMS) to balance it, so you'd have to have lookouts. Also, maybe darklight headlights on vehicles?
Old 2012-05-29, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jinxsey
Corporal

I'd suggest it as an unlockable deployable for Engineers or Squad Leaders. It lasts for five minutes, can be "recharged" using in-game resources (not a massive cost), and distorts the view from the inside-out. It's vague "shell" can be discerned only at very close range from the outside in the same way that opticaly camoflaged infiltrators can be seen. Darklight would presumably also reveal it's presence.

Give it something like a five meter diameter so you can get a squad under it, maybe a couple of deployables.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

If you are suggesting a mobile Aegis/AMS bubble that is backpack mounted... that would be rad, so long as the carrier isn't OP.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kunzadar
Corporal

I wasn't thinking mobile originally, but that would be pretty cool. If it could move I would think it would have to be at least slightly visible, kind of like a shimmer effect. Or it could be so visible that it would only be effective at night.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault