Concept Idea for Close Air Support Vehicle in PS:N - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Creaming a Vanu in an enforcer: Priceless
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the Warhorse in Planetside Next?
Yes, would be a great compliment to the other vehicles. 21 80.77%
No, the phantasm and the galaxy will suffice. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-17, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
theSpatchula
Private

Concept Idea for Close Air Support Vehicle in PS:N

Ever since I started playing Planetside I always felt I was missing a quick air transport. A vehicle that could lay low but provide fire from its onboard weapons and the occupants inside. So, I began looking at ideas for vehicles and one that came to mind was the Blackhawk.

The Blackhawk is a versitle utility air support vehicle, and a vehicle similar to it would be great in my opinion. So for Planetside Next I created an image of the vehicle id like to see. The name my friend and I came in agreement to was the "Warhorse". The Vehicle is an alteration of its larger counterpart the "Galaxy Dropship". The Warhorse would be smaller and more agile much like a reaver. It would however all transport of one pilot, two chaingunners and four occupants sitting on side of open bay. The occupants sitting onside of open bay would be able to fire as well. This would all for snipers to gain vantage points from the sky.

This vehicle would act much like that of black hawk. While hovering in place, occupants will be able to drop from the ship safetly to the ground whether using ropes or aome sort of anti gravity fall from the vehicle. The vehicle would be mounted wiht two small 12mm rotary chainguns for some protection, but most of the survivability comes from the ability of the pilot and the troops below.

In order to construct the blueprint below I drew up a concept idea using the basis of the new Galaxy render for PS:N. Let me know what you guys think

http://img819.imageshack.us/i/warhorse2.jpg

Update 04/17/11 Alteration of Galaxy to fit specifications of Warhorse
http://img813.imageshack.us/i/warhouse.jpg/

Update 04/18/11 : We will be adding a small ten page - Development Manuscript, illustrating and explaining all our ideas for the Warhorse; as well as a proposed Background History. This will be a PDF booklet you can download and read if you choose.

Update 04/19/11 : The Development Manuscript has been posted, however the Background information of the Warhorse is still in development. Please take a look at the Manuscript, and let us know what you think.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ZmI4YTdi&hl=en

Update 04/22/11 : Prototypes of Warhorse have been spotter on Cyssor.
Photographic Evidence Below ( Wanted to see what Warhorse looked like with Planetside One Engine )
http://img194.imageshack.us/i/warhorseps1.jpg/

UPDATE 4/22/11 :Came up with this idea earlier, this is a quick skeleton structure of a sleeker warhorse let me know what you guys think

http://img854.imageshack.us/i/warhorsevariant.jpg/

UPDATE 4/23/11 :Altered Variant. It's getting better I think

http://img714.imageshack.us/i/warhorsevariant.jpg/

Last edited by theSpatchula; 2011-04-24 at 12:43 AM.
Old 2011-04-17, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Robert089
Sergeant

Re: Concept Idea for Close Air Support Vehicle in PS:N

Looks good to me, I like the idea of passengers being able to fire their weapons.

Imagine filling all the passenger sits with Striker wielding TR and hunting down Vannies, that would be awesome.
Old 2011-04-17, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Haha, that would be awesome. I approve this idea.

I mean, you have so many types of multi-manned ground transports, so if the 2 man Reaver is any indication, I hope we can expect more multi-manned air vehicles as well.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-04-17, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Yeah they couldnt do the shoot your own weapons thing in PS1 since once you get in a vehicle, you are the vehicle. Thats just how the tech works.

Still not convinced its the right choice to let people use their own guns, but could be fun if done right. Keep in mind you would have to disallow using certain weapons such as jammers whether thrown or from a thumper. Or you could keep your target unable to fire indefinately. And there would undoubtably be other issues like that. It could be worked around tho with some limits imposed but its just somethin to keep in mind.

I am very excited for something thats basically a "Flying Deliverer" 1pilot/2gunners/2 or 3 passengers Great for half squad transport or a hit and run air attack vehicle. Or possibly same concept minus the passenger slots. Just the pilot and two gunners. Basically a mini gal gunship, speed slightly more than a lib with about the same armor, maybe a bit more, but with an extended afterburner to help with hit and run. It would have 20mm weapons, possibly 25mm if testing proves it needs more. No rockets, no grenade launchers. Its more for attacking vehicles, not infantry. Less burst firepower than a reaver since it has no rockets and it cant maneuver nor is it as fast as a reaver. But has more armor and with two gunners seperate from the pilot can fly and attack.

Also as far as your choice of 12mm on the Warhorse. Keep in mind in PS, bigger guns dont mean it does more damage. Each mm size is for a different target type. 12mm shreds infantry, it does more damage than a 15 or 20 to softies but does pathetic AV and AA damage. In Comparison a 20mm shreds air and armor but does less to infantry (still does well tho). A 15mm is about mid ways on all three but so far has been a "TR only" kind of thing. On that kind of ship you usually arent so much worried about infantry. Its prob better off with two 20mm guns. Otherwise if you see any vehicles you wont be of much use other than an annoyance or distraction.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-04-17 at 10:01 AM.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
theSpatchula
Private

Its funny you say that about the 20mm, cause actually was talking with a few of the people who helped with the idea and we kind of all agreed that 20mm would be best way to go, and as for using your weapons from the open bay.

That idea came from games like the battlefield series. Aiming while moving on a fast moving air craft can be challenging, but can see the concern with certain weapons and devices.
Old 2011-04-17, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Really like the idea of a black hawk style vehicle. The phantasm and gal do their jobs well, and a half way house would be great.

Size wise it needs to be smaller than the gal as you say.

20mm as people say would probably be best.

Also make it not tech plant dependent so it's available to all.
Old 2011-04-17, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

One suggestion, from a military standpoint.

CAS is not transport action, it is an action performed by low-occupancy aircraft designed to deliver high volumes of lethal fire with pinpoint precision within close proximity to friendly forces. In Planetside's terms, CAS can be performed by Galaxy Gunships, Reavers, and Liberators. My suggestion is, redefine this as something which better fits its definition - an armed light transport.

Of course, this is where DvidLeff's configuration scheme can come in handy, at which point you turn this into a sort of fat-ass Little Bird. Either run as attack (then you can be CAS) or as transport.
Old 2011-04-17, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Bring the Huey to PSN.

Old 2011-04-17, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Dunno exactly why, but star wars clone wars came to mind when I looked at the blueprint.

Anyway I like the general idea of having small sized air-transport, with the role of getting in to a hot zone dropping the payload (the passengers) and get the hell out of the hot zone. If it as fragile as a Libirator, than I don't believe 12mm or 20mm guns will make much of a difference.

If it could stay of radar (like a harrasser) and be very small in size, I believe it would make a decent replacement for the Phantom.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
theSpatchula
Private

Alteration of Galaxy to fit specifications of Warhorse
http://img813.imageshack.us/i/warhouse.jpg/

This is just a photoshopped version of the galaxy haha, but you get the idea of what it might look like in game.

Currently working on full background and details of the Warhorse. Will be up soon as PDF file.

Last edited by theSpatchula; 2011-04-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 2011-04-18, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

I like the idea. I am worried it might be a bit cheap. I had a similar thought for PS1 a long time ago but kept imagining people certing SA and just using it as a platform to "bomb" grenades for easy plasma kills.

Would you be invulnerable while gunning from it? If so it makes it a formidable sniping platform.

That's assuming the galaxy can hover still.
Old 2011-04-18, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
theSpatchula
Private

We believe that the we would restrict not only armor choice, but certain weapons in the vehicle. I mean we may avoid missle, rocket propelled weapons like a stryker because in reality the backblast would end up in the open bay and kill everyone, but again thats not in stone. Also, MAX suits wouldnt be aloud on the Warhorse, they are far to big and clunky.

Yes, you would be vulnerable much like in the battlefield series. Mind you the vehicle it self is lightly armored and cant take much damage, acting more like the armor of a mosquito, maybe a little more then that. Frankly this vehicle would rely on a good pilot for survival. Hopefully we will be aloud to hover in PS:N

We are currently working on 10 page Development Manuscript, that we will post reguarding all our ideas and how we see everything might work.
Old 2011-04-18, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I would have it have the armour and handling of a Lib (or the equivalent in PS2); it is a multicrew vehicle and should therefore be slower and more heavily armoured than 1 or 2 man air cav.

If players can fire their guns out of the sides then they should be able to be targeted individually from the ground as you have said.

I hope that air vehicles in PS2 are much easier to take down; similar to aircraft in the battlefield series where it really comes down to pilot skill if they get shot down or not, along with how good the guys are on the ground using AA.
Old 2011-04-18, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
theSpatchula
Private

I just went through VR Training again in PS1, and I will agree that the liberators attributes probably fit much better. The speed (89 KPH )and acceleration seem good, and I will agree that the 20mm weapons fit better for what this vehicle.

I would hope the occupants of vehicle would be all vulnerable, because nothing more satisfying then picking off a guy firing from the side of a flying vehicle.
Old 2011-04-18, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
kamikava
Private

I agree that players onboard should be able to be targetted from the ground, be fun sniping people inflight.

What about air/air combat however? Will a mosquito be able to strafe past and simply kill all the passengers? I can see that getting abused.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion