The Mine And Light Vehicles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The glass is greener on the otherside the hill. Whats left atleast.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-04-23, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
LordReaver
First Sergeant

The Mine And Light Vehicles

So, I was thinking about how light vehicles get their asses kicked by mines. Here is a simple solution.

Just make each vehicle group take a certain percent of damage from a mine. So a tank would take 100% damage, where a buggy would take less. You could think of it as armor specific to mines.

Alternatively, you could just have a hit box on the bottom...
Old 2011-04-23, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Re: The Mine And Light Vehicles

It'd be better if Mines were not set off by light vehicles.
Old 2011-04-24, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I was under the impression that the reason mines existed was to destroy anything stupid enough to go through them and block off areas of attack until cleared by infantry? Why should light vehicles get special treatment? I mean, it kind of defeats the purpose of mines if only certain vehicles were affected by them.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-04-24, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

In my opinion, all vehicles should get their asses handed to them by mines.
They should have to be very strategically placed, but once you put them down, no vehicle should get through.
Old 2011-04-24, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
LordReaver
First Sergeant

If mines were uber, then vehicle battles would slow down to a crawl. Everybody would be afraid to go beyond a few miles an hour, since everybody and their mother would be planting minefields.

They have to be balanced like every other weapon in the game.
Old 2011-04-24, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Redshift
Major

In old PS 90% of my vehicle time was spent in an ATV, and mines were not an issue, sometimes i'd get caught out, mostly they can be avoided by being sensible.
Old 2011-04-24, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
wildcat140679
Sergeant

I never really had any issues with mines.

Pretty much everybody had their flora turned of meaning you could spot them before you stepped on one as an infantry unit.

As a vehicle pilot, you learned / developed a sixth sense in knowing where you could expect mines and either steered around it or reduced speed so that you could stop on time.

But I do have to agree that the fast vehicles where suffering the most from mines.

Mines play an important role in slowing down vehicles rolling in to your base, I don't believe that tweaking them so that they do less damage to one vehicle type and more to an other is a good idea.

Forumside has been crying for anti-vehicles mines ever since beta, instead of one mine to deal with everything.
Don't feel like digging up one of those links, but I do recall it was always about Proximity mines and Magnetic mines.

Proximity Mines, explodes when you come to close to it. Effective against infantry, slightly less effective against light vehicles (Quads and buggies), but has little effect on the more armored vehicles like tanks

Magnetic Mines, are drawn to metallic object like tanks and deliver a focused payload, but are not set off/drawn to light vehicles or infantry/MAX units.
Old 2011-04-24, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
FiftySeventh
Private

i think the purpose of all mines is to cause serious problems for all vehicles

its like saying " lets give everyone nerf guns so it doesn't cause problems to infantry"
Old 2011-04-24, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Id be happy with Mines for Light Vehicles and Mines for heavy stuff.
Anti personnel mines ala Claymores would be awesome.
Old 2011-04-24, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SavageB
First Sergeant

Umm this thread makes no sense...wouldnt a tank be able to take more dmg then a light vehicle from a mine?? Sorry but these ideas make no sense and id prefer it being like it was.
Old 2011-04-24, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hotohori
Private

Don't be hating on engineers!
Old 2011-04-24, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

I like how you guys think its a bad idea when this is already in game in a similar form. All the buggies take less damage from mines than other vehicles. If it wasnt like this then buggies would be even more useless then they already are. You go so fast that at full damage you would hit like 2 mines and instantly blow up, tanks can take alot more mine damage and go slow enough that once you hit em you can stop and back up or clear the mines. So yeah they do need to take less, prob not be immune but less yes, maybe even less than they do now. The idea of % damage is very good. In fact it would prob end up about the same as it is now but would be more consistant. Buggies still would have to be more careful since they usually eat multiple mines before they can react versus a single or maybe two at most for slower tanks.
Old 2011-04-24, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I just want to point out I've never seen a whole continent covered by mines.

I've also never seen a stretch of road mined for longer then 100 yards, and even that's rare.

Most of the time I trigger mines it's because I'm going into a base, around a tower, or by a choke point.

You're most likely going to encounter mines when there is an actual tactical reason for them to be placed there. I honestly think if you gave some vehicles immunity it would very unbalanced.

Now, if traps worked well, I would say they are a good balance to occasional immunity.

Originally Posted by Hotohori View Post
Don't be hating on engineers!
But really thats all my thoughts break down to
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-04-24 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2011-04-24, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SavageB View Post
Umm this thread makes no sense...wouldnt a tank be able to take more dmg then a light vehicle from a mine?? Sorry but these ideas make no sense and id prefer it being like it was.
Why would I beable to dump a salvo of rockets on one infantry guy and just barely kill him when those same rockets can take out more than a 1/3rd of the armor of a tank? Its a game, things are balanced for balance, not for realism.

Like someone else said, mines kill light vehicles because they move WAY faster than tanks, once you hit the first one your lucky if you can stop before the next 2.
Old 2011-04-24, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
mines kill light vehicles because they move WAY faster than tanks, once you hit the first one your lucky if you can stop before the next 2.
and that is the hazard of a LIGHT vehicle. Heavy Vechs have more firepower, durability and move slower.

I just realized, this whole discussion probably wouldn't exist if you could see mines from a much further distance then you can now. Is the current view distance intentional?
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-04-24 at 05:27 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion