Account wide progression instead of per character. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We dont know what we're doing here either!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-07-31, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Forsaken One
First Sergeant
 
Account wide progression instead of per character.


I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I would love if the game used account wide progression instead of per character progression.

This would allow someone to have a TR/VU/NC and play on what they were "in the mood for playing" and still overall level without being forced to play a character to keep it up with the rest.

Also with all the certs this could easily work, would take nothing from the game and add to the fun time of letting you play what character you want when you want and still be gaining progression overall.

What do you think?

---
Edit: I think something that would also be nice as well would be a "reset char" option.

As such those that want to start fresh on a char or server can do so. But as its a option those that won't like it can just not deal with it.
__________________
Support Human's Intelligence over Monkey's Movement. say NO to twitch and YES to the Art of War.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2011-07-31 at 10:44 PM.
Forsaken One is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Duddy
First Sergeant
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Good question.

Given that the certs/skills you can use are limited by individual character battle rank I can see something like this working, because even if you have some high tier awesome skill you wouldn't be able to use it on a new character due to a low BR.

However, given that we will be able to switch roles easily anyway... will anyone need additional characters?

If it is one empire per server then I can't see the need, as your one character can "do it all" anyway. If it isn't... then I wouldn't want to see it bridge empires.

Having it do so would only contribute to a the ease of switching empire, which given our problems now I don't think anyone wants to see. Alas, with details on this stuff still unclear it's too early to say.
Duddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General
 
Bags's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


You're only allowed one empire per server so this is pointless.
__________________
Bags is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Duddy
First Sergeant
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You're only allowed one empire per server so this is pointless.
So quick to dismiss!

There are other avenues to this discussion yet to be explored... what about it being carried over servers? Even if it is one empire per server, sometimes you may wish to play on a different server, need you start all over again?

That begs a better question of whether you should be able to take your characters to other servers. For all it's faults that is one thing I liked about Global Agenda, the fact I could maintain persistence of character and play on both US/EU servers.

Not to mention that it is the currently the plan that it is one empire per server, things can change.
Duddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sirisian
Colonel
 
Sirisian's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


I'd honestly prefer a single character for each server and empire. Then just have a very long cool-down between switching characters like 24 hours or something. Meaning you only ever make one character in the whole game and there's no reason to have alts.

The whole idea of having to play on another server with possibly worse ping or delete your character and start from scratch just to play the other faction seems a bit steep. I know I'll probably only be playing VS, but it would be nice if you could play as VS and level up and then go on the login screen as see your character then a drop down for the faction you want to play. You'd train skills for one faction and for the other factions you'd just have an accumulated training time where you can just unlock all the skills using hours you've trained on your other faction. That is basically the empire you play as doesn't matter.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-31 at 07:46 PM.
Sirisian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I'd honestly prefer a single character for each server and empire. Then just have a very long cool-down between switching characters like 24 hours or something. Meaning you only ever make one character in the whole game and there's no reason to have alts.
i would also like this, but in the event there is mutiple characters on different empires per server then you should only ever get offline resources for the empire you last played.
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


I would approve of this. I have no issues with being able to switch teams whenever one feels like so long as there are proper limits and incentives to dissuade hopping to an overpopulated empire.
CutterJohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant
 
Sovereign's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
i would also like this, but in the event there is mutiple characters on different empires per server then you should only ever get offline resources for the empire you last played.
This, only add to that in the event there are multiple servers that there's a failsafe mechanism that keeps track of it on account basis to avoid possible exploits.
Sovereign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Valdae
Sergeant
 
Valdae's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


When ps1 came out players were tied into one empire per server, and I really feel that it's helped make the game more special. If u read the facebook page or older topics from this forum it's full of people bigging up their own empire, and poking fun at the others. This kind of loyalty has endured for years even among ex players. Sure using different enemy tech is fun, but if it was easy to switch between them, then a lot if the rivalry would be lost.
Valdae is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
When ps1 came out players were tied into one empire per server, and I really feel that it's helped make the game more special. If u read the facebook page or older topics from this forum it's full of people bigging up their own empire, and poking fun at the others. This kind of loyalty has endured for years even among ex players. Sure using different enemy tech is fun, but if it was easy to switch between them, then a lot if the rivalry would be lost.
People who enjoy that sort of thing can continue enjoying it if they wish. It does not need to be forced. Sports fans manage rabid loyalties despite being able to root for whoever they wish. SC2 players do as well, despite having a choice at the beginning of each map.
CutterJohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sifer2
Major
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
People who enjoy that sort of thing can continue enjoying it if they wish. It does not need to be forced. Sports fans manage rabid loyalties despite being able to root for whoever they wish. SC2 players do as well, despite having a choice at the beginning of each map.

But it is undeniably cheapened when deep down you know you could hop sides tomorrow. But when your stuck with your Empire. Then loyalty takes on a whole new meaning. I see nothing wrong with people who like alts just making alts on other servers to fulfill their needs.
Sifer2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sirisian
Colonel
 
Sirisian's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
But it is undeniably cheapened when deep down you know you could hop sides tomorrow. But when your stuck with your Empire. Then loyalty takes on a whole new meaning. I see nothing wrong with people who like alts just making alts on other servers to fulfill their needs.
yeah I don't see that. Doesn't cheap the experience at all. I mean in the current game you can switch characters and the delay makes it not worth it, but the option is there. This is especially true for beginners that have no clue who they want to play.

I hate games that lock you into arbitrary choices when you begin playing. X, Y, Z. Start playing Y and you end up wanting to play as X on that server and know you'll need to delete your character and start from scratch. This is especially painful if you have friends that don't play the same faction as you. I have friends that play VS with me and other that switch constantly between TR and VS and I fear they'll just play TR if locked into a choice so we won't be able to play on the same side.
Sirisian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Krowe
Sergeant
 
Krowe's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
There are other avenues to this discussion yet to be explored... what about it being carried over servers? Even if it is one empire per server, sometimes you may wish to play on a different server, need you start all over again?
Um no.

The drawback of starting over with nothing on a new server is a drawback I'd much rather keep.
Krowe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Valdae
Sergeant
 
Valdae's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
yeah I don't see that. Doesn't cheap the experience at all. I mean in the current game you can switch characters and the delay makes it not worth it, but the option is there. This is especially true for beginners that have no clue who they want to play.

I hate games that lock you into arbitrary choices when you begin playing. X, Y, Z. Start playing Y and you end up wanting to play as X on that server and know you'll need to delete your character and start from scratch. This is especially painful if you have friends that don't play the same faction as you. I have friends that play VS with me and other that switch constantly between TR and VS and I fear they'll just play TR if locked into a choice so we won't be able to play on the same side.
I appreciate your opinion on noobs wanting to sample empires before choosing one. That makes sense, even tho it would take a long time to gain enough certs to try all empire tech variants. And I always thought players should be able to defect their character to another empire if required, but only at special request.

In truth the majority of peoples friends are from the same empire. I can't see them making empire switching easy for the sake of a minority of people wanting to play alongside friends from other empires now and again. A part of the games legacy depends on making players die hard loyalists to their empire. It thrives on rivalry
Valdae is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sirisian
Colonel
 
Sirisian's Avatar
 
Re: Account wide progression instead of per character.


Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
In truth the majority of peoples friends are from the same empire. I can't see them making empire switching easy for the sake of a minority of people wanting to play alongside friends from other empires now and again.
Are you sure you can make that argument? I'd like to see other's opinion on this. I remember trying to play PS at a LAN party with four of my friends and we had to wait for one timer to count down since he was playing his NC. Then I have Beachball playing TR now and my other friend Jayes who I have no idea what faction he was playing with last. I imagine it was VS. I'm not sure if anyone else has these "problems" when trying to coordinate a night of gaming but being locked into a faction really complicates things especially in an MMO where you want to play with friends.

Originally Posted by Valdae View Post
A part of the games legacy depends on making players die hard loyalists to their empire. It thrives on rivalry
And being able to switch characters has never really messed with that system.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-31 at 11:39 PM.
Sirisian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.