Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: all your quotes r belong to us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-15, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Jimmuc
Corporal

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

imo if ANY mech was introduced to PS2 it would have armor lighter than an lightning but higher than an ATV with weaponry only good enough against infantry but if infantry with AV show up they must flee. speed wise it would be as fast as an lightning or slightly slower but more maneuverable than either the lightning or ATV. another other possibility would make them unique to an single continent that has an landscape not made for tracked vehicles in mind. NO FLIGHT MECHS!!!!!!!

either way i dont really care if an mech is in the game or not. it be interesting yes but whatever
Old 2012-03-15, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Roradan
Corporal

yes what ravmf said i agree but just to make atheosim happy i was just making a state ment they could work in some fashion but i would be very unhappy if they made it into the game
Old 2012-03-15, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

MAX is the only "mech" in the game - let's keep it that way.. please >.>

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-03-15, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Murph
Private

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
I know the majority of people didn't like BFRs, I wasn't around when they were first introduced so I don't really know why cause mechs are cool.

But this is PlanetSide 2 and I think BFRs should be given a second chance because mechs are awesome and they would look BOSS in ForgeLight.

Perhaps if they were exclusive to Outfits that are able to procure large amounts of resources? They would be quite powerful, but much fewer in number because of their difficulty to obtain. They could be really expensive to the point that even the best outfits would barely be able to afford more than one or two per day.

I think if done right, they would be a lot of fun.

Hey you, STFU,

"I wasn't around when they were first introduced so I don't really know why"

EXACTLY so do some research about it you tard and don't talk before said research takes place, people like you thinking "oh this idea would be really neat guys PLEASE PLEASE PUT IT IN" are the reason PS1 turned to hell

In a nutshell, my opinion on this is that a game has a limit on how many aspects it can incorporate before there is no need for any more variants and the addition aspects actually starts to hurt the game.

I'm assuming you are one of those mech fans who wants to have mech fights around the world. Go buy a mech fighting game and leave PlanetSide alone
Old 2012-03-15, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Murph View Post
EXACTLY so do some research about it you tard
lol hostility
Old 2012-03-16, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
CutterJohn
Colonel

I swear the way you people act its like you think BFRs touched you in the naughty place when you were children.

Its irrational. Had BFRs been Heavy Tanks, but with identical stats, nobody would suggest the game not have tanks. It wouldn't even cross your minds. But instead it was a vehicle with legs instead of tracks or wheels, so obviously the graphical representation of how the shitty overpowered vehicle moved is to blame.

Get over yourselves. BFRs didn't ruin planetside. Shitty balance did. You may as well be against a data file, since that was where the shitty balance originated from. They could have been rendered as unadorned cubes and nothing would have been different.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-03-16 at 12:04 AM.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Hydra
Sergeant

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
I know the majority of people didn't like BFRs, I wasn't around when they were first introduced so I don't really know why cause mechs are cool.

But this is PlanetSide 2 and I think BFRs should be given a second chance because mechs are awesome and they would look BOSS in ForgeLight.
This comment made my brain hurt.
Its so fucking idiotic I don't even know where to begin, I do not understand why some of you people are commenting about things you have no idea about.

Instead of ranting and writing a wall of text I'm just going to say

No.
Old 2012-03-16, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Its so fucking idiotic I don't even know where to begin, I do not understand why some of you people are commenting about things you have no idea about.

No.
Yeah let's exclude things from a new game that is going to be completely different just because they didn't work in the first!
Old 2012-03-16, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hydra View Post

No.
Why don't you just defend your fucking position, instead of just calling people that disagree with you idiots and being a dick.

honestly, you could replace the graphics with the current tank with a BFR and there wouldn't be a difference. But fuckin no, there aint no room for robots in this here futuristic war.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-03-16 at 01:45 AM.
Old 2012-03-16, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Well if you want to make a cloaking scout bfr thats all up to you. Or a sniping one even eesh.
I didn't say BFR, did I? Did I say BFR? I'm pretty sure I didn't say BFR...

In fact, I don't think I once suggested a mech should be able to cloak or snipe, let alone a BFR.

I thought the sundy was going to get some AMS-ability?
Nope?

ATV's are fast and cheap. Other than that they were fairly useless. Noob friendly was good. It's a good vehicle to put noobs in and thats all it really needed to be since getting from one fight to the next could be difficult without fast transport.
Sorry I should have been clearer. I'm talking about Planetside 2. I'm not suggesting we put other mechs into Planetside 1.

Lets say it was just a light recon/support vehicle under discussion that wasn't a mech, with a weight-class somewhere between an ATV and a lightning. Would you still be trying to throw up constant reasons for it's nonexistence? Do you actually think there aren't enough different ways to implement scouting, recon and support roles to warrant such a vehicle?
Old 2012-03-16, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I didn't say BFR, did I? Did I say BFR? I'm pretty sure I didn't say BFR...

In fact, I don't think I once suggested a mech should be able to cloak or snipe, let alone a BFR.
My bad, I've come to understand that posting in a BFR thread in defense of someone putting forward a BFR 'lite' suggests that you agree with his position.

Nope?
Again, my bad. I seem to remember when the sundy pics came out that it had an AMS module to it. Or at least currently does for testing. I think that since we only saw the Gal AMS in the GDC videos we only think that it alone has that capability.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I'm talking about Planetside 2. I'm not suggesting we put other mechs into Planetside 1.

Lets say it was just a light recon/support vehicle under discussion that wasn't a mech, with a weight-class somewhere between an ATV and a lightning. Would you still be trying to throw up constant reasons for it's nonexistence? Do you actually think there aren't enough different ways to implement scouting, recon and support roles to warrant such a vehicle?
That'd be the buggy role. I'm not in the know enough to defend the buggy. I didn't use the harasser or the AA variant whatever it was called enough to say if it was bad or good.

From what I used it for it was just to be noob friendly like the ATV but with one squadmate. The wraith did better than it for scouting and the guns on the harasser were outclassed by nearly any MA while still being vulnerable to AV weapons.

I agree with you that scouting needs to be much more fleshed out in Planetside 2 and have even made a thread on such. But I don't think implementing new vehicle types for that express purpose is the best way to solve it rather than rewarding players that seek that as their preferred play style.
Old 2012-03-16, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Get over yourselves. BFRs didn't ruin planetside. Shitty balance did. You may as well be against a data file, since that was where the shitty balance originated from. They could have been rendered as unadorned cubes and nothing would have been different.
Your right in 1 thing they didn't ruin Planetside 1 by themselves, there was plenty of compounding problems. BFR's were the straw that broke the camels back.
If they didn't ruin PS but they bloody well did enough damage to game to leave this lasting impression.

So NO to BFRS or anything that resembles the piles of walking shite,

There are plenty of vehicles and ideas for PS2 that will work far better without all this aggravation.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-16, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

You can live in denial about BFRs ruining planetside but they did. The concept of a super vehicle didn't scale in PS when anyone could pull one and it was ridiculous. It wasn't necessary and they didn't fill some combat niche, all they did was screw over the balance of the game.

For all you people that want cool mechs - wtf do they bring to the table? What role do they fill that requires mechs? Please explain how they would be good for Planetside 2. "cool" isn't a good enough reason to risk screwing up the game.
Old 2012-03-16, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Mechs could work but because of what happen in PS1 its just gonna leave people with the fear of a repeat. BF2142 kind of did mechs "okish".Made them be able to own tanks up close and personal and got owned by tanks at medium to long range.But right now I wanna see more things first even before BFRS/Mechs/Gundams are even talked about.
Old 2012-03-16, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
For all you people that want cool mechs - wtf do they bring to the table? What role do they fill that requires mechs? Please explain how they would be good for Planetside 2. "cool" isn't a good enough reason to risk screwing up the game.
They are graphical assets. The only 'role' is what is given to them, which can be anything at all. Cool is the only reason to have any graphics whatsoever. What does the graphical representation of treads or tires or infantry legs bring to the game? Gameplay would be just as functional with featureless bounding boxes of various sizes fighting.

Cool is the only reason to have them(and "I don't think they are cool" the only valid argument against them), because what something looks like has absolutely zero impact on how it functions in a game, and is completely arbitrary.

*Note: I don't actually want a super vehicle though. I just have zero issue with the concept of mechs and think it fits well in futuristic settings.

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
Your right in 1 thing they didn't ruin Planetside 1 by themselves, there was plenty of compounding problems. BFR's were the straw that broke the camels back.
If they didn't ruin PS but they bloody well did enough damage to game to leave this lasting impression.

So NO to BFRS or anything that resembles the piles of walking shite,

There are plenty of vehicles and ideas for PS2 that will work far better without all this aggravation.
BFRs didn't ruin PS1. That little database file that listed BFRs OP stats did it. Shall we rage against database files? Its just as ridiculous of an argument.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-03-16 at 03:31 AM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion