Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Purple is not a color
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-12, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
just make it dull and boring like the TR and NC max, then we can all get along nice

</Troll>
Make it fire laz0rs. Oh, wait...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
just make it dull and boring like the TR and NC max, then we can all get along nice

</Troll>
Lol
ORRRRRR...
Make the MAX about 20 times bigger and make it a vehicle. And change the name to BFR.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Yetiee
Private

Give VS max a boombox on the shoulder wings!
Old 2012-03-12, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
wattle
Private

Originally Posted by WiteBeam View Post
Lol
ORRRRRR...
Make the MAX about 20 times bigger and make it a vehicle. And change the name to BFR.
And make it pilot-able for 4-6 players.

Old 2012-03-12, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
PurpleOtter
Staff Sergeant

Give it the ability to fart rainbow glitter dust, those purple faeries will love it!
Old 2012-03-12, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by wattle View Post
And make it pilot-able for 4-6 players.

With orbital strike markers.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-12, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

As long as it isn't jumpjets I'll be happy.

Lets see..
NC Theme = alpha-strike & durability => MAX with defensive shield
TR Theme = mobility & sustained dps => MAX with overdrive ability & Lockdown
VS Theme = accuracy & maneuverability => ???

Looking for something that either enhances accuracy and/or maneuverability.

Maneuverability ideas:

- Inertial dampeners => enable the VS MAX to fall from high distances and
not take damage (so they get some of the non-OP jumpjet ability). It could be another benefit of the sprint mode mentioned below.

- Sprint-mode => greatly enhances the VS MAX's turning, strafing speed, and increases run speed for a time. Uses MAX capacitor. Sort of like a buffed up speed version of the TR Overdrive that doesn't increase damage but makes the MAX a lot more agile. Could be used to blitz into an area or for escape. Since other MAX are slow this could be an advantage against other MAX fights since the VS max could use this ability to out-maneuver the other max and circle-strafe it faster than the other MAX can. It also gives the VS MAX some ability to dictate an engagement.

Accuracy ideas:
- Charge-up => VS MAX activates an mode that drains MAX capacitor while they "lock on" a target and any shots fired while in this mode are charged-up and delayed. When the mode is disabled (or the capacitor runs out), all of the charged up rounds unleash in a rapid barrage that home-in on the target and do increased damage. The target gets a lock-on warning (even infantry). The idea is that the rounds are more accurate and most likely highly lethal when they all hit the target simultaneously. The tradeoff is that the damage is delayed instead of instant and the target gets a warning. And since it requires capacitor it can't be used all the time. The increase damage is to compensate for the the delay in hit and is counter-balanced by the capacitor requirement.

(Charge-up only works with Quasar & Comet weapons and the lock only works on intended targets, so Quasar locks on to infantry only, and the Comet only locks onto ground vehicles and MAX)

Looking back, I like the sprint-mod but not sure its a good fit. It's a clear maneuverability advantage and gives the VS a unique tactical advantage of "MAX Rush", bu my issue with sprint is that it is close to Overdrive, and "Mobility" and "Speed" are TR advantages, so if anything it would be how the Overdrive works (with a ROF advantage).

I think the charge-up mechanic is a bit more VS-like and is uniquely offensive. It has a definite accuracy theme since the shots home in on the target and the tactical advantage is burst-fire and the ability to hit an enemy hard all at once before they get a chance to react. But it needs the lock-on warning so would-be victims can react to avoid the potential insta-gib that might result. It would also be an advantage in outdoor situations, particularly with the Comet configuration where long range owuld make it harder to hit distant targets. The VS MAX charge-up would allow VS better accuracy at range in those situations, and more burst in close- range situations.

I'm sure both ideas could be improved with some more brainstorming.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Graywolves
General

VS ability should be to cover their entire surroundings with glitter.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Warhound
Corporal

Looking at the pic(the concept art and the render) the MAXes wings they almost look like they have some sort of thruster in them. The wings could be like a thrust vectoring,the thrusters fire and give you a boost in the way you're goin. Kinda like how they have it set up in hawken.

I'm insane I know.

Last edited by Warhound; 2012-03-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
- Sprint-mode => greatly enhances the VS MAX's turning, strafing speed, and increases run speed for a time. Uses MAX capacitor. Sort of like a buffed up speed version of the TR Overdrive that doesn't increase damage but makes the MAX a lot more agile. Could be used to blitz into an area or for escape. Since other MAX are slow this could be an advantage against other MAX fights since the VS max could use this ability to out-maneuver the other max and circle-strafe it faster than the other MAX can. It also gives the VS MAX some ability to dictate an engagement.
This. But no sprint. Didnt you see that wings? And look at magrider and tresher. VS know how to levitate. So instead of sprinting they will levitating (no jumpjets, just few few cm above ground), giving them maneuverability of mag/tresher - faster movement and truning, strafing.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-12, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
This. But no sprint. Didnt you see that wings? And look at magrider and tresher. VS know how to levitate. So instead of sprinting they will levitating (no jumpjets, just few few cm above ground), giving them maneuverability of mag/tresher - faster movement and truning, strafing.
Right, the "effect" is sprint, but animation and look could certainly be levitation. They could glide about like a magrider/thresher/scythe. It would also explain the inertial dampening effect I mentioned where they could survive high falls with that ability activated.

So more horizontal movement/maneuverability instead of vertical movement with the jumpjets.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

give em a short sprint and psi blades on the off hand.

then rename them Zealots.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
VS ability should be to cover their entire surroundings with glitter.
Omg I actually Lol'd. Gotta use this in my sig.

Last edited by WiteBeam; 2012-03-12 at 08:18 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

I think something simple like an AOE burst would work well. I seem to remember them saying all MAX's get a charge ability, meaning this time theyre specfically focused on getting into the middle of the enemy.

A nice AOE that screws everyone over after youve charged into a group would be good. Then there can be a whole skill tree to chosing its effects, large radius, more damage, buff team mates. Or maybe all of the above, flexibility and all that.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sifer2
Major

Probably need to wait until we know exactly what the other two are capable of. They are both rumored to have a sprint, and lockdown.

The theme of the Vanu Tank, and Aircraft are unusual maneuverability. So I would expect something like that. They probably don't suffer the same slow turning penalties. Maybe they have thrusters that allow them to both sprint forwards as well as backwards and side to side.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion