gal drops/ transport gameplay? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This won't hurt a bit...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-23, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: gal drops/ transport gameplay?

Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Okay, that make sense to me, I can see how that would work and why an organises group would want to use it.

I would like to see benefits for those who have chosen to spec for a Gal over combat vehicles.
For example getting xp for each person you drop within a specific radius of a mission target.
Or something along that line.
Most certainly, I'd expect at least assists for each player (much like AMS?) you spawn and drop, naturally could be made more complicated if possible (such as dropping them in the right place like you mentioned)
Old 2011-07-23, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

If they've chosen to spawn in your gal, then you're probably in the right spot, or at least closer than anything else. Something akin to the support XP in Planetside one should do the trick.

As for getting people to actually fly the gal, I don't think it would be an issue. Some people will do it because they enjoy it, some will do it because it's necessary, and most will probably just land it in the CY once they feel an area is under control. You could let it deploy and cloak, but that seems a bit OP if it can also fly and spawn troops while moving. Plus, I don't want to obsolete the AMS if that's also going to be in.
Old 2011-07-23, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

As a pilot on many Galaxy drops I'm hoping that in order to spawn in the Galaxy, you need to be within a friendly SOI. I loved the planning for a Galaxy operation; getting the squad to matrix to a friendly base, getting everyone into the Galaxy within 20 seconds and taking off before the inevitable OS came raining down from space. Then the anticipation of getting to the target, seeing all my Dragonwolf passengers drop in a tight spread at the backdoor, then turn n burn out of the hot zone to rendezvous with my squad back at the matrixed base.

That's what made Planetside for me. Devs, please don't dumb down the Galaxy drops. And I know you are reading this. Because you know what is cool and what needs to be fixed with PS2. The Galaxy does not need to be fixed.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-07-23, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post

That's what made Planetside for me. Devs, please don't dumb down the Galaxy drops. And I know you are reading this. Because you know what is cool and what needs to be fixed with PS2. The Galaxy does not need to be fixed.
Are you implying it took skill to walk up to a galaxy and hit G?

Seems like a huge time saver without removing any depth.
Old 2011-07-24, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Are you implying it took skill to walk up to a galaxy and hit G?
"in order to spawn in the Galaxy, you need to be within a friendly SOI"

It's not about getting in the boat. It's about not being able to fly in a holding pattern over a suppressed base and literally rain down drop pods as soldiers spawn into it. However, with on-squad drop spawning, this is apparently going to happen without a galaxy, sundy or AMS even being present.

My corp had a guy who was a dedicated Gal pilot and being able to organize, load up, fly to destination, drop, escape and get ready for another run was important. Instant board or no.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I was a gal pilot in my outfit. Orders were always to ditch the thing and join the squad, since it was generally faster to just respawn with the group and pull a new one. One of the reasons I like the idea of being able to mission fit a gal as a spawn point is that it provides motivation to keep it in the air instead of trying to ditch it onto an AA max, which seemed to be the general strategy when I played.

If customizing the gal to act as a spawn point required sacrificing, say, speed and firepower to support the troops you drop then maybe you'd see people using both methods depending on the situation?
Old 2011-07-24, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
"in order to spawn in the Galaxy, you need to be within a friendly SOI"

It's not about getting in the boat. It's about not being able to fly in a holding pattern over a suppressed base and literally rain down drop pods as soldiers spawn into it. However, with on-squad drop spawning, this is apparently going to happen without a galaxy, sundy or AMS even being present.

My corp had a guy who was a dedicated Gal pilot and being able to organize, load up, fly to destination, drop, escape and get ready for another run was important. Instant board or no.
Why is nobody shooting it down?
Old 2011-07-25, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They have to know there is a gal to shoot down first.

Old 2011-07-25, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Bags
Lieutenant General

So if you're raining drop pods why is no one aware there's a galaxy?
Old 2011-07-25, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Coreldan
Colonel

Which reminds me, they mentioned about lifting the flight ceiling up, how does this go with AA? At least as NC AA Max, at times Liberators/Galaxies can fly high enough to be unable to lock on to them?

I'm aware of the lock on-hate going on in many threads and personally I like using flak weaponry more, but supposing that there will be some stuff that can lock on, it also requires that the draw distance is equally much (which can kill performance for many). Getting killed by things you can't even see is lame (although I don't mind the flail too much for other reasons)
Old 2011-07-25, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

They're all inside? In that case they may as well have a CY AMS, but that's besides the point... I think. That, or they're blind, AFK, don't know how to look up, or something along those lines...
Old 2011-07-25, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

There are a lot of ways to do a galaxy insertion that don't automatically tell the enemy it is happening until it is too late. And I'm sure PS2 will expand on that.

Old 2011-07-25, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Snow
Private

I imagine that a spawning Gal would fly over enemy positions, drop their load, then fly back to a safer point rather than circling overhead while they wait for people to respawn, then fly back over the enemy position to drop their load again. Rinse and repeat.
Old 2011-07-25, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
There are a lot of ways to do a galaxy insertion that don't automatically tell the enemy it is happening until it is too late. And I'm sure PS2 will expand on that.
Yes, but none of them involve circling a base raining troops from the sky.
Old 2011-07-25, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Yes, but none of them involve circling a base raining troops from the sky.
Indeed, but I thank the players in advance who will be doing that. They provide cover for myself.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion