SOE Services Offline - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Free lube for all terrans!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-05-03, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
wolfkrone
Corporal
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


It seems pretty unfair that SOE is affected by this. Sony could learn a lot from SOE's customer relations.
wolfkrone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
LoopbackZero
Private
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


Here's an article on it: http://www.reddit.com/tb/h31r5
LoopbackZero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
DCode
Private
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


The company said it will grant players 30 days of additional time on their subscriptions, along with one day for each day the system is down.
Wait, seriously? Then this is a good thing.. I recently buy Planetside, and get another 30 days free + maybe a week or less considering how long the system is down.
DCode is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Infektion
Sergeant Major
 
Infektion's Avatar
 
Re: Can't log in?


Originally Posted by Sgt Grizzly View Post
Sorry I don't see the irony. Nearly 99% people living in industrialized countries use the internet - everyone is supposed to be a nerd then? You're pretty myopic to think the only people to surf and use forums are nerds. I don't know the first thing about hacking because when I as young I was out getting laid, doing drugs and skateboarding. Get a clue.
You don't have to be a nerd to know how to quote unquote HACK. LOL, We don't want to hear about your substituted childhood reality, I'm sure you just lived vicariously. Now about having internet and forum posting... I never said everyone, I'm merely referring to someone blaming a group of people and then bitching about it. You sir, are a nerd, just for getting all pissy about it. I think you should go out and get laid and do drugs and skateboard some more instead of dropping into a forum. Oh wait... Doing drugs and skateboarding, LOL! That's hellafunny, you need to get a clue. No one gives a shit. Go on now, freebase or whatever the hell you do.
Infektion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
opticalshadow
First Sergeant
 
Re: Can't log in?


Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
You don't have to be a nerd to know how to quote unquote HACK. LOL, We don't want to hear about your substituted childhood reality, I'm sure you just lived vicariously. Now about having internet and forum posting... I never said everyone, I'm merely referring to someone blaming a group of people and then bitching about it. You sir, are a nerd, just for getting all pissy about it. I think you should go out and get laid and do drugs and skateboard some more instead of dropping into a forum. Oh wait... Doing drugs and skateboarding, LOL! That's hellafunny, you need to get a clue. No one gives a shit. Go on now, freebase or whatever the hell you do.
i just read this, and cannot get over the fact you specifically typed out quotation marks, when you could have just placed them
opticalshadow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Devinator
Private
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


great... sounds like SOE is pretty much one more fuckup away from the final nail in the coffin and now this.
Devinator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Ailos
Contributor
Major
 
Ailos's Avatar
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Just wish these hackers would take on a real cause.
They do - they want to steal our money.

Sony's handling of this entire crisis is somehow familiar to Bush's handling of the Katrina disaster in 2005. A lot of crap could've been avoided if they'd had a quick enough reaction.

Somehow I get this feeling that 100+ million users' (77 PSN + 25 SOE) details don't get accessed in a matter of seconds or even minutes, this entire process must've taken place over at least several hours (despite everything hollywood may have us believe). If you have at least one terminal surpervisor on duty to oversee the situation as they should, I think they might have spotted something peculiar as far as server behaviour goes. There should've been some alarm bells that went off when this happened, and built-in redundancies and securities that could automatically stepped in.

I'm not worried too much about how this will impact PS:Next. SOE's developers are great artists and visonaries, and the original PS game proves that. Remember the game didn't decline because is was badly developed (it could've been better, but I've see much much worse), but because of what happened in the game post-release. I.E. it's these server maintenance folk that didn't pull the plug quickly enough that are partly responsible for the shape PS is in today. (I much rather think it's better to trip a circuit breaker and crash a server, restore its condition from a backup over the next two days than to leave it running, and then have to shut it down for two weeks and counting to deal with the collateral damage.)
__________________
Doctors kill people one at a time. Engineers do it in batches.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2011-05-03 at 03:03 PM.
Ailos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sgt Grizzly
Private
 
Re: Can't log in?


Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
It's 2011 and you are still using the old nerd stereotype? Honestly, how is being knowledgeable about computers any different than being knowledgeable about say, cars or football?
just for arguments sake because I'm bored and the servers are down...

yes, in fact, I think the stereotype is true. Computer Programming or whatever it takes to hack is generally reserved for the more academic, less sociable, and more intelligent segment of society - nerds. Emphasis on "generally" since there are always exceptions to every rule. Likewise the demographic that enjoys football could also be lumped into a stereotype - a classification of society people hate to admit exist because of its tie to discrimination and racism. But in fact the two are mutually exclusive as the former is merely an observation and not a reason to dislike someone.

Nothing wrong with being a nerd. The word is often used as a pejorative but it does, however, signify someone who is often beyond average intelligence and that's a good thing. But somewhere along the way, most were blessed with good brains and awkward social skills making them appear strange or just annoying because of things like their insistence on accuracy which can lead to a break in the flow of an easy going conversation by turning it into a fact fest.

I'm 32 and have worked jobs since I was 17. I've seen a lot in my life and the weirdest, uncleanest(yes sadly that needs to be mentioned. Even our rule book felt the need to mention that showers were required of employees at least 3 times a week), most socially inept group of people I have ever worked with were computer nerds at a game testing company. I literally worked next to Morpheus. Except he was white and had a receding hairline...
Sgt Grizzly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
TRex
First Sergeant
 
TRex's Avatar
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


I dunno , we have a whole group of people laid off at soe . We have this whole debacle of sony security suddenly appear . Maybe 2+2=5 but I get the feeling some disgruntled ex-employee(s) with security clearance laid some groundwork before they left. Clutching at straws I must admit but the thought obviously crossed my mind.
TRex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
NUBLERT
Private
 
NUBLERT's Avatar
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


I blame the parents.
NUBLERT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
LordReaver
First Sergeant
 
LordReaver's Avatar
 
Re: Can't log in?


Originally Posted by Sgt Grizzly View Post
just for arguments sake because I'm bored and the servers are down...

yes, in fact, I think the stereotype is true. Computer Programming or whatever it takes to hack is generally reserved for the more academic, less sociable, and more intelligent segment of society - nerds. Emphasis on "generally" since there are always exceptions to every rule. Likewise the demographic that enjoys football could also be lumped into a stereotype - a classification of society people hate to admit exist because of its tie to discrimination and racism. But in fact the two are mutually exclusive as the former is merely an observation and not a reason to dislike someone.

Nothing wrong with being a nerd. The word is often used as a pejorative but it does, however, signify someone who is often beyond average intelligence and that's a good thing. But somewhere along the way, most were blessed with good brains and awkward social skills making them appear strange or just annoying because of things like their insistence on accuracy which can lead to a break in the flow of an easy going conversation by turning it into a fact fest.

I'm 32 and have worked jobs since I was 17. I've seen a lot in my life and the weirdest, uncleanest(yes sadly that needs to be mentioned. Even our rule book felt the need to mention that showers were required of employees at least 3 times a week), most socially inept group of people I have ever worked with were computer nerds at a game testing company. I literally worked next to Morpheus. Except he was white and had a receding hairline...
I think what you experienced were just people who were more into a given field than you were used to seeing. How often do you see people doing for fun, what they do for work? The more into a field, the more you have to sacrifice elsewhere. Most of the time, social activities (and hygiene, since those two usually go hand in hand) are the first things to go. Why spend time with other people, when you can spend that time doing what you love? Unless that field is a social activity anyways, like sports, dancing, or whatever, you will probably come out looking like a "nerd". Wouldn't matter what you are doing, be it computers, automobiles, or marine biology.

People in upper tiers of a field, look strange to people who are not into the same field. Computers, happen to facilitate people getting to those upper tiers more easily than pretty much any other field. This is due to the explosion of computers in daily life. So you will see a higher quantity of them. Although, the more people there are, the more diluted the effect becomes. This is why I feel the old stereotype is outdated and irrelevant in today's world.

I do agree that the people who did the hacking, are highly skilled. Intelligence could be debatable, they did just land themselves as enemies of a massive corporation, homeland security, and the FBI after all. That being said, I do not see any indication to their social behaviors at all.
__________________
LordReaver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant
 
Re: SOE Services Offline


homeland security, and the FBI

hey dude if you live anywhere else in the world (those other colours on the map of the world) the above really do not mean very much.

Not a lot we can do no point arguing - I am pissed that it could happen but thats a Sony reputation hit. If online is your core business and something like this happens I am sure you have a lot of disappointed employees. You have also just broken the covenant between yourself and your user base which is never a good thing. I hope they fix it quickly and provide an accurate overview to what has been taken and the extent of the hack. The last part I doubt will happen.

(oh penetration testing by an external company every month ftw)
Nephilimuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Sgt Grizzly
Private
 
Re: Can't log in?


Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
You sir, are a nerd, just for getting all pissy about it. I think you should go out and get laid and do drugs and skateboard some more instead of dropping into a forum. Oh wait... Doing drugs and skateboarding, LOL! That's hellafunny, you need to get a clue. No one gives a shit. Go on now, freebase or whatever the hell you do.
I did get laid last night. Was my 2 year anniversary.

Go and think what you want. I've lived my life, and don't need to prove anything, but people like you wouldn't last a second in my world, sweetheart. The stress would make you collapse...


"My mom was good, my dad good, I'm just a shithead"
Sgt Grizzly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Death2All
Major
 
Death2All's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: SOE Services Offline


HEY GUYS, I HAVE AN AWESOME LIFE AND I DON'T LET ANYTHING GET TO ME BECAUSE I AM STRONG. BUT IF SOMEONE CHALLENGES ME ON THE INTERNET AND THINKS OTHERWISE THEN I MUST PROVE MY WORTH TO THEM....BECAUSE I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY THINK. I'M STRONG AND HAD SEX. I AM STRONG.
Death2All is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Sgt Grizzly
Private
 
Re: Can't log in?


Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
I think what you experienced were just people who were more into a given field than you were used to seeing. How often do you see people doing for fun, what they do for work? The more into a field, the more you have to sacrifice elsewhere. Most of the time, social activities (and hygiene, since those two usually go hand in hand) are the first things to go. Why spend time with other people, when you can spend that time doing what you love? Unless that field is a social activity anyways, like sports, dancing, or whatever, you will probably come out looking like a "nerd". Wouldn't matter what you are doing, be it computers, automobiles, or marine biology.

People in upper tiers of a field, look strange to people who are not into the same field. Computers, happen to facilitate people getting to those upper tiers more easily than pretty much any other field. This is due to the explosion of computers in daily life. So you will see a higher quantity of them. Although, the more people there are, the more diluted the effect becomes. This is why I feel the old stereotype is outdated and irrelevant in today's world.

I do agree that the people who did the hacking, are highly skilled. Intelligence could be debatable, they did just land themselves as enemies of a massive corporation, homeland security, and the FBI after all. That being said, I do not see any indication to their social behaviors at all.
Nice someone chill I can have a discussion with...

My experiences stem primarily from my group of friends and their friends. I'm actually friends with quite a few nerds. My best friend is arguably one though much better at the social game than most - in any field. However, this wasn't always the case as he was certainly an awkward guy growing up and came across as uber annoying to the average joe because of his insistence on factual accuracy and general inability to conduct a good interpersonal relationships. That is, picking up on cues like when someone is tuning out of your conversation or when you may have offended them. Generally those with good interpersonal skills do extremely well in position of sales - a job that requires a high degree of social ability because the mood of your client will affect your sales. In computers, it's project orientated so your focus is on the task and not the reaction of another sentient being. Herein lies the major difference. And yes, you're right that will probably be true for any field that is also project orientated like playing an instrument.

Your point regarding the diluting effect may in fact be true. I guess we'd have to do some research to prove it, but I'm willing to concede that my generalization may in fact be too general for contemporary times.

It isn't really my point but there is a loose logical leap between the anti-social behavior of criminal actions and what I was referring to in terms of social ineptness. Both result in annoying behavior that has an impact on others due to an inability to conduct proper interpersonal relationships which builds empathy, which if they had any, they wouldn't have done what they did.

As someone who has faced retaliation from the state(I'm being ambigious for obvious reasons) I hope to god these boys get caught. It'll humble them...
Sgt Grizzly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.