Lightning Question - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whoring aint easy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-22, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
RedBlade
Private

Question Lightning Question

Just got myself a Lightning cert, and I was wondering how I rotate the weapons. I've seen it done, but don't have a clue how.

Thanks.
Old 2003-11-22, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Toggle the mouse-steering option in the key binding menu.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-22, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
RedBlade
Private

Thanks for the help.
Old 2003-11-22, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
TeraHertz
Major

Then, after you've done that, dump the lightning cert and get yourself a REAL tank.
Old 2003-11-22, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Just remember to stick to the edge of the battle and that there is no shame in running for repairs. Also, you hunt grunts, light vehicles and AMSs, don't try to fight with the empire tanks unless they're already damaged or you've got a trick up your sleeve.

Edit: the lightning is a great skirmisher, but it can't stand up to a full scale battle, the damage adds up to fast.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2003-11-22 at 08:08 AM.
Old 2003-11-22, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Incompetent
Edit: the lightning is a great skirmisher, but it can't stand up to a full scale battle, the damage adds up to fast.
The only problem I have with the lightning is that by "full scale battle" you mean a grunt with a Decinator and partial to full cover.

A grunt playing peek-a-boo with a Decinator from behind a tree or on top of a base wall spells death for the Lightning (and all other light vehicles as well).

So for my 3 certs I prefer the Marauder. I can haul 2 buddies around and can wear my Rexo. Also if we run into Mr Deci who wants to play peek-a-boo I park and jump out with another heavy infantry trooper while the grenade gunner keeps him pinned...

BadAsh
Old 2003-11-22, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rayder
General

Misc Info

Yes, no empire tanks unless its the Mag, cuz u can get under it and beat it from there, but especially not the Vanguard, cuz I don't know how many times I've crawled over Lightnings and other vehicles and made them go *pop*.
Old 2003-11-22, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Hence the term "light tank".

A light tank's job was to serve as a big gun for rushing infantry. Light tanks were designed to protect armored infantry fighting vehicles, and to serve as a fast-moving lightly-armed spearhead.

When you plan a static defense, you don't put all your heavy shit on the front lines. You layer it. Behind your obstacles and mines, you generally put mortars, light field artillery, heavy fixed machine gun emplacements. Stuff that can chew through the infantry that tries to breach the obstacles.

That's the stuff a light tank is designed to fuck with. Just like it's name, the Lightning was probably (I'm not a dev or banging a dev) designed to be a fast-attack weapon. Just enough armor to scout around, just enough weaponry to make life hell for infantry and light armor, and the most important feature- Galaxy-portable.

There is no substitute for an accompanying gun platform when you're an assaulting infantryman. The only thing better to bring would be the Marauder, and since you only get one if you're TR or a hacker, the Lightning would be my next best choice. I've driven the Thresher, and there's a reason you don't see too many in the game. THEY SUCK. I've also driven the Enforcer. And while the Firebird missile is a good weapon, it doesn't have the versatility of the Groundpounder mortar. Hence the Lightning.

So in other words. In the hands of an intelligent person with a degree of tactical know-how and a set of balls, the Lightning makes an excellent addition to an assault.
Old 2003-11-22, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
BDMJ
First Sergeant

Another important feature of the lightning is that it has no tech requirement. At the outset of a continental assault fielding lightnings keeps the fights between the defense and the offense from being too one-sided (assuming equal numbers).
Old 2003-11-22, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

The lightning is still my favorite vehicle. It has a lot of firepower for a 1 seater, it's reasonably fast and reasonably armored. Everybody has their own preferences though. Personally, I wouldn't trade my lightning cert for anything.
Old 2003-11-22, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Flammey
Lieutenant Colonel

Lightning is the best Non-tech land vehicle. Mosquito might be good in the air, but unless you can fly descently, it's not the best non-tech vehicle. After all, it doesn't have a 75mm cannon.
Tell you the truth, pound for pound, and punch for punch, the Liberator's 35mm cannon is the deadliest automatic vehicle weapon. Forget the Lightning and go with the Liberator. Fill the Lib with 1000 nose gun ammo, and your set for a while. Unfortunately, You can't go against other air. Maybe get a tail gunner, and split the ammo between you. You'll kick ass.
Old 2003-11-23, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Flammey
Lightning is the best Non-tech land vehicle. Mosquito might be good in the air, but unless you can fly descently, it's not the best non-tech vehicle. After all, it doesn't have a 75mm cannon.
Tell you the truth, pound for pound, and punch for punch, the Liberator's 35mm cannon is the deadliest automatic vehicle weapon. Forget the Lightning and go with the Liberator. Fill the Lib with 1000 nose gun ammo, and your set for a while. Unfortunately, You can't go against other air. Maybe get a tail gunner, and split the ammo between you. You'll kick ass.
I was amazed at the amount of devistation that lib tactic can do. I tryed it a few days ago, works great, just Reavers pwn you bad .
Old 2003-11-22, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rayder
General

Misc Info

Or you can just run into them....
Old 2003-11-23, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

Excellent post Firefly. Couldn't have described the Lightning better.

If people suck in the Lightning and can't chew up even someone carrying a Decimator they need to find something else. If you get hit by a Decimator it's you're own stupid fault for sitting still and making it so easy for them.

A Lightning should be in constant motion unless it has the advantage. Knowing when to run away and repair is another consideration you need to get good at. Throwing a Lightning into a major assault is the wrong tactic for this vehicle. It can be done, but only by someone who has learned all the basic tactics first.

When you first get a Lightning start out by working the edges of the battlefield first and use it for scouting and hunting down stragglers. Give yourself lots of room to maneuver and over time slowly learn to work your way into the thicker battles. Always be mindful that you will eventually take damage and be prepared to withdraw and repair at all times. Practice what I say and you'll find yourself getting kills and staying alive for a long time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion