Sniper gun? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Serving up destruction, one frag at a time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-10, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Nope

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-10, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Phaden
BTW, the tracer is usually phosphurous (sp?) tipped i think. And being hit by one of those is sposedly MUCH worse than a regular bullet.

Tracer rounds are simply full metal jacket (FMJ, or "ball") rounds with a small amount of a combustible chemical compound (usually phosphorous-based) on the back end of the bullet itself. When a tracer round is fired, this chemical burns off over the course of a second or so (typically the bullet�s entire flight). For the human eye, a brightly-burning small object moving at supersonic velocities appears as a bright streak and afterimage. This provides a visual reference for the bullet�s track, which allows the shooter to adjust his point of aim when firing bursts. Because it is used almost exclusively in military-grade weapons capable of automatic fire, tracer ammunition is produced only in common military rifle and machine gun calibers (5.45mm Soviet, 5.56mm NATO, 7.62mm NATO, 7.62mm x 39mm and 7.62mm x 54mm Soviet, .50 BMG, 12.7mm Soviet).

Tracer ammunition only causes damage to a weapon�s bore in rare instances (botches), but it is likely to leave more than its share of chemical residue on the barrel and firing chamber. To reduce this buildup, most users of tracer ammunition load one tracer round for every three to five FMJ rounds in a magazine or a belt. This produces a series of streaks during burst fire rather than a continuous (and relatively expensive) stream of tracers. Some militaries have also experimented with the doctrine of loading tracer rounds as the last three rounds in a rifle magazine. In such an event, the bright streaks alert the shooter that he needs to reload, something that is remarkably easy to overlook in a combat situation where a rifleman is likely to be thinking about things other than counting his shots.

Tracers would never be used in a sniper rifle. Tracers don't do any extra damage or start fires.
Old 2004-03-10, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
TheN00b
Colonel

Yep, what Ait'al knows about PS would fit on a pinhead .
Old 2004-03-10, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

Aital will you please stop posting about the game until you've actually played it. You are the biggest poser i have ever seen. Get a fucking life and stop coming up with these ideas until you've actually played the game. GO HOME LOSER!!!
Old 2004-03-10, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I'm pretty damn tracers do start fires, but they don't do extra damage. A tracer is a phosphorus-tipped round, and if they are used in high grass, they have a possibility of starting a fire, especially during a thick firefight. They don't act like a giant flame arrow if that's what you mean, but they do start fires.

I get my information from common sense and real-life experience, not out of a book, so I can't necessarily cite sources. Whoever told you tracers don't start fires is a retard. I fired over 1000 rounds of ammo through an M60 and started a range fire that caused the range to be temporarily shut down for the day, while the troops went out to beat it out with their BDU tops. I know of other instances, again in grassy terrain, where tracers started fires.
Old 2004-03-10, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Firefly
I'm pretty damn tracers do start fires, but they don't do extra damage. A tracer is a phosphorus-tipped round, and if they are used in high grass, they have a possibility of starting a fire, especially during a thick firefight. They don't act like a giant flame arrow if that's what you mean, but they do start fires.

I get my information from common sense and real-life experience, not out of a book, so I can't necessarily cite sources. Whoever told you tracers don't start fires is a retard. I fired over 1000 rounds of ammo through an M60 and started a range fire that caused the range to be temporarily shut down for the day, while the troops went out to beat it out with their BDU tops. I know of other instances, again in grassy terrain, where tracers started fires.
However, there is a difference between what could happen and what can be reliably reproduced. Under the right circumstances tracer rounds could start a fire. But, to reply on that as a part of any battlefield tactic is folly. The tracer was designed to help the aim of automatic weapon bursts. It was not designed as an incendiary weapon.
Old 2004-03-10, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

lol theres no night in PS. from what ive headd from other peeps play the game first.
Old 2004-03-10, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by BadAsh
However, there is a difference between what could happen and what can be reliably reproduced. Under the right circumstances tracer rounds could start a fire. But, to reply on that as a part of any battlefield tactic is folly. The tracer was designed to help the aim of automatic weapon bursts. It was not designed as an incendiary weapon.
I'm not disputing that at all. I saw "tracers don't start fires" and replied with what I know, having been there to see firsthand.
Old 2004-03-10, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Indecisive
Major General

Hehe. Tracer fire + MCG = pyrotechnic fun. With corpses. Mmmm. Death.
Old 2004-03-10, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Personally I think making people only have visible shtots when shooting tracer rounds could be a change for the better. I've never understood why every gun in the game fired tracer rounds. I like the idea that as a sniper everytime I fire I'm not completely giving away my position to everyone that is even remotely paying attention.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-03-10, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Ait'al
Contributor
General

OK, heres a clue you dumb fucks. Im not talking about real life tracers. Im talking about tracers, the video game concept.

The concept of tracers in games have nothing to do with any real life tracer. It developed completely on its own as a way to show the affect of bullets in some way in a game along time ago.

And the change to "day and night" is one that would be considered almost an entire game rework. Which would add it. That was the comment about adding "Deep night". So you would have very limited range unless you had a light near you or lets say you give darklight the ability to show the stuff at night you couldnt normally see without it for that time(which would be useful untill the visual range extended beyond the range or the darklight again.). If you cant put it together, it means it will be very dark during much of the night. The idea is to work all the existing things into this new night time and give the more mundane things more use during that time. LIke lights. and of course the ability to turn those lights off and on, if it doesnt already exist, so you dont have to give your position away everytime you drive at night etc.

And shut the hell up. This is a very general type of game concept. Im just posting ideas.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-10 at 11:28 PM.
Old 2004-03-10, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Ideas about a part of the game that DOESN'T EXIST. THEY ARE ***NOT*** GOING TO ADD DARKNESS.

PLAY THE FUCKING GAME YOU MORON.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-03-11, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Ait'al
Contributor
General

NO. And im going to keep not playing it just to piss you off.
Old 2004-03-11, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Doop
Major

Originally Posted by Dharkbayne
Ideas about a part of the game that DOESN'T EXIST. THEY ARE ***NOT*** GOING TO ADD DARKNESS.

PLAY THE FUCKING GAME YOU MORON.
He's right.

One that isn't even BR1 doesn't deserve attention to his ideas.

Last edited by Doop; 2004-03-11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 2004-03-11, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Of course, I am against almost any idea that makes it easier on snipers in this game. Snipers are soloist for the most part, and this is supposed to be a team based game. The last thing I want to see on a continent is 100 snipers parked all over the hills surrounding bases waiting for hours to try and snipe the one person not on a hill.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion