Day One: Vehicles and Armor - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: RAM??? We need RAM, pfft!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-10-30, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Tolvy
Sergeant Major

In some games I've played, like Everquest, you didn't need to kill anything to get levels. You could go on quests to get expirience. All you had to do was deliver an item from one part of town to the other. Maybe PS will have something like this so you won't have to run forever just to find someone to kill.
Old 2002-10-30, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Hamma
PSU Admin

Dunno. I read your posts Zarp.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-10-30, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Well, the idea might be to give people a work-up time to gather allegiances, form alliances, etc. I think we will probably start off with a basic transportation vehicle, or some cert points as was mentioned. But I think these basic points should be a one time expendable thing and not transferrable once spent. You will be able to earn more later as the campaign progresses, but those first points are gone once burnt.

I for one wouldn't suggest walking clear across a continent to start a battle with someone. Will fatigue be a factor? If they have day/night cycles, will we require sleep or some form of rest for our characters? In other words, we make a long trek, go straight into battle and expect the troops to act like fresh warriors straight out of the sack? Wonder how detailed this will be?

I would think with the number of people that will be logging in, we will have what is typically called a "target rich environment", or, simply put, surrounded by enemies.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2002-10-30, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Originally posted by Zarparchior
Am I even awknowledged anymore or am I just considered not to make any sense?
I read the part about calming down and took it to heart.

Old 2002-10-30, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
RocketFodder
Keeper of h8ball

No fatigue, no sleeping.

This is an action-oriented FPS, not an RPG

Stamina exists, but almost solely for the usage of implants. You also lose stamina if you are shot. If you jump it uses stamina, but so little it practically recharges by the time you land.
Old 2002-10-30, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
snipe
Corporal

they may start everyone off with a quad cert, but i'm pretty sure the common AR, your empire's Pistol, and the knife wont require you to gain any certs. This means you can get these weapons when you first start.
Old 2002-10-31, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Originally posted by Unregistered
I read the part about calming down and took it to heart.

I'm glad you did.

But I meant about the rest of it. I'm nigh positive that's what is going to happen. So we WILL be able to get some certs off the bat from VR training. In fact, you'll be able to choose since it'll be earned BEP just like you would from killin'. If I had to assign numbers, it would be like this:

You get 300 BEP from VR.

Buggy cert = 250 BEP
AMP cert = 100 BEP
Flechette Rifle = 200 BEP
MAX armor = 300 BEP

Or the like. So you could technically take an amp and a flechette rifle, whip out your pistol and drive the buggy around, or wreak havoc in your new MAX.

**edit: I'm glad SOMEONE reads my posts Hamma.

Last edited by Zarparchior; 2002-10-31 at 04:40 PM.
Old 2002-10-31, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Interesting Idea.

I had always envisioned it being more like "Leveling Up". Where once you reach a certian ammount of BEP's you get a cert, and then you could spend that one cert on anything.

Example:

1000 BEP's = 1 cert
5000 BEP's = 1 cert (for a total of 2)
15,000 BEP's = 1 cert (for a total of 3)

As you went along you might use them like this.....

1st cert = Bolt Driver
2nd Cert = Range Magnifyer Implant
3rd Cert = Stealth Suit

So everything that you can certify in would cost only one cert.
Old 2002-10-31, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Nohimn
Major

Talking

I think you can probably choose 1 cert to begin with or something, otherwise, it would be utterly pointless until about a month later. Maybe you don't, but you get beginning certs depending on what Empire you are on or something. DAMN! This would have been a GREAT question for the next Dev interview!

Old 2002-10-31, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally posted by Unregistered

1st cert = Bolt Driver
2nd Cert = Range Magnifyer Implant
3rd Cert = Stealth Suit
I think I heard that you can only carry a pistol and knife while cloaked in a stealth suit... On the other hand, the stealthed buggy may have storage enough for a couple decent weapons (like that bolt driver, and maybe an anti-vehicular weapon as well).

And I don't think you need certs for implants. From the last dev chat, you just have a number of implant slots (1 to 3) based on your rank, and you can switch implants will with the right terminal.
Old 2002-10-31, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
snipe
Corporal

what would happen if you wanted to unlearn a cert? The Devs said that you can unlearn certs.
Old 2002-10-31, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Hamma
PSU Admin

Dunno.. hasnt been covered in full, it would seem you would gain your BEPs back.

dunno tho

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-10-31, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

That's one of the reasons that I think that BEP's will = a cert, and that everything else will just require one cert.

Let's say that I want to be a dropship piolet so I certify in it. After a few weeks I discover that I'm not on at the same time as most of my Squad so I have no one to fly around. So I decided to unlearn it. I am basically left with a cert that I can then use to get a tank, a MAX, a Masquito or whatever I wanted.
Old 2002-11-01, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Kaikou
Second Lieutenant

I think it will be like asherons call 2

It is impossible to "gimp" your character because you are able to unlearn things. But in asherons call 2, to unlearn something, you must gain as much XP that you put into that skill (i.e. you dumped 1000 XP into that skill, but want to now untrain it) so you would have to gather 1000 XP to completely untrain the skill, I think it would be same with BEPs...it would make sense...so there is a penalty to untraining things, but not a penalty that will scar you for life. That way people couldn't just convert from a soldier to a sniper on the spot by untraining an assault weapon and training the bolt driver...make sense?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion