PlanetSide Skinning. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: didn't you go out with my sister?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2007-08-04, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wetnose5
Private

PlanetSide Skinning.

Hey guys, i know how to skin for planetside but ive lost both the program used to extract the skins, and ive always had the problem of theres like 10 skins for the same thing. Does anyone have any experience with this and can help me?
Old 2007-08-04, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
holiday1
Private

Re: PlanetSide Skinning.

As far as I know you can't skin any models in planetside.
Old 2007-08-04, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

That is correct, you cannot.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-08-05, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Neptune
Private

Even if it is possible - you wouldn't be allowed to do it, because you aren't allowed to change the game files and can be banned if you do it.
Also, the game would patch all the files you changed to be identical with the original ones, if you don't circumvent this.
Old 2007-08-06, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Brigadier General

Misc Info

People have made custom skins for Planetside, it is possible and also bannable.

I forgot who, but someone on Markov from PcP made custom skins and released screenshots on the forums a while back and was later banned because of those screenshots.
Old 2007-08-08, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wetnose5
Private

yes it is possible and it isnt bannable because it isnt detectable.
Old 2007-08-08, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Wetnose5 View Post
yes it is possible and it is bannable but it isnt detectable.
fixed

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2007-08-09, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

That's like saying its not illegal to snort cocaine because you do it in your own home where it isn't detectable.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-08-10, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Why would it be illegal to make skins if they only run on your computer? I don't see the logic? If a peice of software puts a file on your computer the file is yours to do with as needed as a system user and operater. Basic computer logic. If you don't affect them it does'nt matter.

when the heck did people start saying that was illegal in game. No ammount of copyright changes what programs and file design's naturally are and how a computer works. If they wan't to make it unchangable they should make it go over their bandwidth. Their sacrifice. They chose to design the software that way. Encryption does not imply legal status and putting a file one someones PC and running it crosses their threshold for right of usage.

What is allowed and not allowed is based on their software design. they take liberties to stick stuff on your system the way they do so it's is their responsiblity.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2007-08-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 2007-08-11, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
deathkenken
Private

I think the station will download the original files to replace modified files automatically.
Old 2007-08-11, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ekspa
Private

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
Why would it be illegal to make skins if they only run on your computer? I don't see the logic? If a peice of software puts a file on your computer the file is yours to do with as needed as a system user and operater. Basic computer logic. If you don't affect them it does'nt matter.

when the heck did people start saying that was illegal in game. No ammount of copyright changes what programs and file design's naturally are and how a computer works. If they wan't to make it unchangable they should make it go over their bandwidth. Their sacrifice. They chose to design the software that way. Encryption does not imply legal status and putting a file one someones PC and running it crosses their threshold for right of usage.

What is allowed and not allowed is based on their software design. they take liberties to stick stuff on your system the way they do so it's is their responsiblity.
It's what you could re-skin things as that is the problem. Edit: You probably also agreed not to modify the game files in the TOU. While I highly doubt that they'd take any sort of legal action against you, they'd be well within their rights to ban you if they discovered it.

Last edited by ekspa; 2007-08-11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 2007-08-11, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Brigadier General

Misc Info

They can ban you if the want to, they are not even obligated to provide a valid reason.
Old 2007-08-11, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I never got what logic says it's bad to make skins? It doesn't help give someone the ability to hack the network by understanding any of that data does it? So where is the logic in that being disliked?

The horror should someone reskin themselves and their enemies like RPG figures or Barnie dinosaurs and smurfs and smurfets. 8) And the indignity of them jsut doing it on their pc with noone looking. It must trully f them over knowing. The very fact someone is controlling the software on their own pc someone and changing what it does without their approval, and not telling anyone about it! The humanity!! the very thought must send the devs into a fury no one can imagine. lol. I wonder how they really react. They must have a campaing against harmless use of a PC related to all software.

So, besides all that what is their real problem with the skinning in this game? What do they hate about it?

Last edited by Ait'al; 2007-08-11 at 09:57 PM.
Old 2007-08-15, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
yomokita
Private

you can get skins on star wars galaxies, they dont ban you, cos its run on your computer and you only see it. So it really they shouldnt ban you, as its the same company.
Old 2007-08-22, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Neptune
Private

That's why you are not allowed to use your own skins and will be banned when it's detected
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion