Gen holds..... Could they return? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't bring a gun to a Lasher fight.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-04-07, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
PredatorFour
Major

Gen holds..... Could they return?

They were great fun in PS1 and added something extra, whilst being tactically perfect in some cases denying an opposing empire tech for an hour or more while your empire (or the other) pounded away at said empire on the frontlines. Hell, our outfit LFS once blew all the gens we could on Hossin and the NC cr5's on Werner were like WTF! Think its on youtube somewhere lol I know routers helped (for non PS1 players = teleporters that arn't in PS2) but there was still many a gen hold that was done without, with a single cloaker unlocking the door as maxes crashed in! ( ah nostalgia)

Even if it's only for one particular base i'd like to see this gameplay mechanic back....

Like in an interlink....

On Hossin.....

Anyone else think it would be for the better to have this back in ? Maybe wouldn't work in all bases/outposts like but it would still be a nice feature.
Old 2014-04-07, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: Gen holds..... Could they return?

the problem is, what do you deny in PS2? If you deny vehicles, resources, and et cetera people just log off or switch empires. The only thing that can be "denied" that will prompt a reaction is territory. So perhaps you could disable captures from that lattice chain if you blow a "generator".
Old 2014-04-07, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
the problem is, what do you deny in PS2? If you deny vehicles, resources, and et cetera people just log off or switch empires. The only thing that can be "denied" that will prompt a reaction is territory. So perhaps you could disable captures from that lattice chain if you blow a "generator".
I think this is closer to reality as it currently stands. Unlike gen holds, which had the ability to disrupt a faction on a large scale, the only tangible thing you can deny anyone in PS2 is their lattice link.
You can't really do a point hold on bases with multiple cap points, but a well timed drop (at the base behind the enemy 'zerg', right before the enemy flips the point) can throw an entire assault in disarray.

Since I'm having a hard time describing what I'm talking about, here's an example: The enemy is assaulting from Crossroads watchtower down to Tarwich. They've just capped Broken Arch and are moving on Tarwich Depot. As the enemy becomes invested in their assault on the depot (and your guys are getting overrun) you drop a squad onto Broken Arch and deny the enemy their link.

BAM! You've got yourself a hold. Why do I consider this a hold rather than a backcap? Your goal isn't to take the base, but to stall the enemy and eradicate their momentum. As more and more people fall back to deal with you, ideally the guys at the depot are working overtime to kill buses and set up AV/AA on the road.

It doesn't work everywhere, and you need to time it properly but when it works, it works.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2014-04-07, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
OpolE
Sergeant Major

16 April 2014 they return. Just install Planetside 1 mate

4000+ Hours of PS1
Old 2014-04-07, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Hopefully the new resource system will make things like this possible again. Only time will tell.
Old 2014-04-08, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Inifinite ammo and rezzes.

Only way you will 'break' a hold is to get them all at once, you can't try to whittle them down as you could in PS1 if you were trying to dig them out with fewer people.

This added to the fact that MAX play is pure faceroll doesn't instill much anticipation in my mind for anything like this to be 'implemented'.
Old 2014-04-08, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
I think this is closer to reality as it currently stands. Unlike gen holds, which had the ability to disrupt a faction on a large scale, the only tangible thing you can deny anyone in PS2 is their lattice link.
You can't really do a point hold on bases with multiple cap points, but a well timed drop (at the base behind the enemy 'zerg', right before the enemy flips the point) can throw an entire assault in disarray.

Since I'm having a hard time describing what I'm talking about, here's an example: The enemy is assaulting from Crossroads watchtower down to Tarwich. They've just capped Broken Arch and are moving on Tarwich Depot. As the enemy becomes invested in their assault on the depot (and your guys are getting overrun) you drop a squad onto Broken Arch and deny the enemy their link.

BAM! You've got yourself a hold. Why do I consider this a hold rather than a backcap? Your goal isn't to take the base, but to stall the enemy and eradicate their momentum. As more and more people fall back to deal with you, ideally the guys at the depot are working overtime to kill buses and set up AV/AA on the road.

It doesn't work everywhere, and you need to time it properly but when it works, it works.
Yeh it would just be nice to be able to disrupt the 'rolling zerg' and stall them, basically just being as annoying as possible. Even in a game with maxes, infinite ammo and res's, i'm sure a good ol max crash would still sort em out
Old 2014-04-09, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

I doubt it will, for three reasons.
The first one has already been covered in that destroying a gen doesn't really have any strategical impact today.

The second is that you can't really hole up in any of the generator locations of PS2 today (possible exception may be found on revamped Amerish), big enough to hold a squad with just ONE entrance and no fear of being flanked at any time.

Third is that even if you could hole up like in PS1, you'd never get them out in PS2.
In the first game, you knew that eventually the gen holders would run out of ammo, med- and repair-juice. It could take time, but it had a definite upper limit.
PS2 doesn't. You could theoretically keep the maxes alive, in pristine condition and ready to fire in eternity because of the ammo box and how the medical applicator works.
It'd be crazily overpowered.

Last edited by Boomzor; 2014-04-09 at 01:47 AM.
Old 2014-04-09, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

This is true. But, it would be nice to see something similar where the main limiting factor is access from the spawn room. It could have a couple small flanking routes, but he would be small enough to also be choked. That way there is pressure from multiple angles. Eventually, one is going to break.
Old 2014-04-09, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Blynd
First Sergeant

While what you all say is true but if in say a tech plant there was a new gen in a new building designed for this kind of spec ops assault it would allow the denial of Mat's and libs that could even for 5 - 10 minutes make a difference to the better and those idiots who 4th faction or log off cause they can't pull a tank should have their account frozen and told not to be such a baby and fight to get it back online.

It could be possible now by adding a room on mid deck of attach plant with the tech gen in it thus allowing a reasonably organised squad to defend the blown gen and also allowing easy respawn and attack buthe empire to get the gen back online.

The question shouldn't be about the players it's all down to the development team and are they willing to add this into the game.

Last edited by Blynd; 2014-04-09 at 02:27 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion