New player? Share your experience. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Could be worse
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-20, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zulthus
Colonel

New player? Share your experience.

If you've already had your account activated and got to play, what do you think so far?
Old 2013-05-20, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
zeropositivo
Private

Re: New player? Share your experience.

See my ANT post. Having a blast. The Empire timer is really unfortunate tho, and it's definitively preventing me and many more I know from playing alongside each other
Old 2013-05-20, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by zeropositivo View Post
See my ANT post. Having a blast. The Empire timer is really unfortunate tho, and it's definitively preventing me and many more I know from playing alongside each other
what's the empire timer?
Old 2013-05-21, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CrazEpharmacist View Post
what's the empire timer?
Anti-Fourth Empire switching timers.

They used to be 24 hours once upon a time. Before that, no switching allowed, at all.

"One Server, One Empire" was our motto then and still is for me.
Old 2013-05-21, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Anti-Fourth Empire switching timers.

They used to be 24 hours once upon a time. Before that, no switching allowed, at all.

"One Server, One Empire" was our motto then and still is for me.
Ohhhh I love this feature! I believe it's 12 or so hours now. Seems like a great balance.
Old 2013-05-20, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
vieric
Private

First time playing, played a couple hours now, I suppose I'll state my first impressions. After getting over the shock that I actually get to finally play, I entered the game and adjusted my settings a bit, then I entered the game again and actually made a character. I rolled an NC character to start with, and after the rather basic tutorial, I hopped on a shuttle and dropped into my first fight.

Upon hitting the ground, I was immediately fired upon by a passing TR soldier, cue me ending up in the bases spawn room...I started to rush off before noticing I didn't have proper equipment, thankfully I didn't get too far and was able to head back and arm myself properly.

After wandering around the base for a few minutes looking for an exit and trying to learn how to read my map properly, I emerged outside on the bases roof, most of the opposition was on a rocky outcrop a considerable distance from the base, It was definitely a job for a sniper rifle, but alas I did not have one, I sat there for a moment taking potshots at them before deciding I would be of more use elsewhere.

I was right, the base was starting to get overrun by VS, I feel that for a newbie, I managed to hold my own pretty well, I didn't do particularly outstanding, but I feel I was competent at least. That is, of course until I decided it would be a good time to throw a grenade, I pulled it out, tapped the mouse button and...dropped it directly at my feet, death ensued.

Sadly, in the end we lost the base, but on the bright side It gave me a taste of what PS1 is about, thus far I am extremely pleased with the game, and will certainly be playing it often in these next 6 months.

In summary, I can say that I found the game as good as I had hoped it would be. The gunplay, while not perfect, isn't nearly as bad as some people made it out to be, it could use improvements, yes, but it certainly isn't just horrible button mashing as I've been told. As for the large number of hallways, I can't make a verdict on that yet, while the battle I was in did not seem so bad, I could see it being an issue if more people were involved, though at the same time, the bases actually felt defensible. I absolutely adore the inventory/loadout system, and cannot understand for the life of me why such a great thing would be removed from PS2. All in all, I find PS1 a highly enjoyable game and great fun.

P.S: if you sent me a tell at one point and I didn't reply back, I apologize, I'm still learning the chat commands
Old 2013-05-20, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by vieric View Post
P.S: if you sent me a tell at one point and I didn't reply back, I apologize, I'm still learning the chat commands
Backspace key is reply to last sender.
  • Tell: /t <Name> ~Example: /t Crator Hello
  • Outfit: /o
  • Squad: /s
  • Platoon: /p
  • Broadcast: /b
*Broadcast only works in friendly Sphere of Influence (SOI). If your empire owns entire continent then it will work as well.
Old 2013-05-20, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zulthus
Colonel

Yeah, I never understood the people that hate 'inventetris'. It's so simple, but they think people are too dumb and lazy to learn it. It's so much better than the simple loadouts of BF3/PS2.

I'd imagine the fights will only get bigger as more people get their sub enabled.
Old 2013-05-20, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
vieric
Private

thanks crator, I actually found a pretty decent source of info after posting, I'm not sure how out of date it is, but it should be sufficient for the basics, at least.

http://planetside.station.sony.com/players/
Old 2013-05-20, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ghodere
Corporal

Game is dated in many ways, but the core concepts remain solid. MBTs have a very short pull timer, oddly. Making a functional support and combat loadout is challenging with the limited certs you start out with (made more fun by the unlimited switching in the first week) but allows so much flexibility and customization it's not even funny. Would write more but I'd like to get back to playing now.
Old 2013-05-21, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Ghodere View Post
MBTs have a very short pull timer, oddly.
Consider the pull timer is just a few minutes because there are other blockades:

Scarcity of certification points to spend (unlike in PS2, you won't pull vehicle after vehicle unless you have less points spend on infantry weapons or support tools. Then of course there is the Tech Plant and because driver =/= gunner, it's a team vehicle and not a personal vehicle.

A good team can keep a tank alive for a really long time though. What do you think of driving the 60 kph tank as an enforced team effort with the Lightning as the solo option? Has any of you tried or seen amphibious warfare yet with the Magrider / Tresher vs Deliverer/Raider/Thunderer?

Some other things I'd like to hear the new player opinions on:

- Emersiveness (menu's as pop ups rather than taking you out of the game and things like certification point spending being tied directly to consoles in the game)
- Consistently present chatwindow / killspam combi
- Having to repair and heal one another instead of automatic regeneration
- TTK comparison
- Tension and adrenaline rushes experienced
- How downtime feels
- Travel time and preparation time
- Combat Engineering (minefields, turrets, etc)
- Tutorials (have you managed to find them in game? -> character pop up: training missions)
- SOI restricting drop pods (HART building in Sanc) vs Spawn Beacons in PS2
Old 2013-05-21, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Whiteagle
Major

Some other things I'd like to hear the new player opinions on:

- Emersiveness (menu's as pop ups rather than taking you out of the game and things like certification point spending being tied directly to consoles in the game)
Eh, I don't know...
Menus are kind of annoying to constantly need to tab out and reposition just to read, but with third person view it is rather preferable to a single pop-up that leaves you a sitting duck.

I don't mind Certifications needing a Terminal to learn, but is there any way to check unlearned Certs without heading to one?
Kind of annoying to head all the way back to the Sanctuary or whatever specific Facility has them just to check what I could get.

- Consistently present chatwindow / killspam combi
Meh, I found the chat controls rather clunky, but that might just be me dealing with its old interface.

Uh, Figment, aren't you forgetting Medical Terminals?

- TTK comparison
Honestly... Not that much higher from my experience.

Yeah, it's a bit slower due to the hit-scan random nature of weapons, but I was still getting gibbed in about the same encounter speed.

- Tension and adrenaline rushes experienced
Way more exciting by far!
I don't know if it's the threat of Instant Re-secures, or the fact that bases actually have segregated Interiors allowing a few Infantry inside to actually be a real problem.

- How downtime feels
With the higher levels of excitement downtime is actually a welcomed break to allow one to recover.
The much wider, stabler Front Lines also allow for this to happen naturally after an assault has been repelled, greatly reducing player fatigue.

Seriously, I played from sometime late yesterday afternoon till 9 this morning!

Admittedly that could just riding a new game buzz, but it does help that a base isn't going to immediately going to flip control just after you spend an hour defending it.

- Travel time and preparation time
Travel on foot is a bit of a slog, but it does help sell the vastness of the play area.

I can understand why the Vets complain about Planetside 2 being so cramped, the Original Continents feel about 50% larger in comparison to the Player Character.

Prep time is all right considering you actually have an Inventory to Manage rather then various alterations and attachments of the same things.

Do like stocking the Trunk of whatever I'm driving with extra ammo, so when I lone wolf and leave my ATV lying about someone can get into it to resupply.

- Combat Engineering (minefields, turrets, etc)
Haven't gotten to the point where I could use it, but DAMNED is it nice to see effective CE.

Minefields are actually FIELDS, I think you can cover the huge gate of a Base with two rows, and you can put up TANK TRAPS to create a funnel!
Automated Base Defensive and Spitfires are also great, they make an empty base actually have some challenge to approach instead of just going around capping in a Vehicle.

...Also, DOORS ARE AWESOME!!!

Why do we not have hackable door shields to, you know, keep people from just waltzing into bases?

- Tutorials (have you managed to find them in game? -> character pop up: training missions)
Someone in Command was kind enough to repeatedly mention them in the TR Chat, and it certainly helps considering how much different and various the controls are here.

Alternate fire modes that actually do something Different are WAY better then needing to constantly switch between two barrels on the same weapon.

- SOI restricting drop pods (HART building in Sanc) vs Spawn Beacons in PS2
Very much welcomed honestly...
It's nice that an Attacker can't just land an entire squad within your walls, because then the walls can actually be useful instead of eye candy.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
I don't mind Certifications needing a Terminal to learn, but is there any way to check unlearned Certs without heading to one?
Kind of annoying to head all the way back to the Sanctuary or whatever specific Facility has them just to check what I could get.
Biolabs have a room near the control console that have Cert Terminals and Implant machines (or whatever they're actually called...).
Old 2013-05-21, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Koadster
Sergeant Major

I enjoyed being able to equip my chainblade and turning it on. If inter-empire Proxy worked Id go running around screaming "im going to carve you a new asshole" hahahahaha. Immature? Properly, funny as fuck? Yep!

- Gunplay.. SO BAD, even compared to BF1942 or Global operations.

- I liked the lockers, I like micromanagement so this hit a good nerve with me. But having a 'standard' inventory with the class system in PS2 is certainly streamlined and reduces downtime.

- The base design seemed good. I like the multi-storied bases with corridors, how they play out is a different matter but from a design perspective I liked them.

- Having a mess room/lounge room/sleeping room in the bases was a nice touch, made them feel more like bases that were used then just generic structures, Also the increased amount of propaganda was cool.

- Doors, I didnt think I would care. I do like having them ingame.

- I LOVE the Marauder model, I hope TR get that model reused in PS2.

- Enter/Exit animations were cool, but with PS2's TTK I think you could be killed pretty easy while still trying to get out.

- Underslung MCG... Need I say more?

Even just looking out at the landscape and game size, even by todays standards you could tell in 2003 this game was well ahead of time technologically. Biggest gripe, they used Global Operations music; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPHbrFCOUsU

That is the most underated FPS of the 20th century. It had class system before BF1942, it had reviving before BF2 made it cool.

Doing healing in PS1, buggy as shit. Give me PS2 healing anyday. Plus I manaully heal people because it gives more points

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR

Last edited by Koadster; 2013-05-21 at 08:09 AM.
Old 2013-05-21, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Responses from a few members in my outfit that are new to the game.
  • "I really love the inventory setup. I feel as if I have tons of options in how I setup my loadout before I go into combat."

• "The bases actually feel like real bases, there are doors and mess rooms. I spent the first 30 minutes just running around the interlink looking at everything."

• " I love that I can drop more than 3 mines. The ability to actually setup entire minefields is awesome. I feel like a real Engineer. There is just so many options compared to PS2."

I'll add more as I get more feedback.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2013-05-21 at 08:29 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion