Wear and tear on Vehicles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Quote me happy!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-17, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Purple
Sergeant Major

Wear and tear on Vehicles

Wear and Tear on Vehicles
sorry the thread is misspelled i know no way to edit it..

i think it would add alot of personality to vehicles if as over weeks of use the paint on players vehicles can become faded, chipped, and scratched. i was thinking that every 100 or so times you call in a tank, the paint becomes a little faded and so on. now there would need to be a stopping point so the colors can still be seen.

i know that not all players will want this so a good way to keep everyone happy there needs to be a way to repaint using a very small amount of resources so no one will complain.

Last edited by Purple; 2012-03-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 2012-03-17, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Re: whare and tean on vehicals

I would only want wear and tear on my vehicle from bullet holes and hitting things with it. And it would only last on that vehicle till I ditched it for a new one. I wouldn't want wear on a brand new whip.
Old 2012-03-17, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by WiteBeam View Post
I would only want wear and tear on my vehicle from bullet holes and hitting things with it. And it would only last on that vehicle till I ditched it for a new one. I wouldn't want wear on a brand new whip.
This.... because its the future! A new vehicle in Planetside is actually a brand new vehicle assembled from nanites....

Definately wear & tear effects when you have a vehicle and it gets shot up though.
Old 2012-03-17, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
This.... because its the future! A new vehicle in Planetside is actually a brand new vehicle assembled from nanites....

Definately wear & tear effects when you have a vehicle and it gets shot up though.
You would think this to be true, but vehicles we have seen so far have the "war torn paint job" look to them. I never understood that. If the vehicle is brand new assembled from nanites, why the hell is the paint rubbed off in certain places? Maybe we need some PS2 lore from the writers to explain this, e.g. nanite corruption or something.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-17 at 09:05 PM.
Old 2012-03-17, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Purple
Sergeant Major

Re: Wear and tear on Vehicles

well even if they come out new everytime it would be cool to see some mud splashes on them if you drive through a field or something.
Old 2012-03-17, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
You would think this to be true, but vehicles we have seen so far have the "war torn paint job" look to them. I never understood that. If the vehicle is brand new assembled from nanites, why the hell is the paint rubbed off in certain places? Maybe we need some PS2 lore from the writers to explain this, e.g. nanite corruption or something.
Because it was worn when it was saved into the system? Imagine, the NC could only produce one tank, the rest are copies
Old 2012-03-17, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Vehicles should come out shining (or at least whatever the original imprint was) and get dirty as they drive and keep battle scars until they decon!

It'd be awesome to see a mudcaked, scorched and scraped tank rolling around, you know the guys piloting that are good.
Old 2012-03-17, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shanesan
Sergeant

Perhaps the wear and tear is the base skin, and they are going to have a brand-spanky-new shining overlay on top and as it takes damage and rides, the top layer starts to fade and this part just hasn't been implemented yet?
Old 2012-03-17, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

I'm not on board with the OP's idea.

I believe:
When you spawn a new vehicle it should look new (or close to it). When it gets shot up, it should look shot up. When it's about to explode, it should look like it's about to explode.

I'm also not opposed to the idea of environmental altering of the vehicle aesthetics. Such as dust, mud, or water altering the visual appearance of the vehicle.
Old 2012-03-17, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by WiteBeam View Post
Vehicle damage is confirmed.

Obviously though, they're shooting for AAA here.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-18, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

The Vanguard would turn into nothing but shades of grey lol.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-18, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Figment
Lieutenant General

How about wear and tear for non-premium users and premium users get the choice to have a better looking one? Just a cosmetic change, but an incentive to get premium.
Old 2012-03-18, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
How about wear and tear for non-premium users and premium users get the choice to have a better looking one? Just a cosmetic change, but an incentive to get premium.
LOL. As soon as I read this my mind started going and taking the idea further. F2P vehicles that backfire, cough, wheeze, creak, and smoke out the tailpipe would be hilarious. Make them all rusty and dirty like they just got re-purposed from the salvage yard. Guns and armor would be all rag-tag and beat to shit looking.

They could probably do this with decals.
  • Have a worn, but not dirty, base model skin
  • Use "clean-up" decals to make the clean worn skin look new.
  • Use generic dirt & rust decals.

As fun as the idea is, I can't see it happening though.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-18 at 11:36 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
LOL. As soon as I read this my mind started going taking the idea further. F2P vehicles that backfire, cough, wheeze, creak, and smoke out the tailpipe would be hilarious. Make them all rusty and dirty like they just got re-purposed from the salvage yard. Guns and armor would be all rag-tag and beat to shit looking.

They could probably do this with decals as mentioned earlier.
  • Have a worn, but not dirty, base model skin"
  • Use "clean-up" decals to make the clean worn skin look new.
  • Use generic "dirt" & rust decals.

As fun as the idea is, I can't see it happening though.
This would be awesome. You could then have an outfit that plays F2P only and they would be famous for having beat up,falling apart gear and vehicles. You would see this column of vehicles coming up the road with black smoke belching out the tailpipes and pieces falling off and you would be like " Look,the misfit platoon is coming to our rescue".
Old 2012-03-19, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Considering how each vehicle is recreated with Nantes, each time, I'm not sure how this fits lore wise.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion