Crawling on the ground... missing? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ammunition sold separately.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-30, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dropshockmedic
Private

Crawling on the ground... missing?

Just a small question.
Is it just my imagination or is the crawling on the ground missing currently?
There should be Infantry that is able to pull it off. At least Infiltrator, Medic and Lightassault.

Nothing better as having updated all your spots with carmo that matches the environment you are currently in and then you crawl over the ground like a camelion. ^-^
All your UI-symbols and stuff that enemys can see will disappear and you are able to proceed with 30% of the normal runningspeed.
And just when you thought its safe now... a droppod lands on you. ^^
Old 2012-07-30, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gugabalog
Major

Re: Crawling on the ground... missing?

Unfortunately prone does not exist as a gameplay mechanic. It's been heavily discussed and due to the nature of this mmofps it will likely not be included.

If this game were more of a sim than what it currently is it would fit. Unfortunately (for you and me) it is not.
Old 2012-07-30, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dropshockmedic
Private

Hmmmm, I see. Thanks for the answer.

But the reasoning is still strange.
The nature of the game is exactly that or not?
To dodge the enemys bullets as good as possible and hide as good as possible.

My guess is that the developers think if people could crawl, they are practically at the same invisibility level as the Infiltrator with active-carmo.
Since the carmo IS really ineffective in my eyes.

But then again, no betakey and its just my guess if the carmo is not upgraded with costumizations, if this even exists in the game and if its still to weak even with all upgrades.
- The reloadingtime should be 50% of the time it can be active.
- If you stand still, the blur-effect should be 50% weaker as well and last 90% as long as if you would run.

THEN it would be an awesome carmo.
Ahhhhh... Offtopic again.
Old 2012-07-30, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Most people are afraid of camping, but the fact is that strategic placement is a part of war. I'm all for prone but most hate.
Old 2012-07-31, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Novice bot
Sergeant

Originally Posted by berzerkerking View Post
Most people are afraid of camping, but the fact is that strategic placement is a part of war. I'm all for prone but most hate.
Agreed. Lack of prone only promotes faster advancing, more zerg rushing than prone in place. Being in prone gives the positioned guy an advantage. And that's how it should be. More trench war and stalemates, bottle necks and all that!
Old 2012-07-31, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gugabalog
Major

I am for it as well, but can understand why they wouldn't put it in.
Old 2012-07-31, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Littleman
First Lieutenant

They want a dynamic battlefield, one that is constantly moving and in flux. Hexes should be changing hands often.

That said, they have mentioned they may try out prone during beta, as it's one of those sensitive issues they feel they'll need to see play out on the mass scale before determining if it's detrimental or beneficial to game play.

I'm personally not for prone, mind you. It's good for making sure I'm behind cover in a way that I can't be hit, as opposed to the all too often occurrence of my head peaking out just above cover, but it may encourage dolphin diving (if poorly implemented) and grant ridiculously small silhouettes for snipers already augmented with active camo.

But ironically, most of all, I just don't like it because there are no vents to crawl through, and I doubt tanks can roll right over a prone player without crushing them, even if there may be more than enough clearance. Seriously, if it's just for combat purposes, it's being under utilized and over simplified to simply being something you do before opening fire.
Old 2012-07-31, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gugabalog
Major

Why is dolphin diving a bad thing? Do I misunderstand what it is? Besides a way to advance under heavy fire?
Old 2012-07-31, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
Why is dolphin diving a bad thing? Do I misunderstand what it is? Besides a way to advance under heavy fire?
It's a bad thing because it's annoying. Well... I think it's annoying. It's expected for one to do it to win in games that allow it, but I'd rather games not allow it, 'cause I'm selfish like that. They're mostly arena based, CQC games though. Notably, CoD.

There are ways to discourage it however, such as forcing someone to enter crouch first or at least coming to a full stop, then they can prone. Also putting some deployment time into it that prevents firing during the process may discourage simply slamming into the ground the moment they're under fire, making it more of a preparatory action, not a default reaction.

Again, this is something they might test during beta, because it's a pretty big design decision that could and probably will change the way people play the game. Some people like myself just don't care for prone. I'd be happy with a really low immobilizing crouch beyond crouch that doesn't let me do anything except reload and switch out my weapons. My main concern is the classic "cover is not high enough for crouch" scenario and that's about it.

Thing is, because of PS2's scale, prone could be totally awesome to have in game, so I'll need to prep my mind for that possibility.

As an aside, if I were calling the shots I'd like to see SOE take a look at Brink and introduce something akin to S.M.A.R.T. to Planetside 2, though that might be a huge undertaking, even if they did start on it earlier in PS2's development. I admit I don't really know how that system works precisely.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gugabalog
Major

Yea, it's either have prone or have sticky cover. I am in favor of prone for that. Plus prone would seem liek a big deterrent to zerging to one degree or another.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Cuross
Master Sergeant

There's just a whole lot of cover (rocks, buildings, crates) all over the place. I think that prone/crawling will be the least of your worries. And don't get me wrong, if they can get prone right in this game then not only will I be mildly surprised, but I will also be quite proud of them. But as it stands and how I see it now, cover is never usually more than a quick sprint away so we shouldn't be worrying about hiding too much.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gugabalog
Major

Prone isn't only about hiding it's about not having one's head stupidly popout due to crouch not being appropriate to utilize whatever height cover.
Old 2012-08-01, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
WVoneseven
Corporal

I think currently the majority of terrain is designed to be hid behind in crouch and shot over as you stand... which is sort of realistic in that there is no efficient way to pop up out of a prone to fire (try yourself).
BUT THAT BEING SAID.
I believe prone would be a positive for situations lacking substantial cover as in a real combat situation. Say a TR or VS company is moving along a canyon road into NC territory and a recon ambush team of cloakers and LAs opens fire from the cliffs. Surely the weak pathetic victims should have the opportunity to dive cowardly to the sides of the road!!!. Of course the NC snipers would be laying in their positions as well!

If they can make prone work as a first reaction or preparatory action the team will have been successful imo.
Old 2012-08-01, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Cuross
Master Sergeant

I dunno, looking at all the videos I've seen and rewatching them anyway, it looks like we won't have any trouble with our heads inconveniently popping out over cover unless we just aren't paying attention to where we are because all the cover I see is huge and well large enough to provide enough cover for a standing guy. Also, with all the angles we can expect in this game, I suspect that even if you did find relatively low cover, your head is still at risk anyway.

Onto the scenario where you have so little cover that prone is the best act of defense, that's about the only time I actually argue for prone as cover in a game, but again, most areas are so riddled with places to duck around that it seems almost unnecessary for prone as cover. Sure we saw that massive desert, but I think that in those areas we will see primarily vehicle and aircraft dominance anyway so anyone running around that isn't an infiltrator or engineer would be far out of their element.
Old 2012-08-01, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Coreldan
Colonel

It's called proning and "carmo" = camo

Dolphin diving when talking about games (mostly CoD) afaik refers to not only advancing with sprint-prone-sprint-prone, which is definitely a valid tactic, but in CoD you could accurately shoot while mid-air and mid-animation going to prone. So as you ran into someone, people would dive prone to minimize hitbox while shooting the opposition mid air. Extremely ridicilous tactic.

I'm all for prone myself. I can understand why they dont want it in PS2, but wouldnt mind having it. That said, it most likely will never be implemented.

I'd want the whole set though, it's sorta annoying how games devolve in features such as proning and more importantly leaning (WTF BF3?!)

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault