There Has Never Been A Better Time To Play PlanetSide 2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ಠ_ಠ
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-16, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: There Has Never Been A Better Time To Play PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
If I didn't love the game already and I saw this video, I would think:
Why does he sound so desperate if the game is that good?
Why is he doing the companys advertisement job for them? (which is why I asked how much SC he was paid, at times it seems like a shopping list of things that gamers wouldn't say, but marketing teams and managers would)

The video is excessively long, and he repeats himself.
I hesitate to respond to this, but I will.

I believe you are confusing desperation and excitement; it's an emotion I try to convey in videos that may be reaching the general public who have no idea who I am, who SOE is, or what PlanetSide 2 is.

I'm not doing SOE's job for them, at least not intentionally. I'm doing what I've laid out to be *my* job as a dedicated community member, youtuber, and streamer. As I've said in other posts, I'm invested in this series (and have been since 2003 in beta of PS1), and am trying to promote it to others who may not know about it, or who may have quit (especially for performance reasons) and would enjoy a return post-optimization patch.

Again, to reiterate, when I first saw your SC comment I honestly thought you were just joking. If you were serious, I'm not sure what to say. If you are familiar with my other material you should know I dedicate as much time to promoting/playing/streaming/creating content for PlanetSide 2 on a weekly basis as I do my own full time job. It's something I love, not something I've been paid for or asked to do by anyone else. I showcase what I enjoy and explain why, and hope that I will reach other like-minded individuals with those messages. Also, surprise: my day job title is actually Director of Marketing. Forgive me if it's in my nature to act as a marketer even when I'm volunteering to help make an attempt at improving the success of one of my favorite hobbies.

As for excessively long, welcome to my overly thorough personality. See the last 5 replies to this thread for more examples. I did my best to not repeat myself, but I'm sure it happened at some point. Again, it was targeted at a specific audience who I felt like I needed to cover all the bases with, not necessarily veteran players or anyone who would even know PlanetSide-Universe exists.

Last edited by ItZMuRdA; 2013-11-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 2013-11-16, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ItZMuRdA View Post
I've read each and every response to both threads, as well as the many numerous comments posted on the YouTube video. It was an acceptable copy & paste response because I felt it addressed both areas adequately, rather than me trying to reword the same statement just to avoid plagiarizing myself. Make no mistake at how deeply invested I am in the community, there's no laziness here. I feel somewhat insulted that you would even suggest that after all of the selfless efforts I've made.
Oh don't be such a martyr. You are welcome to feel as Insulted as you wish, it's ultimately fruitless and self-defeating to be insulted by such criticism.

Invested or not, mass posting insinuates a lack of thought. You are trying to appeal to the community as much as you are the people outside of the game. There are only a handful of people who go between the different forums, but if you think my comments were insulting, you are fortunate you did not get caught doing this on the Main forums, or you would have been well and truly skewered by the much less sympathetic posters that are there. You say yourself you are trying to win over the community, you are appealing to a very pessimistic and very hostile community by and far. You can't sit there and make many separate and largely optimistic statements and expect for people to Not speak up. When they do speak up, you have to address their concerns at length with hard evidence and work through the false beliefs they possess one by one until you get them to acknowledge their bias. In doing this, they will look back on what you have said and consider it. Not doing this will cause people to dismiss you. You actually responded to these posts, for that I retract my prior statements about how you were dealing with things... but you aren't doing yourself any favors by acting like it is so shocking that people disagree with you. It is a rule of posting on any forum, that if you say the sky is blue, someone will log on to tell you, that you were wrong, because the sky on Saturn has a different atmosphere, so it likely isn't blue, and you were a fool for saying it in the first place

As to the point of my post, you have not addressed the concerns people have expressed here. Your post is for the people who may have been swayed by the optimization changes, to give the game another shot. We have seen a noticeable bump in population even. I agree that now is a good time for people to give the game another shot, if they left only because of performance. Thing is, it is my belief, and it seems to be shared by other people who responded to you, that what is driving people away is not performance as much as it is the lack of the continental lattice and the resource revamp, systems that provide more for players to DO, and some semblance of an End Game. Waiting to really promote your video until Those things are implemented will likely have a much greater effect. Mass posting at that point will generate responses, that will encourage people to look into the game, because people do not just watch your video, they read the responses to it, and if they see an overwhelming number of people who think that you are being over-optimistic and not consider the reality of the situation, it wont help the game.

You are likely someone who is quite aware of development news. You know that there are three things that have been acknowledged by the devs to be the things PS2 has a problem with. 1 of these issues seems to be fast being fixed, optimization. The other two will still turn away Many players: Server pop balance (Ultimately something I don't think we can fix, but it can be improved) and the lack of meta-game enabling mechanics (Something that Will be implemented in the near future). Bringing people back too early, pitching something that asks the community to make such a leap of faith in their eyes, will not catch on as well as if you wait until the resource revamp is in place. All you are bringing back to the game now, are people who will quickly fall into step behind the people wanting meta-game enabling features. We don't even Know what will happen with development of content, and likely wont know until Wednesday of next week. It could be another 2-3 months for more optimizations which will help the game in the long term, but with that kind of time down with no content, the game's pop will be right back to where it was 2 weeks ago by the time we start getting content pushed again. We have seen that happen time and again already this last year.

Do this, when there is a better chance of it having a greater effect. It makes more sense that way.

Last edited by GeoGnome; 2013-11-16 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Edits made to clarify points.
Old 2013-11-16, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by GeoGnome View Post
Oh don't be such a martyr. You are welcome to feel as Insulted as you wish, it's ultimately fruitless and self-defeating to be insulted by such criticism.

Invested or not, mass posting insinuates a lack of thought. You are trying to appeal to the community as much as you are the people outside of the game. There are only a handful of people who go between the different forums, but if you think my comments were insulting, you are fortunate you did not get caught doing this on the Main forums, or you would have been well and truly skewered by the much less sympathetic posters that are there. You say yourself you are trying to win over the community, you are appealing to a very pessimistic and very hostile community by and far. You can't sit there and make many separate and largely optimistic statements and expect for people to Not speak up. When they do speak up, you have to address their concerns at length with hard evidence and work through the false beliefs they possess one by one until you get them to acknowledge their bias. In doing this, they will look back on what you have said and consider it. Not doing this will cause people to dismiss you. You actually responded to these posts, for that I retract my prior statements about how you were dealing with things... but you aren't doing yourself any favors by acting like it is so shocking that people disagree with you. It is a rule of posting on any forum, that if you say the sky is blue, someone will log on to tell you, that you were wrong, because the sky on Saturn has a different atmosphere, so it likely isn't blue, and you were a fool for saying it in the first place

As to the point of my post, you have not addressed the concerns people have expressed here. Your post is for the people who may have been swayed by the optimization changes, to give the game another shot. We have seen a noticeable bump in population even. I agree that now is a good time for people to give the game another shot, if they left only because of performance. Thing is, it is my belief, and it seems to be shared by other people who responded to you, that what is driving people away is not performance as much as it is the lack of the continental lattice and the resource revamp, systems that provide more for players to DO, and some semblance of an End Game. Waiting to really promote your video until Those things are implemented will likely have a much greater effect. Mass posting at that point will generate responses, that will encourage people to look into the game, because people do not just watch your video, they read the responses to it, and if they see an overwhelming number of people who think that you are being over-optimistic and not consider the reality of the situation, it wont help the game.

You are likely someone who is quite aware of development news. You know that there are three things that have been acknowledged by the devs to be the things PS2 has a problem with. 1 of these issues seems to be fast being fixed, optimization. The other two will still turn away Many players. Bringing people back too early, pitching something that asks the community to make such a leap of faith in their eyes, will not catch on as well as if you wait until the resource revamp is in place. All you are bringing back to the game now, are people who will quickly fall into step behind the people wanting meta-game enabling features. We don't even Know what will happen with development of content, and likely wont know until Wednesday of next week. It could be another 2-3 months for more optimizations which will help the game in the long term, but with that kind of time down with no content, the game's pop will be right back to where it was 2 weeks ago by the time we start getting content pushed again. We have seen that happen time and again already this last year.

Do this, when there is a better chance of it having a greater effect. It makes more sense that way.
I appreciate the post and I don't disagree that there are still outstanding issues. For me personally, I don't have as much trouble with them as most seem to. I find enjoyment in the game in its current state (and have for quite some time), enough to be able to happily stream my gameplay 20-40 hours per week depending on my work schedule. That being said, while I acknowledge the things you speak of, I don't necessarily agree that everyone will be turned back away by them, as I (and others) still enjoy what the game has to offer in its current form.

That is really neither here nor there, though. To speak to your comment about the official forums -- trust me, I know. I actually avoided even posting this on Reddit because I just didn't care to "deal with" the attitudes that are so prevalent there. I acted so surprised here because I have come to know and expect a higher level of professionalism from the PSU community than any other public outlet, but I don't think it was such a sin to post a copy/paste reply in two places when I felt that all of the words within were relevant to the threads (and replies) in question. We can agree to disagree on some things and I'm okay with that.

As for the suggestion of re-advertising or otherwise promoting the game for its second wind when there is more going for it content-wise, sure. I don't disagree at all, but part of my "job" (the one I willingly created for myself) is to continue to promote the game in many and varied ways. This was one such way that I thought I could speak to people who were largely interested in, or requiring of optimization and performance updates. That was really the main goal here. I'll make another marquee video, if you will, as I do, for when the Amerish revamp is out; and probably another for the resource revamp, and so on. I didn't feel like I could just sleep on something that was potentially appealing to a large number of individuals just to wait for the "perfect" moment, but I understand where you are coming from.

Thanks for the feedback regardless.

Old 2013-11-16, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

I appreciate the post and I don't disagree that there are still outstanding issues. For me personally, I don't have as much trouble with them as most seem to. I find enjoyment in the game in its current state (and have for quite some time), enough to be able to happily stream my gameplay 20-40 hours per week depending on my work schedule. That being said, while I acknowledge the things you speak of, I don't necessarily agree that everyone will be turned back away by them, as I (and others) still enjoy what the game has to offer in its current form.

That is really neither here nor there, though. To speak to your comment about the official forums -- trust me, I know. I actually avoided even posting this on Reddit because I just didn't care to "deal with" the attitudes that are so prevalent there. I acted so surprised here because I have come to know and expect a higher level of professionalism from the PSU community than any other public outlet, but I don't think it was such a sin to post a copy/paste reply in two places when I felt that all of the words within were relevant to the threads (and replies) in question. We can agree to disagree on some things and I'm okay with that.
To be honest, I would say you would have gotten a more positive response on Reddit than you would on the official forums. Reddit is a place to avoid if you want to talk about MLG, but I find it much better than the official forums for most things (Again, as long as it isn't MLG). Just my observation though. I would also hesitate to say that you receive a largely negative response here. You have many supporters in this thread, you also had a lot of people who agree, but hold the reservations I mentioned earlier. You -did- have a few people openly against you, but it wasn't nearly as venemous as it could have been... be glad Shogun doesn't post as much anymore, for that.

As for the suggestion of re-advertising or otherwise promoting the game for its second wind when there is more going for it content-wise, sure. I don't disagree at all, but part of my "job" (the one I willingly created for myself) is to continue to promote the game in many and varied ways. This was one such way that I thought I could speak to people who were largely interested in, or requiring of optimization and performance updates. That was really the main goal here. I'll make another marquee video, if you will, as I do, for when the Amerish revamp is out; and probably another for the resource revamp, and so on. I didn't feel like I could just sleep on something that was potentially appealing to a large number of individuals just to wait for the "perfect" moment, but I understand where you are coming from.
Fair enough. I think you'll have a greater response when the resource revamp comes out, but again: Fair enough.

Thanks for the feedback regardless.
And thank you for the considered responses to both posts.
Old 2013-11-16, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Damn it, wasted another prox mine. ;]

GJ ItZMuRdA.
If they didn't bribe you with SC, maybe they should have.

I speak negatively because positive language seems redundant to me..
To say that I think your promotion and dedication is admirable and benefits the community as a whole is obvious, and something I'm sure you're told often enough. I slip into negative critique simply because overwhelmingly I see your contributions as good for everyone and I'm not really a backpatter or cheerleader.

I agree with your assessment of the devs for the largest part, they seem really dedicated to making the choices they believe are best (even if I disagree with a bunch of them, I don't doubt their intentions or always fully understand/know the math/figures behind some changes).

I've linked your video to a few players I know and it seems to have had a genuinely positive response; so cheers.
Old 2013-11-16, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
Damn it, wasted another prox mine. ;]

GJ ItZMuRdA.
If they didn't bribe you with SC, maybe they should have.

I speak negatively because positive language seems redundant to me..
To say that I think your promotion and dedication is admirable and benefits the community as a whole is obvious, and something I'm sure you're told often enough. I slip into negative critique simply because overwhelmingly I see your contributions as good for everyone and I'm not really a backpatter or cheerleader.

I agree with your assessment of the devs for the largest part, they seem really dedicated to making the choices they believe are best (even if I disagree with a bunch of them, I don't doubt their intentions or always fully understand/know the math/figures behind some changes).

I've linked your video to a few players I know and it seems to have had a genuinely positive response; so cheers.
No worries, man. I wasn't sure how to really take the tone of your first post, but I understand better now. Thank you (and everyone else who has contributed) for the feedback and support.

Old 2013-11-17, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The video is boring. The game isn't ready to be advertised. Nobody will come back because of what be done so far.
Old 2013-11-17, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Optimization has been great. Im really happy they have been able to accomplish this firstpass. But before we get all celebratory and start inviting peeps back to the game I think we need to cross one more hurdle. This game needs hossin and battle islands implemented into a continental lattice. Everything else would just be extra gravy. And i love gravy.
Old 2013-11-17, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Hamma
PSU Admin

The responses to this thread were a huge dissapointment for me. Sadly my own fan site forum becomes less and less relevant to SOE. The huge masses of negativity all the time is disheartening and I've given up on trying to stop it. Devs won't bother reading when it's nothing but bashing. You would think reading most posts that SOE specializes in killing babies.

Murda has an opinion am she's chastised for it and accuses of taking bribes. Grow up or go away.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-11-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2013-11-17, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

imo I dont think there is ever going to be a "best time" to release any fan videos, I really dont see them making all that much difference at all.
Most of the viewers already play the game.

Perhaps SOE could actually do more with their advertising.
Maybe we'll see a barrage of ads when the PS4 version is released.
If we're lucky we'll could see some residual benefits for the PC version.

I asked a couple of prospective recruits (never played the game) to watch and see if this video got them excited and their response was blah blah blah.
I guess they are only interested in the shorter clips highlighting epic game play action.
I'm probably guilty of falling into that category as well when it comes to checking out games.

A question for ItZMuRdA, if you are streaming 20-40hrs a week, do you use characters other than those in your signatures?
I ask because for so much streaming you have what I would consider a small overall time played in a year of PS2.

Having said that, more power to you and so long as you only promote a positive image of the game SOE will help promote you.

Hamma, there is plenty of negativity about the game on Reddit (could argue more so) but the devs are still very active with regular input.
Old 2013-11-17, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
A question for ItZMuRdA, if you are streaming 20-40hrs a week, do you use characters other than those in your signatures?
I ask because for so much streaming you have what I would consider a small overall time played in a year of PS2.

Having said that, more power to you and so long as you only promote a positive image of the game SOE will help promote you.

I don't regularly play characters outside of those in my signature, though I do have 6 more characters that are between BR5-16 that have just been one-offs for a particular event or what have you.

You should note that I only started streaming seriously once my computer hardware could handle it, and that was mid March 2013, so my average numbers are taken from then forward. I still played a lot in alpha/beta/release, but took a 2 month hiatus early in the year when transitioning to a new job. That said, I still have close to 1200 hours played between my four characters, which admittedly isn't a ton (if I was still in school it would probably be double that) over the course of a year, but even outright divided by 52 weeks it's still an average of 23 hours per week, take off the time for the hiatus and it's about 28. I'm probably going overboard in "showing my work" here, but I think it's a fair estimate. I usually just watch my Xfire hours to have an idea of how much I played in a given week, of which I stream 99% of.

Also, Hamma: Thanks for the post and support, it is much appreciated. See you next week!

Old 2013-11-17, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
OCNSethy
Major

I’m personally seeing newer (or returning) players over the last few days. So if nothing else, people are popping back in to take a look.

From a personal perspective, I’m having a ball and enjoying the game immensely.
Old 2013-11-17, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
The responses to this thread were a huge dissapointment for me. Sadly my own fan site forum becomes less and less relevant to SOE. The huge masses of negativity all the time is disheartening and I've given up on trying to stop it. Devs won't bother reading when it's nothing but bashing. You would think reading most posts that SOE specializes in killing babies.
PS2 community isn't that big, and if it starts "bashing" (which it really doesn't do, the replies mostly contain pessimistic moods, it's not one and the same), then there is a reason for it. Go compare it to latest BF series communities, for example.

Basically there are 2 ways about it:
Either the gamer cast became rotten out of the blue...
Or games modern day developer is offering really deserve that (and PS2 doesn't want to leave the list, despite its potential).

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-11-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2013-11-17, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Murda has an opinion am she's chastised for it and accuses of taking bribes. Grow up or go away.
Personally, i think this is wonderful. I may not agree that the OMFG is going to be able to accomplish the intended result alone, but its a start. I believe that OMFG had to happen before OMGB could be considered. Its the success of that which will determine how many people come back or if newbies stay. Infils getting vehicle hack is what makes my mouth water. And if they throw in a few new conts soon, then all the better.
Old 2013-11-17, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Rolfski
Major

This is one of my many minor efforts to help our community, and I'm hoping it succeeds at doing that. I fear the wrong impression was given to many veteran community members, however, and I'm not sure where I failed to correctly communicate that intent.
This is imo where your intentions got sour:
  1. Wrong forum
    Advertising the game in a notorious bitter vet forum is just asking to be sliced.
  2. Stop rambling!
    I told you this since day one. Your content is great (your infiltrator guide is one of the best out there if you cut out all the slag) but you NEED to stick to the point. Taking 17 minutes for something that can be told in 3 minutes is ridiculous.
  3. Shameless recruiting
    Spending an unnecessary amount in your video on the quite insignificant recruitment program (it only rewards the recruiter really) as a reason to get back in the game, for sure will rise suspicions.
  4. Appearing to be up SOE's ass
    Not your fault tbh. I'm as big of a fanboy as you are and there's really nothing wrong with it, but SOE massively advertising what could be easily interpreted as a shameless self-recruitment video, for sure raises some eye brows.

I feel for you, seriously. What makes me sad is the idea of this community increasingly becoming an irrelevant, sour, dinosaur relic, while the people running it try to keep the positive spirit alive.

Why would devs even read this forum if people posting on it don't even bother to log into this game for months?

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-11-17 at 09:08 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion