15 minute re-secure. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This isn't the forum!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-26, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 15 minute re-secure.

I really, really hope that they do away with 15 minute base hacks.

Did you really enjoy having 30 troops defending the base, but 25 of them afk for the last 10 minutes of the hack?

Sure if the bases are behind enemy lines make them take a while, but no way should a base on the front lines take that long if there are no defenders.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post

Did you really enjoy having 30 troops defending the base, but 25 of them afk for the last 10 minutes of the hack?

Sure if the bases are behind enemy lines make them take a while, but no way should a base on the front lines take that long if there are no defenders.
Easily solvable. Two capture radii (radiuses, for odd plurals sake).

One capture radius for attackers, a small one, in the capture room only.

One capture radius for defenders, base sized, slows down attackers capture time by having defenders within that radius.

No defenders? Reduce capture time drastically.

Add to this an accelerating capture time, starts slowly then speeds up the longer there are no defenders present to defend. This way it offers the opportunity to defend but speeds up in the event no attempt to defend occurs.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-26, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Synapses View Post
Do you have PROOF of this Mdawg? I want to agree man as I love you and your always constructive, but I don't recall anyone saying it was a place holding mechanic.

And yes its 2:40pm and ive been drinking lol.
Of course I have proof.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...7&postcount=23
the capture mechanic shown is nothing like the final capture mechanic. There won't be a single capture terminal, there will be a more distributed gameplay where each team has to attack and hold control nodes to maintain influence on the facility. We didn't have any of that stuff on display at GDC, but you'll get to play it in beta and we'll be adjusting based on feedback there.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-26, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post

In the quote I referenced in my post above this one Higby mentioned several "attack and hold control nodes to maintain influence over the facility"

He also said long ago that the adjacent territories impacted capture time and it apparently varied widely. More adjacent territories means faster capture, while fewer territories means slow capture.

Come to think of it, he did mention the word "influence" back in July in regards to control over territories. It could be that a facility's owner is determined by the number of control nodes that are exerting "influence" over it, and that adjacent territories are one of the factors that affect how much influence is generated.

That 'influence' mechanic could really be what controls the facilities (and possibly all territories).

Perhaps a facility is captured once you reach some number of influence, and each node in the facility generates some. If you have like 4 and the enemy has 3, then you have a small influence gain over them and you will eventually take the base. Or if you have all of the nodes you capture it much faster. Think of it like the Battlefield Conquest maps but ticket generation is the net control points you own sans what the enemy owns.

Taking my speculation a bit further, the influence rate might be determined by adjacent territories. So if you have no adjacent territories, capturing a node in a base would require you to sit on that base for a long, long time to build up enough influence to capture it. Meanwhile if the enemy has all the surrounding territories it wouldn't take them long at all to get the influence amount back up for the resecure.

That could have been what they meant by that whole influence system. And it would explain the adjacency system too.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-03-26 at 06:23 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Easily solvable. Two capture radii (radiuses, for odd plurals sake).

One capture radius for attackers, a small one, in the capture room only.

One capture radius for defenders, base sized, slows down attackers capture time by having defenders within that radius.

No defenders? Reduce capture time drastically.

Add to this an accelerating capture time, starts slowly then speeds up the longer there are no defenders present to defend. This way it offers the opportunity to defend but speeds up in the event no attempt to defend occurs.
That's a bit broad. I wouldn't expect the proximity to be any bigger than the CC room. I guess we'll see how big it is in Beta.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion