Is PS2 going to be intercontinental enough? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: i like cheese and sponges
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-28, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Is PS2 going to be intercontinental enough?

I approve of this idea.

However, I propose a simplification to this system:

If you own the warpgate outpost on both sides of the warpgate, the gate is shielded and only your empire may pass through it unless the enemy hacks it to temporarily disable the shield. If you lose control of the warpgate outpost on one side, the gate becomes neutral and anyone may pass through it. I just want to stick away from the idea that the outposts will only be hackable if you've lost all other facilities on continents - I am unsure if any single empire will truly ever own a whole continent for long, and though it makes defense slightly harder, it's still just easy to protect your empire's flanks.

Furthermore, this idea of a shield that is only operable when both outposts are protected is easier to integrate into the lore - the shields would be human-built, and not part of the actual warpgate. They would be addons that humans built when they start splitting up into empires to try and have a sense of factional territory.

Also, I support the idea that warpgates serve as links between hexes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC lattice1.png
Views:	81
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IC lattice2.png
Views:	79
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IC lattice3.png
Views:	81
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	393  

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-03-28, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I
What kind of map scaling are we expecting for distance between things? For example, in the drawing above, you've got a WG and 2 "facilities" nearby. What kind of distance would there be between those 2 facilities? 500m? more? less? Can answer based on PS1 if PS2 not known.
Old 2012-03-28, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Raymac
Brigadier General

It's likely I'm not understanding this, but how do you get around the problem of getting pushed off of one continent while your "home" continent is pop-locked? You would literally have nowhere to go if you don't have at least 1 spawn point which means you'd get booted out of the game.

Old 2012-03-28, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
texico
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
This still doesn't get around a very simple problem:

Yes, "continent locking" is a goal Planetside vets are familiar with, and think is a good idea.

HOWEVER, the devs have repeatedly stated that the reason they've removed continent locking is that it quite simply removes large areas of land from the fight, for all the reasons that players feel like it's an accomplishment.

You can do that when you procedurally generate over a dozen continents, and don't have the subscription numbers to demand that each continent remain full.

You can't do that when you're handcrafting 64 square kilometers per continent. That's a huge amount of developer man-hours sunk into a big space that you've just said isn't in play so that some of the players can have an arbitrary sense of accomplishment.

Here's another idea: Let's get in beta, and figure out what kinds of arbitrary, emergent goals the system that's in place will support!
Well, I never attempted to address that problem because I don't think it can be addressed, because the two ideas, "locking" (a nicer term is ownership) and "open for all" are completely different stances.

Think of continental ownership in terms of the hex territory ownership system hypothetically. If there was no territory/facility ownership, you could potentially have people fighting eachother on every square km of land at ALL times. HAVING the hex-territory system means that at any one time, most of the land is well within somebodies borders and nobodies fighting there...

But it's necessary, because you have to create a feeling of ownership for the players. You can't just have them spawning and running at each other.

The same is true on an intercontinental level. By having no proper system of ownership and progression of owning continents, there's no feeling of ownership by the players. The sense of ownership is literally EVERYTHING in a tactical game. If there's no ownership of continents, then there's no intercontinental play AT ALL, and the game's scale is therefore reduced... The only thing players will feel like they're fighting to control is hexes/facilities, and not continents or planets like in PlanetSide.

And then, I mentioned this in another thread. You're looking at it the wrong way if you think it's a good thing for people to be able to play on any continent they want at any time. Locking continents means that continents that are locked will feel like PREMIUM content in the eyes of a player. They'll log in one day and see that the battle is taking place on their FAVOURITE cont which hasn't had any fights on it for a couple of weeks, and you can bet that they're going to spend as much time as they can playing that fight, because they don't always get the chance. It's exploiting the "string in front of the cat" psychology of people, and it's perfect too, because most of the time what continent their fighting on doesn't really affect their actual gameplay experience and it's not something they're actually going to feel dissatisfied by... when they DO get to fight on a continent they really like, it will feel like an epic bonus.

So yeah. Plus remember, locking isn't that common especially with a big population. The only continents in PS1 that were ever truly "locked" for extended periods were the home continents, and that was just to do with the way the lattice system rules worked.
Old 2012-03-28, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
texico
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I approve of this idea.

However, I propose a simplification to this system:

If you own the warpgate outpost on both sides of the warpgate, the gate is shielded and only your empire may pass through it unless the enemy hacks it to temporarily disable the shield. If you lose control of the warpgate outpost on one side, the gate becomes neutral and anyone may pass through it. I just want to stick away from the idea that the outposts will only be hackable if you've lost all other facilities on continents - I am unsure if any single empire will truly ever own a whole continent for long, and though it makes defense slightly harder, it's still just easy to protect your empire's flanks.

Furthermore, this idea of a shield that is only operable when both outposts are protected is easier to integrate into the lore - the shields would be human-built, and not part of the actual warpgate. They would be addons that humans built when they start splitting up into empires to try and have a sense of factional territory.

images.

Also, I support the idea that warpgates serve as links between hexes.

I think this works fine too. The reason I said the whole continent needs to be capped first is just because I didn't know if there'd be tactical/balance problems of letting an empire go straight to hacking a warp gate without having tried to take the whole map first, and yeah, I originally imagined the WG would only be usable by that particular empire when they own both WG-stations like you said, and it's fine for it to become "open" when contested (for no reason in particular I originally said that only the empires owning one of the two/both the WG-stations could use the WG-link).

Originally Posted by Raymac
It's likely I'm not understanding this, but how do you get around the problem of getting pushed off of one continent while your "home" continent is pop-locked? You would literally have nowhere to go if you don't have at least 1 spawn point which means you'd get booted out of the game.
Only solution I can think of is not letting the home-continents become pop-locked, or at least, letting them somehow spawn at the uncapturable-foothold but not be able to exit its shields into the continent if it's pop-locked, which is basically what the Sanctuaries would do anyway.

This is one of the finer more situation-specific problems of having only 3 continents. If there were more continents, your scenario is much less likely, and would only occur if a team has lost all the common-continents and is fighting on their home-continent (which would have to be their last continent). If there are any other continents even remotely in their control, they can spawn at the WG-stations (the semi-uncapturable footholds) on those continents they're fighting on instead if their home-continent is pop-locked.

Last edited by texico; 2012-03-28 at 06:04 PM.
Old 2012-03-28, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Orbital stations as a spawn point and staging post for organising massive counter offences on any continent. Allow people to drop pod anywhere on continents that they have no territory controlled.

What you'll see from this is massive counter offences dropping from space onto continents that are controlled by an entire faction or just 2 factions, and it would be a glorious sight to behold.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-28, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by texico View Post
Only solution I can think of is not letting the home-continents become pop-locked, or at least, letting them somehow spawn at the uncapturable-foothold but not be able to exit its shields into the continent if it's pop-locked, which is basically what the Sanctuaries would do anyway.

This is one of the finer more situation-specific problems of having only 3 continents. If there were more continents, your scenario is much less likely, and would only occur if a team has lost all the common-continents and is fighting on their home-continent (which would have to be their last continent). If there are any other continents even remotely in their control, they can spawn at the WG-stations (the semi-uncapturable footholds) on those continents they're fighting on instead if their home-continent is pop-locked.
I don't know how technically possible that would be. Granted I don't know the ins and outs of how the servers manage the players but having an continent allow double the normal player count sounds extremely problematic to me. I'd think that the devs will have the maximum player count per continent already, so any increase to that would be a problem.

Plus back in golden days, it was common to have multiple continents pop-locked. So considering how we are starting with 3, I don't know how easy it would be to just go somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Orbital stations as a spawn point and staging post for organising massive counter offences on any continent. Allow people to drop pod anywhere on continents that they have no territory controlled.

What you'll see from this is massive counter offences dropping from space onto continents that are controlled by an entire faction or just 2 factions, and it would be a glorious sight to behold.
So basically bring the Sanctuaries back? I don't know. Or doesn't being able to drop anywhere kind of defeat the whole purpose of locking a continent?

Plus, while I agree that IF it was coordinated right, a massive HART drop would be cool. I just don't know how effective it would be. Considering the other empires would have more assests at their disposal, a pure infantry drop might not stand much of a chance at surviving.

This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-28, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

A way to make the planet feel more continental and connected is to give each continent its own value and unique properties and give an empire-wide benefit for domination of it that is unique from other continents.

I wrote something in the idea thread about this before:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=36627

Why fight on Indar vs Esamir? Apart from looking at which one might be more lucrative for you, if Indar and Esamir had unique properties worth fighting over then they each have their own value. If they are differnet from a resource abundancy standpoint then that also changes the value of the continent.

The continent domination is also a form of end game and could be used in daily/weekly tracking to see which empire is "winning"
Old 2012-03-28, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
A way to make the planet feel more continental and connected is to give each continent its own value and unique properties and give an empire-wide benefit for domination of it that is unique from other continents.

I wrote something in the idea thread about this before:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=36627

Why fight on Indar vs Esamir? Apart from looking at which one might be more lucrative for you, if Indar and Esamir had unique properties worth fighting over then they each have their own value. If they are differnet from a resource abundancy standpoint then that also changes the value of the continent.

The continent domination is also a form of end game and could be used in daily/weekly tracking to see which empire is "winning"
What if there were 6 different "factories" for certain equipment or vehicles, that you can only make if you hold the hex it's in(and perhaps even one or more adjacent hexes), and of course, they'd be spread out, 2 per continent? Are there any weapons, vehicles, or abilities that would be balanced if you could only have them while you held that base?
Old 2012-03-28, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
What if there were 6 different "factories" for certain equipment or vehicles, that you can only make if you hold the hex it's in(and perhaps even one or more adjacent hexes), and of course, they'd be spread out, 2 per continent? Are there any weapons, vehicles, or abilities that would be balanced if you could only have them while you held that base?
That's how it was in PS1 with Tech Plants and MBTs & Reavers

Old 2012-03-28, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
EZShot
Corporal

I think cross-continent warpgates (not broadcast gates) linked with the new hex system would be perfect.

1 uncappable ES base on each continent. 1 backdoor each. It's easy to understand & extremely tactical.

Last edited by EZShot; 2012-03-28 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2012-03-28, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by EZShot View Post
I think cross-continent warpgates (not broadcast gates) linked with the new hex system would be perfect.

1 uncappable ES base on each continent. 1 backdoor each. It's easy to understand & extremely tactical.
Why can't people understand the concept that if you don't have a spawn point on a continent, and the other ones are pop-locked, then you get booted out of the game?

Old 2012-03-28, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Stardouser
Colonel

That's how it was in PS1 with Tech Plants and MBTs & Reavers
Was there 1 tech plant per continent or several?

Also, I meant that there would be a totally unique vehicle or equipment or upgrade that comes only from one tech plant located in a specific location, and each continent could have 2. Or even 3, one located somewhat near each foothold. Special operations raids to temporarily knock it out could be interesting.
Old 2012-03-28, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Was there 1 tech plant per continent or several?

Also, I meant that there would be a totally unique vehicle or equipment or upgrade that comes only from one tech plant located in a specific location, and each continent could have 2. Or even 3, one located somewhat near each foothold. Special operations raids to temporarily knock it out could be interesting.
Most continents had at least 3 Tech Plants so in theory each empire could have one. I think only Forseral only had 2 Techs.

I think the idea of a special base that produces a special unit is pretty cool and adds a layer of strategy. It certainly goes along with what we know about capturing resources so far.

Old 2012-03-28, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
EZShot
Corporal

Why can't people understand the concept that if you don't have a spawn point on a continent, and the other ones are pop-locked, then you get booted out of the game?
Tbf I'm worried about the amount of servers that there are going to be. If there are only three continents at launch and more than 6000 people at once decide to log on nobody else is going to be able to play :P

If the game kicks off in a big way then the server list is going to be as long as your arm.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion