Planetside 24-7 a community based idea. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is a live fire area. Be on guard.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-12-28, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Planetside 24-7 a community based idea.

Hello all,

Finally I have bucked up the courage to give you all some information on my idea... Planetside 24-7!.

The big idea!

Ok we will start by talking about Planetside 24-7 in general.

The idea behind PS24-7 is to provide a rich gaming entertainment channel (all community created) wich is a colaition of 4 gaming channels in total and all with archives hosted on YouTube. From here we can stream live PS2 content to the masses, and I know a few people say "I would rather play the game than watch it" but from my point of view entertaining people is a forsight here, it wouldn't just be people streaming their games, it will be people streaming for a reason... a reason to entertain!, there will be more on this later.

24-7 will be attempting to stream 24 hours a day 7 days a week hense the name, but the name can also have a duel meaning of "you can access PS2 conetent 24-7" . Although this may be slow at first im more than sure a game like Planetside 2 can deliver more than enough gaming content for this to take place. Infact I already think we have enough content to provide a good amount of this, we just need to put what we have into video form. For example, pictures, videos (of any of the pictures), AGN (if Hamma wants to take part in that way), community created videos - like the podcasts etc, outfit promotional/recruitment videos, music and image videos, music in general, the list can go on for some time.

Main Goals.

The main goal of Planetside 24-7 is to one day become a rich gaming experiance for any person/gamer, and to further promote Planetside 2. It can also act as a place where any PS2 gamer - new or old can come for many things. Maybe to find tutorials, score boards, outfit wars, hero nights (following the top PS2 gamers for a few hours), tips, tricks, info on the best outfits and much more!

Another goal is to keep the game alive. At first I think Planetside 2 will be huge, especially with it being free to play. but in my eyes making it even bigger will benefit all who play, keeping the poulations up for a time period - well after SOE's 3 year plan.
I would like to make this game as big as StartCraft 2 for community content and I know you do to!, and have a player base as close to WOW (world of warcraft) as we can. I know my 1 idea might be aiming a bit high, but im asking for the help of this community right here right now. Help from the PSU community. Even if this "idea" creates 1 new player on PS2, or recruits 1 player to a given outfit, then we have won.

Old content.

As Planetside 2 is still not in its beta I would imagine we have a few months of gathering current PS1 (planetside 1) gaming content to help build our streaming time up. Why forget the origonal game, we all have so many memories within it, to date it is still my most favourite game of all time. And there is nothing like a bit nostalgia!

The Channels

Good news!

They have already been created! - created on the large gaming channel Twitch TV and each channel has an archive on YouTube, (I will provide links at the end of this post). This is also the reason for the delay on getting info to you folks, I needed all this in place to make sure the channels where free and under controll before making this thread.

Channel name/archive

Planetside 2 (TwitchTV) & Planetsde 247 (YouTube)

ES channels (Empire Spacific)

VanuSovereignty (TwitchTV) & VanuSovereignty247
TerranRepublic (TwitchTV) & TerranRepublic247
NewConglomerate (TwitchTV) & NewConglomerate247

Why so many channels?

The idea behind creating so many channels is this. To give the viewer a choice. Why have 1 channel streaming it all? When we can have 4 channels and a much wider choice of content for the viewer.

I will give you an example of what the channels may be streaming on one night (say Saturday Night Outfit Wars!! ).
Imagine - we are streaming a 3 way outfit war on Auraxis. And please also bare in mind we will use only good sporting outfits for these nights!, we will not use screen watching outfits.

NC Outfit = WASP INC
VS Outfit = Xen of Onslaught
TR Outfit = Black Widow Company

The goal here is for the NC or TR to take "base A" from the VS in 3 hours.
(this is an example only)

Planetside 2 (stream)

Commentary on this channel, switching between the other ES channels (this is possible I have checked, but not sure on the workings yet!), giving a greater viewing experience.

VanuSovereignty (stream)

Streaming from a chosen outfit player with the cababilities to do it.
Viewing from the VS Outfit, a playing within the outfit could stream to our channel. Giving feedback on how they are doing, plans tactics etc etc.

TerranRepublic (stream)

"

NewConglomerate (stream)

"

Now how cool would it be in a PS2 gamer just got in from work, and just didnt have the energy to play, so he could kick back and watch this outfit war unfold, also having the option to take a look from any perspective he chose weather he be a NC player, TR or VS. I personally know I would love the ability to do this.

More on the channels.

To provide a good amount of content all the channels could act as a viewport for many things.

Planetside 2 (stream)
Hub of our PS2 content. All empires and videos can be streamed here. Also if we have an outfit war, we could have commentary on this channel, switching between the other ES channels, giving a greater viewing exsperience.

VanuSovereignty (VS stream)

All VS coinetnt can go here. tutorial on weapons, vehicles, other things around the the gaming world. We can also have player submitted content, such as kill streaked, wow moments, how to kill the other empire information, art work, music, outfit promotional videos, news, the list is endless.

TerranRepublic (TR stream)
All TR content.

NewConglomerate (NC stream)
All NC content.

Prizes**(edit)

What would a competition be without some sort of prizes? I will personally put some of my own cash into this to get it of the ground and I will personally support, from my own bank account. All helping to make their exsperience of Planetside 2 a greater one!

Website

A quick note about the website. I would prefere to keep all the content regarding a website here at Planetside Universe, but as I dont want to clog up the forums with this idea we have a spare website, for if things go beyond our limits here at PSU (link provided at end of post).

>>>>>>>Also if Hamma could create a forum dedicated to 24-7 here on these forums, and maybe make me a mod of that forum (for html and other benefits) I would give my "word" that it would not be abused in any way! This would benefit PSU in keeping the forums clean. And if 24-7 or myself do anything the staff dont like, then its just one click and its all gone.

Yes Hamma thats me asking for a forum for this pretty please!! with loads of kisses etc etc!!

Your help

On my own this idea seems a huge task, and to be fair on myself I already think i have made a good start on it. But I havn

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-01-03 at 04:46 PM.
Old 2011-12-28, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Planetside 24-7 a community based idea.

As always, I wish you good luck with this. Sadly my internet connection is so lame that I can't even watch the stream without buffering, let alone actually to contribute to it.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-12-28, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Johari
Staff Sergeant

I love watching streams on my down time so I am quite excited for this. I wish you luck.
Old 2011-12-28, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Alaska
Corporal

I would love to help in any way I could. I love the idea of it all, there's a few streams on twitch I like to watch from time to time.

The only thing I wish didn't happen would be people watching the stream to gain an advantage on you, which may happen from time to time.
Old 2011-12-28, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Coreldan
Colonel

Delay can be set, that's really a non-issue with Twitch.tv

Than again, with Planetside's scale, some things can take dozens of minutes to hours before shit goes down and a 5-10 mins delay might not suffice.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-12-28, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shogun
Contributor
General

the idea sounds good.
not sure if you really can keep it flowing 24/7 but some channels to look at great ps2 action would be such a help to draw in new players!

only thing i am afraid of is the mentioning of making revenue with this.
never ever try to make money with anything that belongs to sony, without a written permission! even if it´s only for prices! before you start such a thing, get into contact with soe, tell them exactly what you want to do and ask for permission!
sure, what you plan is not a big thing, and soe might just say "sure, go ahead!" but without an official "go!" i would not start anything that may generate cash. sony´s lawyers are known for acting fast and seeing everything. and you don´t want to be sued.
Old 2011-12-28, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Always good to plan big. Even if there isn't 24/7 content early on, you can always rebroadcast stuff, with 24/7 live content being the target to shoot for.

I can't think of anything else quite like this, although there aren't really any other games you could do it with either. Planetside is unique in being an action packed massive persistent battlefield. Time to pioneer some social media to fit it's uniqueness.

My connection isn't the greatest right now, so I probably won't by trying to broadcast anything until such a time as I can promise decent quality, but I'll certainly be interested in watching. PSU open in one window, PS247 in another? Time to start eating, sleeping and breathing Planetside 2.

Interesting project. Looking forward to seeing it grow.
Old 2011-12-28, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
GTGD
First Sergeant

What kind of internet connection would you need to have in order to stream PS1, SuperMorto? Mine isn't the fastest, I get 20Mbps down and about 2 up, but I would love to contribute some footage.

If it is too slow to stream, is there any way I can record gameplay without taking a huge FPS hit? I've tried recording with FRAPS before, but my FPS drops to 30 or below (under 60 is unplayable to me lol). Any way I could record it at a lower resolution so performance doesn't suffer?
Old 2011-12-28, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Shogun
Contributor
General

since there will not be enough content in the beginning to broadcast 24/7 i guess broadcasting live is not necessary for everybody who wants to contribute something!
just record while playing and upload the best parts for later broadcast. that´s something most could do with their rigs and connections.

later on, when there are enough contributers with badass connections, the thing could switch to live on a more regular basis.

by the way, @higby: will there be an ingame option to record videos easy with a click? that would be great and nobody would have to install 3rd party recording software to put up some unbelievable footage on youtube or on projects like this!

Last edited by Shogun; 2011-12-28 at 03:28 PM.
Old 2011-12-28, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Having a built in way to record your Planetside 2 replays to video, with easy youtube uploading would be awesome. Built in mechanisms to automatically stream to live streaming sites would be epic.
Old 2011-12-28, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Having a built in way to record your Planetside 2 replays to video, with easy youtube uploading would be awesome. Built in mechanisms to automatically stream to live streaming sites would be epic.
and even more EPIC would be the option to record the video without HUD but leaving it visible for the player!
Old 2011-12-28, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
and even more EPIC would be the option to record the video without HUD but leaving it visible for the player!
They say anything is possible with forgelight, right?

Yes please.
Old 2011-12-28, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

@ Coreldan

Core m8, don't knock yourself out of this yet, once I work out how to stream in different resolutions you can watch, 2mb is still wide broadband. Also givning feedback and maybe being on screen when I'm streaming would be a big help. So I can see what looks good etc.

I will also need a lot of help with the back end of Twitch TV etc, updating names of streams and also on YouTube. If your willing to help out in that way.

Can you take a look at another stream on twitch TV, and give me some feedback as to what resolutions you can see, that are a good enough quality and run smooth m8?.

Also just standing next to, or being in a team/squad of somebody who is streaming will get you in there. If you can play the game you can take part m8.

@ Johari

Thanks for the feedback, inevitably feedback and viewers is what will make this a success. So keep an eye out we may need you to do some testing if your ok with that?

@ Alaska

Thanks for the feedback and the offer to help, its fantastic news for me to see people willing to join in on this.

And about the streaming issues, I'm more than sure we can handle this, in fact screen watching will be very hard to do, in a 1v1 game it can be bad, but in a 300v300v300 stream where 1 stream is constantly jumping from VS to NC to TR, I can imagine it will be hard to do. But if this is not true, then you never know, it might make for some interesting content on the other hand - we should look at screen watching in the same way as we do for cheating and to be fair...... it is cheating.

@ Coreldan

If setting up a delay is what will be eventually needed then so be it. that is what we will do to prevent screen watching.

Cheers for the input, I will look into this a little more.

@ Duke

Duke dude, that's fantastic new m8. This is one of the big areas people can help to get it set-up. I have also just noticed all I need to do is pass the stream key over to you and you can stream on the channel. If we can get enough good people/outfits together on this, they can all have a key, and take in turns to stream. The big 4 channel wars etc can be left for 1/2 nights a week. Things are looking good!!

@ Shogun

Thanks Shogun, this is a project I'm putting everything I have into. I believe this game has so much to offer, from what I experienced in PS1. If we can show some of the content a bit like when we all played PS1, then people will come in the masses, it was so big and such a great gaming experience.

About the revenue, I've edited the post for now. if this does happen, I will be contacting SOE with no problems at all. I would rather work with them to make the game better.

@ Xyntech

Cheers Xyntech, your logo's and feedback have helped so much m8.

I am aiming big atm as the broaden my horizons, I'm sure they will settle in a good spot eventually. keep my options open now then when it all falls together we should have something good.

Unique is the word, PS2 (and PS1 for that matter) are such unique games, and that's why it took me so long to put this idea together. I wanted it to be so right mechanically first. I'm sorry I kept you all waiting, but it had to work and the channels had to be free before I posted.

But its here, and this is when it all starts rolling.

Also connection - as I have said to Coreldan, they mean nothing atm. We can all take part in this and to be fair you already have with the logo's. And if you can get a squad member to stream BAM!! your in it, and you will be on screen as much as the next guy. this is one thing I need people to understand, you don't have to be able to stream to be in this. Just be there when somebody is streaming including myself.

@ GTGD

Like I said to Duke m8, this is a big area I need help with whatever your connection. I need to test many things and if you can provide me with some help I would be more than willing to let you have access to the streaming channels.

Im still not a 100% sure on what can/cant be done as far as streaming goes. But I am looking into it as best I can daily. there is so much testing that needs doing (I'm gona have to start writing things down, so I can make my way through them)

And looks come after performance. If we can get the streams running at a good rate with happy gamers, then I'm sure whatever the quality (as long as you know what is going on) then we are moving forward and things can be slowly increased the more we know learn.

@ Shogun

This is a good point to bring up, and im not sure I made this clear in the OP (original post)

I have the ability to record things already on the internet as most people can. If its on YouTube I can get it and store it on my PC, i can then edit it in any way. I am currently using XSplit to broadcast, and XSplit comes with 12 channels within its self. If I can get a hold of the content I can stream it in full HD if that was its original quality.

I made a post requesting Outfit promotional videos here = http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=38214

The thing that will bog this idea down is if i have to go looking and taking content without permission from outfits/users/players, If I can post requests for content and people say "yea you can use this" I will record it and put it on the stream.

Honestly guys, a picture, a video, some music, vocals, anything that is on the internet already can be added to 24-7, I just need permission to take it and stream it first.

Again cheers for the replays and feedback folks this means a lot to me.

I will be adding more content on this almost daily, but without a dedicated forum wink wink Hamma!! all info will have to remain in this 1 thread or the test forum.

Again thanks,

Morto.

PS. Before I go, anybody willing to help out that still has access to PS1 and the ability to stream in any quality (download XSplit if you need to), could you PM me please. Thanks.

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-12-28 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Coreldan's reply.
Old 2011-12-28, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Interesting Idea, I look forward to seeing the results

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-12-29, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Itsme
Private

Sounds like a great spy tool.

Lets see what the other fractions are up to.

Live intel rulez
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion