PSU: Don't ask questions, just donate.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-25, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Clock speed for 9800 pro?

I have been playin with a radlinker on a soft mod I got for my 9800 pro, the 128 one.

I have pushed it up to 384 so far, but before I go higher I figured I might as well ask before I melt my card.

I have not touched the memory speed yet, however some recomended numbers to try for the core would be nice.

Also cooling I have 4 fans total in the case, IIRC 80mm, I also just got 4 heatspeaders for my row of 512's so everything else is running pretty cool.
Old 2004-03-25, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

You won't melt your card as long as you have that recovery feature on I'm pretty sure. I forget exactly what its called but its a feature in your Catalyst driver that will revert your settings back to default if your video card gets too messed up.

I've overclocked my Radeon 9800 PRO too much before, and played PlanetSide. After about half an hour of gaming I started to get artifacting, followed by a black screen. A moment later, my screen pops back, and the video card recovery tells me that my clock settings have been reset due to failure of the graphics card. I was then able to continue playing PlanetSide no problem.

So I'd keep pushing it up, just make sure you have the video card recovery option on, again, I forget what it's called but its in your graphics advanced settings.

EDIT: Disclaimer: don't blame me if you DO somehow manage to mess up your card, though I think with the feature enabled its unlikely.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-03-25, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

You won't kill your card before you see these other sines.

When Ocing the Core to high you get Crashes, BSOD ect

When Ocing the memory to high you get Artifacts, basicaly miss-renderings that make spiky bits, and infinently long planes(as in geometry not travel) and other general odities

Basicaly i recomden you rais the Clock 5 Mhz and then test it heavily, if its stable then oc another five and so on. When you hit crashes/artifacts lower it back one Mhz at a time untill it doesn't any longer (for both memory and core ocing)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum