News: SOE announces Alpha Squad - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where hazing is still legal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-09-07, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
stordito
Staff Sergeant
 
stordito's Avatar
 
SOE announces Alpha Squad


just a quick update on the beta loading screen...
seems like the gates will be open soon.

read in the lower right corner...

...BEFORE 31 Dec 2012!



Last edited by Hamma; 2012-09-07 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Changed to link
stordito is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin
 
Hamma's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


__________________

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Hamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
tzharrgh
Private
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


I'm having problem with that, cant access the site that they give
I want to support em the best i can.

Anyone else having a problem with that?

I seem to have a problem of a kind
tzharrgh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sunrock
Major
 
Sunrock's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Weapon unlocks... Hmm feels like P2W to me. Not that I'm surprised to see it. But it confirms there BS that this game will not be P2W.
Sunrock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hosp
First Sergeant
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


The weapon unlocks for infantry are more side-grades. However, if they unlock vehicle weapons w/ it, it becomes P2W and that's a nono.
__________________
Hospelegat - Praetorian Guard - Officer
Last True Sniper of Planetside 1
Hosp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
stordito
Staff Sergeant
 
stordito's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Weapon unlocks... Hmm feels like P2W to me. Not that I'm surprised to see it. But it confirms there BS that this game will not be P2W.
I can assure you that in beta right now if you cert into something you loose something else (like mag capacity,speed, armor etc).
then there are over powered weapons that needs to be balanced, but that's another story.
Devs are doing a great job and are really listening.
the game is huge and time will pass before the dust sets and all the classes , vehicles and sidegrades are balanced.
stordito is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sunrock
Major
 
Sunrock's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by stordito View Post
I can assure you that in beta right now if you cert into something you loose something else (like mag capacity,speed, armor etc).
then there are over powered weapons that needs to be balanced, but that's another story.
Devs are doing a great job and are really listening.
the game is huge and time will pass before the dust sets and all the classes , vehicles and sidegrades are balanced.
I have about 50 hours play in beta so far... I think I can make up my own mind about weapons in it. And I'm not talking about the certifications but the weapons you buy for aurixium in the beta now. If any of those become available with SC its pay2win in my mind.
Sunrock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
stordito
Staff Sergeant
 
stordito's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


You have to admit that most of the weapons you are talking about are the unbalanced ones like A2A, A2G... i see a lot of people running for the latest unbalanced weapon added in beta just because allows lots of kills.
most of the players sucks with a mossie but they certed a 12500 Aux rockets cert upgrate anyway. such certification is worth 2-3 days of playtime and right now makes sense only because you are rewarded with bazillion of kills and killstreaks.
just my opinion...
stordito is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
I disagree with you. That is P2W. Everything that is not play 2 win is Pay 2 win.
Every unlockable weapon in the game is a sidegrade. It might do more damage but shoot slower or have a smaller clip. This one has a huge clip but does less damage. Nothing is going to be better than anything else. And if it is, anyone and everyone can buy it for free through Auraxium. Pay to Win isn't just because you can buy it sooner than someone. Pay to Win is described as an item only obtainable through real money. Nothing but XP and Resource Boosts will be Station Cash only. Do some research before opening your mouth.

Originally Posted by stordito View Post
You have to admit that most of the weapons you are talking about are the unbalanced ones like A2A, A2G... i see a lot of people running for the latest unbalanced weapon added in beta just because allows lots of kills.
most of the players sucks with a mossie but they certed a 12500 Aux rockets cert upgrate anyway. such certification is worth 2-3 days of playtime and right now makes sense only because you are rewarded with bazillion of kills and killstreaks.
just my opinion...
There are plenty of things in the beta that are imbalanced or broken. Balancing comes after making sure the game works on a consistent basis...Which right now it doesn't. Let's make the game function properly before worrying about balance.

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Riiiiight, because a lock on rocket launcher that actually hits the target isn't more powerful than a dumb-fire one that is supremely easy for a tank to dodge. Or how about an aircraft that doesn't have rocket pods or a better cannon compared to one that does?
Planetside 1. Striker vs. Decimator. Argument null.

As for things being better than standard through certs....I heard that the Heavy Assault weapons in Planetside 1 were better than the Suppressor you spawned with after you died. You had to cert into them to use them though, and if you didn't...Other people could have a better gun than you. They should have made it so everyone spawns with the heavy assault weapons!

Right? That's your argument after all...
__________________

~Xen of Onslaught Member Since: September 2003
~XoO Planetside 2 Air Division Commander
~Recruiting Now! Check our our PSU Recruitment Thread Here

Last edited by PhoenixDog; 2012-09-07 at 03:01 PM.
PhoenixDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ragnafrak
Corporal
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Weapon unlocks... Hmm feels like P2W to me. Not that I'm surprised to see it. But it confirms there BS that this game will not be P2W.
/sigh

The unlocks aren't going to be for special founder-only equipment. Everything unlocked will be available for auraxium as well, I'm sure. And it's spread out over all 3 factions, so any one who just plays as 1 faction will only get the benefit of 4 unlocks.

We don't even know if the unlocks will be for equipment that is a sidegrade (replaces existing equipment) or an upgrade (equips in an as of yet unused slot). Wait and see, then complain.

Just because someone can pay and unlock something faster than it would take them to unlock it with auraxium doesn't mean it's p2w.


Personally, I'm all over this. It's exactly what I expected.
Ragnafrak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sunrock
Major
 
Sunrock's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by Ragnafrak View Post

Just because someone can pay and unlock something faster than it would take them to unlock it with auraxium doesn't mean it's p2w.
I disagree with you. That is P2W. Everything that is not play 2 win is Pay 2 win.
Sunrock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major
 
Top Sgt's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
I disagree with you. That is P2W. Everything that is not play 2 win is Pay 2 win.
then you should really just not play planetside at all and go back to hackfield 3 honestly.

oh wait.. you can buy all their held back DLC and weapons ohh and the "booster packs"
Top Sgt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Crysander
Private
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Weapon unlocks... Hmm feels like P2W to me. Not that I'm surprised to see it. But it confirms there BS that this game will not be P2W.
That's awfully pesimistic - as you can clearly see it lists 12 weapon unlocks, so logically you get one new weapon per class (not including MAXs). It's effectively a preorder option, and you want your preorder packs to be appealing and rack up a good amount of interest. Seems pretty fair to me, imagining this was a miscelaneous standard title:

To start, as a preorder bonus pack its cheap at $40
So for $40 your getting:
1) Skins - practically every game these days comes with this, and it's always welcome
2) Exclusive Title - again, MMOs have these often, and its always welcome
3) An XP Booster - again, often used in FPS games like COD
4) Twelve Pre-unlocked weapons (most likely the first unlock per class)
5) Your $40 is given straight back to you as SC to spend in the shop, so if your planning on buying anything in this game or just want to show your support for SOE then it'd be stupid not to get this.

The unlocks won't be ridiculous, that would just be silly, they don't want to break their game on release day and will almost certainly be auraxim purchase ones to boot. The main benefit that I see is that people in the Beta (who will almost certainly want to support the game ~fingers crossed~) will be able to splash some cash and save time unlocking stuff at the beginning.

Bottom line, SOE is a company who wants to make money hence the more attractive the package, the more orders they get and nothing in this package seems obnoxiously P2W. Support 2 Win? Definately.

TL;DR: Doesn't seem to shabby to me! Quit your belly aching.

edit: Page 3 in the time it took to type this? Fail.

Last edited by Crysander; 2012-09-07 at 11:07 AM.
Crysander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bittermen
Sergeant Major
 
Bittermen's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Weapon unlocks... Hmm feels like P2W to me. Not that I'm surprised to see it. But it confirms there BS that this game will not be P2W.
Pay to Win implies that the items you can buy are superior to those given out for free and that the only way to obtain these items are through monetary means.


This is not pay to win. Especially since you can buy weapons without paying for them(this will take a of grinding).


Your paying for time.
Bittermen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Diehard
Corporal
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Re: Beta access with alpha squad


Originally Posted by Bittermen View Post
Pay to Win implies that the items you can buy are superior to those given out for free and that the only way to obtain these items are through monetary means.


This is not pay to win. Especially since you can buy weapons without paying for them(this will take a of grinding).


Your paying for time.
agreed
Diehard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.