Gameplay: Concern and idea about not hacking enemy vehicles to use - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: pork chop sandwiches!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-21, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Biscuit
Sergeant

Concern and idea about not hacking enemy vehicles to use

TL;DR version:

if there wont be any hacking of vehicles to use, what do you think of the idea of having engineers gain the ability of salvaging vehicles and turn them into resource material to use for the benefit of their empire. junk and abandon vehicles add character on the battlefield, but even too much junk can cause issues of moving from place to place (cluttering up a bridge or tight choke point areas of large amount of vehicles even if a viable tactic). Also leaving abandoned vehicles only to be destroyed seems to be a huge waste.

Regular Version:

Been taking some time to look over the Information Thread.

And ran across the portion of what we know so far : No Vehicle Hacking.

I understand nothing is set in stone, but i wanted to ask a number of a concern and a question of the matter.

for instance, when the enemy outfit comes storming on a opposing base in with their vehicles, and by chance they get pushed back, usually there are some vehicles that are left abandoned, mainly due to neglect of the drivers not deconstructing them.

the game looks big, but with the goal of having thousands of players fighting, and large outfits coming in with say hundreds of tanks, things are going to get crowded, and whats worse is if the opposing empire loses ground and gets pushed out of said base they want to take; tons of left over vehicles every where for a period of time.

of course, youll have people smart enough to deconstruct them, and will have the most common action of destroying said vehicles, leaving large masses of twisted metal clogging up various areas. The point i am driving at is with all those left over resources (vehicles) laying around, it seems to be a shame that they cannot be put into good use, let alone having an alternative way of cleaning up the base area that doesnt involving blowing them up.

Was thinking about the Engineer, to me personally, I see the Engineer being a class that is geared towards shaping the environment around them with their support abilities (turrets, mines, blockades etc. sensors) and assisting abilities (repairing machinery). whats to say that they can have a tool that helps them at gathering resources by salvaging nanites/resources from abandoned enemy vehicles.

taking salvaged resources could virtually be transferred to anything. for defense for a base, offense of making more turrets, repairing blockades or setting up environmental traps; land mines for example.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-04-21, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Re: Concern and idea about not hacking enemy vehicles to use

Seeing as resources are for personal use only, and not empire use, this idea would really only benefit the engineer.

And PS1 shows examples of wreckage that despawn shortly after being destroyed, like within a few minutes. Chances are vehicles will despawn if the owner goes more then a certain distance away from the vehicle, a set amount of time elapses, or a few minutes after it's destroyed.

Not seeing an issue really. Hacking vehicles in PS1 was an annoyance and it was rarely worthwhile. Usually the hacker ended up dead because a Reaver flew by, spotted the vehicle, and blew it up with the hacker still hacking it.

If resources belonged to the empire and weren't personal, I'd say the vehicles that despawn should immediately give their worth to the empire. Spoils of war. As it stands it might be nice to have all vehicles that despawn within a base's control zone to spread their resources to all players within the zone automatically. Again, spoils of war. It would probably only amount to a few points but large vehicle battles could build up large quantities of resources quickly.
Old 2012-04-22, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

It's also likely that wreckage can be pushed around fairly easily now that we have an actual physics system.

I think it would make more sense to simply give some points for destroying enemy vehicles (destruction of enemy equipment is a valid move) and resources refunded for deconstructing your vehicle.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

I actually read on something that you can salvage blown up vehicles for resources. It was a bit of an obscure comment, but I know I read something on that from a dev already.
Old 2012-04-22, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Saand
Private

I remember that talk about salvaging destroyed vehicles too, but still there should be a penalty for leaving a vehicle unattended. We should be able to either hack it and use it or deconstruct it for resources, I would include the Infiltrator besideds the Engineer. Blowing up unmanned vehicles is not what I would consider fun.

Hacking and deconstructing on the other hand I had lots of fun with in Planetside1 especially with people still inside, there is nothing like running somebody over with their own vehicle .

Vehicle hacking and enemy weapon looting are my 2 biggest concerns about Planetside 2, it just would make it less fun for me.
Old 2012-04-23, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Saand View Post
I remember that talk about salvaging destroyed vehicles too, but still there should be a penalty for leaving a vehicle unattended. We should be able to either hack it and use it or deconstruct it for resources, I would include the Infiltrator besideds the Engineer. Blowing up unmanned vehicles is not what I would consider fun.

Hacking and deconstructing on the other hand I had lots of fun with in Planetside1 especially with people still inside, there is nothing like running somebody over with their own vehicle .

Vehicle hacking and enemy weapon looting are my 2 biggest concerns about Planetside 2, it just would make it less fun for me.
Why do we need a penalty for leaving vehicles unattended? People paid for those vehicles in PS2 remember, what they choose to do with those vehicles is up to them, and the risk of those vehicles being destroyed is a big enough penalty.

And yeah, like I said, hacking was little more then an annoyance. Not needed.

I'm curious about looting corpses, but this is another aspect of PS1 that isn't needed. As much fun as it was to kill someone and dig in their pack for their MCG, it wasn't worth it and the backpacks take up processing time and generally got in the way.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-23 at 05:02 PM.
Old 2012-04-23, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kipper
Captain

You need to be able to park vehicles - it could be a viable tactic to park a sunderer across a bridge or something to set an ambush.

Your troops might be set behind a hill, so you wouldn't wanna be in the thing - but it would cause the enemy to have to stop to move/blow it to advance, which is the signal to unleash hell.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault