Implant ideas for the dev team. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ask me where I'm from
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-22, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Implant ideas for the dev team.

From the PS2 EU facebook page. [For the love... Post these things where the community can discuss it!]
https://www.facebook.com/Planetside2...54696048005047

"Implants are on the horizon and will be making their return to Auraxis! Which implants are you hoping to see?

Example implants might (!) include stuff like:
* Silent running
=> Your character emits no footstep audio

* Safe Landing
=>Allows you to fall greater distances before taking damage

*Audio Amp
=>Increases distance that enemies are spotted based on firing"

What kind of implants do you guys and gals want to see?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Eggy
Sergeant

Re: Implant ideas for the dev team.

*Steady Hands - Vehicle
=> Your character has improved gun stabilization, when using a gun on all vehicles.

*Fast but not Furious - Ground Vehicle
=> Your character has improved top and reverse speed driving vehicles.

*Furious but not fast - Ground Vehicle
=> Your character has improved handling and braking driving vehicles.

*Weakspot Gunner - Ground Vehicle
=> More armour penatration

*Buckshot Gunner - Ground Vehicle
=> More AOE

*Quick Draw - Infantry
=> Faster weapon swap

*Quick Reload - Infantry
=> Faster reload

*Big Pockets - Infantry
=> More nades

*Dark Light - Infantry (toggle)
=> Anti cloaker

*Olympian - Infantry
=> Faster movement

*Death from above - LA
=> More jetpack fuel

*Herculess - Infantry
=> More standard ammo

*Rocket In Your Pocket - Infantry
=> More rockets

*Duracell Bunny - Infantry
=> More shields.

*Scavenger - Infatry
=> Small ammo increment with each kill.

*Feast on the Fallen - Infantry
=> Full HP and Shields with a headshot kill.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Shogun
Contributor
General

there is just one implant that i totally want to have back...

the advanced targeting implant!

having to constantly spam Q just to get info if the soldier in front of you is friend or foe sucks.

oh and darklight would be fun, but since there is no real cloaking in ps2 i don´t know if this is as important as it was in ps1.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-22, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

ADV Targetiing was nice - cuz you could pick off the weak .... but BEST .. was if you were in REVENGE or Personal Vendetta-Mode ....... You could really get some hate tells when you kept sniping the same clown over & over .... good times .... or, when there was a TK asshat playing in your preferered Empire .... log back in as an Alt (different empire) and follow the TKing asshat & kill him repeatedly until he left the game. Adv Targeting was pretty sweet. Darklight too. Audio. .... and the one that drained Stamina to regen your Health .... what was that one called ?

... couple Outfit buds were essentially 100% snipers. When I was bored, I tended to go Infil ... we'd run in packs of two, occasionally 4 or 5 of us. Weird, cuz I always felt Infil was a "solo" class. But, Adv Target made it easy to call-out the same target. We would Group-Shoot guys for hours .... alternating turns who got the last (kill) shot. Good times. When in the mood to be an Infil, I preferred to truly go "solo", and it was great to be able to OSK guys with low-health. I also appreciated that it allowed me to see the other guys' "name", so if I was in agenda-mode, I knew when I had found my specific target (again).

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-05-22 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Qwan
Captain

I just want to see one implant, and I would give my first born for it, and thats the dark light implant, damn cloakers piss me off to no end. Also as a secondary implant one that allows for zoom with out the help of scope, kinda like a mechanical eye.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Qwan
Captain

I just want to see one implant, and I would give my first born for it, and thats the dark light implant, damn cloakers piss me off to no end . Also as a secondary implant one that allows for zoom with out the help of scope, kinda like a mechanical eye
Old 2013-05-22, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

The only one I would be extra careful about is a speed upgrade/Surge type implant. A lot of people are going to have fond memories of surgile from PS1, but PS2 is different. PS2 is a much more 3-dimensional game, and you can escape fire much more easily by jumping down a floor in a tower or jumping down off a bridge or causeway. Even if you can't fire while surging, you have to consider that there is a certain point where are all you need to do is run around like a chicken with its head cut off and hardly anyone will be able to kill you. This happens already with gravlifts in towers. Adding a speed upgrade on top of that -- dangerous. I guess the great equalizer would be prox mines, so it wouldn't be super terrible, but probably an implant that would need some careful consideration in order for it to be balanced properly (not usable by LA, for instance).

Last edited by Bocheezu; 2013-05-22 at 12:13 PM.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
RedKestrel
Private

I read this thread some time earlier today and have thought of it throughout the day and came up with some interesting ideas. Let me know what you guys think.

Instead of one implant slot, how about several? You could have an implant slot for your head, arms and legs, and each body part would be associated with a certain type of implant. For example, the head implant slot would be dedicated to targeting and visual implants. You could equip an auto target implant (enemies would automatically be q'ed if your crosshair is over them), the darklight implant, explosive device detector (sort of like the bomb sense thing in CoD, but only works say a meter away so that people rushing through bases would still suffer the consequences, whereas careful players would benefit), etc. The arm implants would help with weapons, so reload speed, slight accuracy benefits, LESS SNIPER RIFLE SWAY (oh baby yess pls.), faster grenade toss or the ability to cook grenades, etc. and the legs would of course be movement related; less fall dmg, slight buff to movement or sprint speed (i'm thinking the LA could still use their cert sprint upgrade to further improve this), the silent step implant, etc.

I'm thinking the head implants would also share the xp/resource implant slot, so players would have to decide on more xp or targeting implants.

My reasoning for this is to cater to the 'MMO' aspect of the game. In other MMO's, a lot of the game is customizing a character's armor with different buffs which affect hp, dmg, healing, all sorts of stuff. What happens is your character becomes more unique compared to the rest of the player's characters. Currently, all that creates this 'uniqueness' in PS2 is armor and camo cosmetics and the name above a soldier. I understand that if there was only one implant slot, a character with an xp boost will differ from a character with reload speed. However, I think my idea above would offer a whole new dimension to character identity.

I think that these new implants should be purchased by certs, though I suppose SC would work its way in inevitably. The certification 'tree' that currently exists will still only apply to that particular class. But these new implants would essentially be a 'cert tree' for your character (but only one tier of certification).

This way a player who fights mostly as a sniper infiltrator could customize his character to help strengthen his role as a long range dmg dealer (targeter? sway reduce? fast movement?) And a character that prefers to play as an smg infiltrator could utilize implants that help him in infiltration (heat sense? fast hack? light step?)

I gave just a couple ideas for implants, I'm sure we can come up with enough implants to fill an encyclopedia.

Let me know if this is over the top, or at least interesting.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by RedKestrel View Post
I read this thread some time earlier today and have thought of it throughout the day and came up with some interesting ideas. Let me know what you guys think.

Instead of one implant slot, how about several? You could have an implant slot for your head, arms and legs, and each body part would be associated with a certain type of implant.

so basically like Deus Ex?

"My vision is augmented."
Old 2013-05-22, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
GrandBastard
Private

Spotting immunity: either absolute (as in no effect beyond the VO) or just something that reduces the wallhack portion of it to a simple, stationary spot on the minimap.

As a sidenote, has anyone heard anything about how they're planning to implement any potential cost for them, now that auraxium is gone. I guess it could well be just another place to spend certs, but I sort of considered them as somewhat separate.
Old 2013-05-22, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
AThreatToYou
Major

*Second Wind
--> Instantaneously heals your character to 20% maximum hit points upon receiving damage that would kill you. This will be able to save your character from sniper headshots and OHK weapons, even if they did more damage than you would have after Second Wind triggered. [of course there would be a long cooldown, or else you would be unkillable]

*Headshot Shield
--> Reduces headshot bonus damage by 20% if the damage is affecting your exosuit's shields. Does not effect MAX units or damage done to health.

*Surge
--> Increases sprint speed when activated, but increases weapon activation delay when coming out of sprint by a full second.

*Sensor Shield
--> When spotted, you will not appear on the minimap, and sensors will not place you on the minimap. Being spotted will still display an icon above your head.

*Nanite Pistol Reconstructor
--> Enables a soldier to carry two pistols, each allowed to be a different type. Doesn't allow dual wielding.
"This implant dynamically constructs pistols out of nanites, saving enough inventory space to pack two instead of one. In addition, the ammunition is condensed into nanite-reconstructors as well, a feature unique to small-arms."

*Electromagnetic Pulse Generator
--> When used, extends the soldier's arm and emits a targeted EMP pulse where the soldier is facing. This will disable vehicle weapons and enemy HUDs for a short time, unless they are properly shielded. This will have a cooldown, obviously.

*Shield Diffraction
--> When equipped, a soldier's shield will be unable to take damage below a certain threshold (all damage below 90 will be completely negated if hitting shields).

*Shield Capacitor
--> Enables a soldier to instantaneously recharge their shields. This can be attempted as many times as the soldier wants [perhaps with a small cooldown], however, each use of the shield capacitor will cause the soldier to take 25% of their total HP in damage. After 30 seconds, the shield capacitor will heal the soldier back for 25% of their HP. The shield capacitor can kill you.

Use of the shield capacitor will disable normal shield regeneration for 30 seconds.

*Shield Modulator
--> Upon activation, the shields will take 15% less damage from the front, but 20% more damage from the sides and will be completely unshielded from the rear.

*Energy Vampire
--> This implant will consume shield energy to heal the soldier. For every 2 units of shield consumed, the soldier will heal 1 HP.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-06-15 at 01:46 AM.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sifer2
Major

I think implants are a weird addition to the game considering lots of implant powers from the first game are now abilities that you equip in armor slots. Or attachments for your weapon.

One Implant I want if they never intend to add proper Night Vision scopes for Infantry guns would be a night vision implant. Doesn't need the glowing effect on enemy targets just lets you see at night well.

I also think they should avoid implants that do stuff like make weapon switching/reloading faster. Since some of the guns are currently balanced around that. Like LMG's switch slower now with foregrips. I also do NOT want to see a one hit kill Knife booster implant.
Old 2013-05-23, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Assist
Contributor
Major

I want ski's, from Tribes, on the bottom of my feet!
Old 2013-05-23, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Cool Running - Implant that keeps you from being seen by IR sights

Ghost - Implant that makes you invisible/or all black to night vision scope
Old 2013-05-23, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

I think implants are really bad for a pvp game. I see a shooter like a game of chess I play with many different people but instead of moving a figure on a board, I move my playermodel in a virtual environment. It is important to know the exact rules of each situation to really be able to outsmart your opponent on even grounds. For example if I see a guy behind a wall I know he can only approach me from the ends of said wall - if I notice that he is a light assault trooper I know he can jump over the wall any time. Based on my observation I can use a strategy to outsmart him.
That makes games fun for me, trying to predict the other guy's behavior and being smarter by trying to do something he does not predict.

Now with implants that even ground is somehow destroyed because suddenly things get unpredictable in the simplest encounters, for example if a guy is firing at me from medium distance and I close in on him, I can estimate when his clip is probably empty and he has to reload. I will rush him as soon as I hear/feel that he is out of ammo. If everything goes right I can shoot him with his pants down and he won't have a chance because he is reloading while I can easily kill him. A kill through skill because I know how to time my attack, feels good. Now let's imagine the guy has the "awesome reload implant III" (which you can buy for only 200 SC per day, yay!) which makes him reload 3 times faster than usually - he will just reload in a splitsecond and kill me. But there is no way for me to predict that he is using such an implant. I will get killed even though I used the superior tactic and there is no way to know which implant a guy has - so it's basically luck if you kill some guy or bad luck if he has the right implant for a random situation and he kills you.

In computer games it is important to have a known set of rules for everybody so you can play with your skill and experience and not just rely on your luck. Implants make the lucky component of encounters stronger.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-05-23 at 01:12 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion