Platoon leaders and squads - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: and you thought sex was fun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-02, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Platoon leaders and squads

One change I would like to see in PS2 is to have platoon leaders separate to the squads, so they can concentrate on the big picture and direct the squad leaders using the mission system effectively.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-02-02, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Platoon leaders and squads

I doubt there will be enough for platoon or squad leaders to do as far as missions/leading go that would require them to stop playing (and therefore make being in a squad pointless for them) in order to fully lend themselves toward leading. I mean, you open the map, set a couple waypoints, draw some dicks, write a few platoon messages or say some junk over voice chat, and you're rolling. Seems like it'd take a couple minutes and keep your squads busy for potentially quite a while.
Old 2012-02-02, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I doubt there will be enough for platoon or squad leaders to do as far as missions/leading go that would require them to stop playing (and therefore make being in a squad pointless for them) in order to fully lend themselves toward leading. I mean, you open the map, set a couple waypoints, draw some dicks, write a few platoon messages or say some junk over voice chat, and you're rolling. Seems like it'd take a couple minutes and keep your squads busy for potentially quite a while.
Unless the dynamics of battle are different in ps2. That is to say more of and more frequently changing objectives or targets come into play. Goals in ps1 were quite simple and differed little regardless of where the fight was.

Dedicated leadership could prove to be a very valuable asset in a changing battlefield. And the structure leff suggests is similar to how we did it in the military.
Old 2012-02-02, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lord Cosine
Corporal

I drew tactical Broccoli men over the ocean. Oh and dicks too.
Old 2012-02-02, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lord Cosine
Corporal

I hope drawing on the map returns, I loved that feature.
Old 2012-02-02, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Are you referring to the need to stay with the squad to get the cohesion bonus? If so then I agree - have the option to be in or out of the squad. Might well be that you need to stay safe in the galaxy but maintain access to the squad/platoon channels to relay all the information around for long periods.

I remember holding up the squad for a few seconds before to deal with some co-ordinating, but always felt I was swimming with even a couple of squads. Maybe Im just mentally challenged But the option would be nice.

Old 2012-02-02, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lord Cosine View Post
I was more excited by that unlock than the OS. Great feature

Old 2012-02-02, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

I drew tactical Broccoli men over the ocean. Oh and dicks too.
Drawing some more dicks?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-02, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Graywolves
General

Drawing on the map is the best thing ever.
Old 2012-02-02, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Are you referring to the need to stay with the squad to get the cohesion bonus? If so then I agree - have the option to be in or out of the squad. Might well be that you need to stay safe in the galaxy but maintain access to the squad/platoon channels to relay all the information around for long periods.
Frankly, squads should just have an option for 100% xp split across the squad or perhaps platoon level regardless of proximity or actions. Players are capable of policing themselves. Someone leeching? Kick him. Someone leaching and the SL won't kick him, or is the SL? Leave the squad.

This would let squads/platoons send people to do valuable stuff that doesn't earn XP, like parking a cloaker on top of a base to call out troop movements or something, and would let the SL/PL sit back and just direct their troops.
Old 2012-02-03, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
One change I would like to see in PS2 is to have platoon leaders separate to the squads, so they can concentrate on the big picture and direct the squad leaders using the mission system effectively.

Thoughts?
I am not altogether sure of what you mean. But assuming you mean the PL should sit in a big war room somewhere directing people remotely, then no.

I've done plenty leading of platoons. It's right that you do tend to look at the global map a lot more than the average grunt. And you also do a little arithmetic from time to time to work out things like population balances.
You will also spend time talking on the command channel to pick up intel from other cr5's.

But, even though your platoon will give you feedback, you really need to be with them to have a true feel for the situation.
Old 2012-02-03, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

If I'm a platoon leader I want to be part of the squads. Set objectives, participate in taking objectives.
If missioning and objectives are complicated enough that you've got to remove yourself from the combat group to sort through arcane menus and the like...thats the problem that needs solving.

I'm thinking a button plush radial menu you can use while running around to set quick objectives and then map and spawn-screen functionality that goes a bit deeper.

Of course drawing on the map must return.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-02-03, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Good points, perhaps embed the platoon leader in a squad in which he IS NOT the actual squad leader?

I want Squad leaders to be busy with ordering their troops about using context sensitive orders keys so that the platoon leader can focus on the bigger picture, in between riddling TR with plasma...
Old 2012-02-03, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Unless the dynamics of battle are different in ps2. That is to say more of and more frequently changing objectives or targets come into play. Goals in ps1 were quite simple and differed little regardless of where the fight was.

Dedicated leadership could prove to be a very valuable asset in a changing battlefield. And the structure leff suggests is similar to how we did it in the military.
I guess it's possible, but I can't imagine it is a probable outcome. I guess we can revisit the issue when more is known about bases and about the command system, as right now it's impossible to say whether there'll be so much to do that somehow a platoon leader would be occupied setting objectives for 30 minutes straight or so.
Old 2012-02-03, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Good points, perhaps embed the platoon leader in a squad in which he IS NOT the actual squad leader?

I want Squad leaders to be busy with ordering their troops about using context sensitive orders keys so that the platoon leader can focus on the bigger picture, in between riddling TR with plasma...
Ht ran like this every day,we never played the game any other way,we sure weren't going to waste the CEP on someone that had a cr5 in july '03 so we would have a CEP list on our forums and ppl put their names on it and we worked from that,we would grind them up in 3 or 4 weeks and cycle ppl through the three squads, all I needed them to do was place waypoints correctly and have them spam /SL to hijack the zerg when the CR5's wouldn't listen,you would be surprised how easily that was to do.

its why I was always in a max, I got sick of dying while I was typing,I would sit in towers guarding them while we attacked the base typing the whole friggin time
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion