Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remove head from sphincter, than post!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

I really don't think it needs prone, I've always thought it was just a camping method.
Old 2012-06-02, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Slib
Private

PS2 definitely doesn't need prone. I'd rather not have it at all.

They could probably make it work, but it would take a lot more redesigning and effort to add in something that really isn't necessary to the gameplay style.
I could see it may be only usable for infiltrators, and having a slow transition (making dolphin dives impossible). It would also have to restrict you ability to turn; you would be able to look freely in about a 140 degree arc in front of you. Turning further than that would lower your gun and slowly turn you around.

Getting up and down would have to take almost 2 seconds, leaving you vulnerable while changing stances, and unable to fire.

Again, I would only want to see it on infiltrators.

Last edited by Slib; 2012-06-02 at 03:09 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Haro
Master Sergeant

I find it rather funny how insubstantial most of the arguments for BOTH sides are. It's either "yes it should be" or "no it shouldn't" with little reasoning as to why. TRY HARDER PEOPLE!

Honestly, while I don't feel the "need" for prone in this game (haven't really felt the need for it since America's Army or Joint Operations) I don't see how it would detriment to gameplay all that much. I don't think it would be that one point that tips the game to static, camping, and given most of the interior environments I have seen in alpha footage so far, I'm not particularly worried about camping with prone, or in general. None of the horrid bottlenecks of old base interiors, or the convenient boxes and corners you could sit in with little concern, the open environments seem to encourage a wide open game style, and I've seen few places where you could have the control over your surroundings to truly, effectively camp, or at least not any that I couldn't see a max or a few grenades messing up properly. On top of that, the light assault jet packs makes me think that anyone who tries to camp will be unpleasantly surprised.

As for reason's why we need prone, I can't think of too many. Plenty of games have been successful without using it. On the other hand, I think that with sniping and possibly light machine guns, prone could be an interesting mechanic. It certainly wouldn't be for every class, but I think partial implementation could work.

There are some points I've seen that make sense: concerns with infiltrators is justifiable, though given the limited charge of cloak, it may be overblown. If I were a dev, I'd throw it into beta for testing if I had the chance, and if it doesn't work, just take it out. I don't think it's a good line of thinking to say "PS1 didn't need it, 2 shouldn't either" because if we kept using that logic, a lot of current features in the game would have to be taken out, right?
Old 2012-06-02, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
I find it rather funny how insubstantial most of the arguments for BOTH sides are. It's either "yes it should be" or "no it shouldn't" with little reasoning as to why. TRY HARDER PEOPLE!

Honestly, while I don't feel the "need" for prone in this game (haven't really felt the need for it since America's Army or Joint Operations) I don't see how it would detriment to gameplay all that much. I don't think it would be that one point that tips the game to static, camping, and given most of the interior environments I have seen in alpha footage so far, I'm not particularly worried about camping with prone, or in general. None of the horrid bottlenecks of old base interiors, or the convenient boxes and corners you could sit in with little concern, the open environments seem to encourage a wide open game style, and I've seen few places where you could have the control over your surroundings to truly, effectively camp, or at least not any that I couldn't see a max or a few grenades messing up properly. On top of that, the light assault jet packs makes me think that anyone who tries to camp will be unpleasantly surprised.

As for reason's why we need prone, I can't think of too many. Plenty of games have been successful without using it. On the other hand, I think that with sniping and possibly light machine guns, prone could be an interesting mechanic. It certainly wouldn't be for every class, but I think partial implementation could work.

There are some points I've seen that make sense: concerns with infiltrators is justifiable, though given the limited charge of cloak, it may be overblown. If I were a dev, I'd throw it into beta for testing if I had the chance, and if it doesn't work, just take it out. I don't think it's a good line of thinking to say "PS1 didn't need it, 2 shouldn't either" because if we kept using that logic, a lot of current features in the game would have to be taken out, right?
I can bring in some argumentation, but I just don't want to argue about it much, so I think most of the people here do. There are lots of good games that do nice without proning and some of them have it in, while they can do fine without it.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-02, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
I find it comical how many of you old vets, who in other threads have been vehemently defending a hardline punishing PS experience where realism trumps all are not open to this.
Lets see how effective you are laying down and getting up in bulky armor.

If prone were put into the game, it would probably have to be limited to LA and infiltrators. LA would likely never use it, since their best defense is to get air born, not lay on the ground. Infiltrators would likely only use it for sniping, and they have a cloaking device so... why bother?

Modern military games like CoD include it because their body armor is very very light and flimsy in comparison to Bomb Squad style armor of HA and Riot Gear armor of LA.

In the field it's just not practical.

Realism still wins.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-06-02 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Angry Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
I think I speak for all of us when I say, "No."
NO no you don't I believe that prone will greatly enhance the gameplay. scared of campers In war campers survive:the rolleyes:
Sniper will need the skill, and guerilla warfare types like me will use the to hide in brush, and knife my opponents. Just like crouch it is a very useful skill.
RIP-Mr common sense
Old 2012-06-02, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
LegioX
First Sergeant

you people complaining about prone must suck at FPS. In all my long years of gaming, i have never had an issue with prone players in games that had that option.

Truthfully prone players are the easiest targets to kill. They get such bad tunnel vision when either sniping/shooting in the prone position, that they fail to realize to get up and move when being shot at. End result. Stationary targets much much easier to kill.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by LegioX View Post
you people complaining about prone must suck at FPS. In all my long years of gaming, i have never had an issue with prone players in games that had that option.

Truthfully prone players are the easiest targets to kill. They get such bad tunnel vision when either sniping/shooting in the prone position, that they fail to realize to get up and move when being shot at. End result. Stationary targets much much easier to kill.

Believing that a certain gameplay feature does not work in a game does not mean you are bad at said game.

Last edited by JPalmer; 2012-06-02 at 06:26 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
LegioX
First Sergeant

Then what is the problem with not having prone put in? BFBC2 prime example. Cannot hide sufficiently behind cover b/c you cannot lie down. So all you can do is crouch and have your head possibly sticking out for someone to HS you.

Tell me. How does it not work in a certain game? Everybody has the same 2 arguments regardless of game on why they do not want prone.

1. Dolphin diving
2. Camping.

Devs can solve option 1 by putting in cool down timer or some type of fatigue to keep u from getting up and down really quickly.

We as players can solve option 2 by teamwork. Simple as that.

Last edited by LegioX; 2012-06-02 at 07:06 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Enter option 3:

Prone is bad because you're laying on your face looking like an ass instead of fighting upright and moving like everyone else.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Zulthus
Colonel

Then what is the problem with not having prone put in? BFBC2 prime example. Cannot hide sufficiently behind cover b/c you cannot lie down. So all you can do is crouch and have your head possibly sticking out for someone to HS you.

Tell me. How does it not work in a certain game? Everybody has the same 2 arguments regardless of game on why they do not want prone.

1. Dolphin diving
2. Camping.

Devs can solve option 1 by putting in cool down timer or some type of fatigue to keep u from getting up and down really quickly.

PS2's terrain and cover was designed with crouch only gameplay in mind. This will not be a problem. Crouch now fills the role prone did.

Notice, though, how in BFBC2 camping was not nearly as much a problem as it was in BF3, and its combat was much more fun because people were actually running around instead of sitting in one spot.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-06-02 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

1. Dolphin diving
2. Camping.

Pace and style.

Some games work great without it(Unreal, Planetside) some work great with it(ARMA). Some games are shit with it.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

1. Dolphin diving
2. Camping.

You're a coward if you just want prone to hide.

Don't see the camper argument working that well either honestly, it's more of an excuse. I just think the prone position would be all but useless and unrealistic in Planetside.

As I said before, LA wouldn't use it because their best defense is to go airborne and infiltrators wouldn't use it because they can freaking turn invisible. HA most likely couldn't use it because of their bulky as hell armor. But what am I saying? It's a game so we should dispense with realism. Ok so now you have HA trying to fire chain guns and other close quarters weapons while laying flat on their stomaches in a base.

Those of us who have played PS1 know that to be immobile is to die. A lot. Poor TR MAXes...

The OP said that PS needs prone. Most of us agree that PS does not need it.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-06-02 at 07:16 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
LegioX
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
You're a coward if you just want prone to hide.

Don't see the camper argument working that well either honestly, it's more of an excuse. I just think the prone position would be all but useless and unrealistic in Planetside.

As I said before, LA wouldn't use it because their best defense is to go airborne and infiltrators wouldn't use it because they can freaking turn invisible. HA most likely couldn't use it because of their bulky as hell armor. But what am I saying? It's a game so we should dispense with realism. Ok so now you have HA trying to fire chain guns and other close quarters weapons while laying flat on their stomaches in a base.

Those of us who have played PS1 know that to be immobile is to die. A lot. Poor TR MAXes...

The OP said that PS needs prone. Most of us agree that PS does not need it.
I hardly play inf...mainly air. I'm just advocating for another option to use.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I hardly play inf...mainly air. I'm just advocating for another option to use.
It's an option that isn't needed though. And most of us don't really want it, especially when you consider animations and DEV work required to individualize every soldier with their own weapon while prone (hip fired ones like HA's heavy anti infantry weapons, mini chain gun and jackhammer in particular, would pose serious graphical issues).

It's also just a pain in the ass to get prone and stand up and, again, it would all be useless because people would quickly realize that it's a death trap.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion