Will PS2 recreate defining moments from PS1? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: In Soviet PlanetSide, Vanu Three Way You!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-22, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Post Will PS2 recreate defining moments from PS1?

What are your defining moments in PlanetSide?
What I mean by this is: What moments did you experience in PS that you have not been able to have in any other FPS/game?

- Think about the various game mechanics that allowed those moments to coalesce and try to break them down:

-- What elements were essential to your defining moments?
* Was it team interdependency?
* Was it spawning mechanics?
* Was it capture mechanics?
* Was it world persistence?
* Was it vehicle mechanics?
* Was it the cert system?
* Was it factional loyalty?
* Was it the size?
* Was it TTK?

Now look at PS2 and tell me if those elements exist that made your PS1 defining moments possible.

I think PS2 will disappoint its strong veteran fan base if it cannot recreate those moments that endeared them to PlanetSide in the first place, and that is why I am asking PlanetSide veterans about their game defining moments.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Re: Will PS2 recreate defining moments from PS1?

It was the scale. The game mechanics were generally mediocre at best, but the scale made that mediocre game amazing. PlanetSide 2 is so promising because it will have that same sense of scale, but this time it'll be wrapped in a genuinely good game.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Novice bot
Sergeant

A feel of "real warfare", not to mention the loyalty to your faction, which just happened to stuck on you like a fanaticism towards a hockey team.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Scale was the big one for me. It enabled so many unique elements that made Planetside great, even if I wasn't too fond of a lot of the other individual aspects of the game.

The fact that you could always pick any role you wanted, and still find a place where you could be a valuable contributor to your team was awesome for me. It always annoys me how if I happen to want to go sniping in a lot of shooters, I have to check and make sure that there aren't a half a dozen people already sniping and making our team lose.

None of the nitty gritty stuff ever held my attention in PS1. Most gameplay elements were anywhere from acceptable to terrible IMO. I'm the kind of vet who was in during the games heyday and left early, so obviously my opinion isn't going to be representative of the players who stuck with the game as the populations declined, but for me I'm already pretty thrilled with PS2 and know that it will recreate 90% of what I loved about the first game, while adding in a lot of stuff that I always felt was lacking from the original as well.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Night
Private

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Galaxy dropships on fire off the cost of Cyssor. I watched pulsarbeams glitter in the dark near Gunuku. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain... Time to die.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Crator
Major General

All-in-all it's about massive scale. A lot of the other things you listed fall in place after that. And imo they don't have to work/be the same as they did in PS1. But they should exist....

* Was it team interdependency? Good game-play mechanic for any MMO!
* Was it spawning mechanics? Yes, because after all it is a FPS! But, doesn't have to work the same as PS1.
* Was it capture mechanics? This has to do with the meta-game... Definitely should be there in some form but doesn't have to be the same as PS1...
* Was it world persistence? It's a MMO, so yes, needs to be there.
* Was it vehicle mechanics? Just part of the MMOFPS system! Should be fairly similar as far as quantity since combined arms on a massive scale is what is advertised for the game!
* Was it the cert system? The PS1 cert system wasn't all that great. I'm looking forward to see how the PS2 cert system is different!
* Was it factional loyalty? This was always a fun part of PS1. Should make a return since we still have 3 factions!
* Was it the size? YES, YES, and YES!
* Was it TTK? Gun-play mechanics in PS1 are outdated...
Old 2012-07-22, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

I think PS2 will disappoint its strong veteran fan base if it cannot recreate those moments that endeared them to PlanetSide in the first place, and that is why I am asking PlanetSide veterans about their game defining moments.
It's doing a pretty good job of NOT disappointing the Markovians (described on this very forum as being the closest to having an e-sport mentality). Maybe it'll be disappointing to the guys that played PS Live in its zombie days or the Emeraldites, but the sons and daughters of Markov just love it.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

* Was it team interdependency?
That was part of it.

* Was it spawning mechanics?
Nah. Long as I can spawn *somewhere* and leg my ass back into a glorious big battle I could care less.

* Was it capture mechanics?
Mmmmm.... not really. Sitting around for fifteen minutes got old after awhile.

* Was it world persistence?
Yes.

* Was it vehicle mechanics?
Somewhat. It was cool that each empire had capabilities the other did not, and that was mostly reflected in vehicle design.

* Was it the cert system?
Nah.

* Was it factional loyalty?
Yes, very much so.

* Was it the size?
Bingo. There were days it was like being in a high-tech battle of Gettysburg.

* Was it TTK?
Couldn't care less.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SgtMAD
Captain

PS2 is going to blow away PS1

the best part of PS1 was coming up with a battle plan and then having it all work out against crazy odds,
we pulled that crap off multiple times a day and from the looks of PS2 this will be an even larger template to work on, the possibilities are endless right now and that is goddamn exciting
Old 2012-07-22, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Scale. So yes PS2 will be able to recreate those moments and then some

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Pyreal
First Sergeant

You could always tell us about one of your defining moments too...

It was a fun weekend and I was 1 among many in Flails. We had roughly 25 Flails, plus ground and air support, with FOs lasing targets at maximum range. Seeing all those Flail rounds arc through the sky was awesome.

For myself the aspects that allowed my defining moments in PS1 were: Persistence, scale, and faction loyalty. Those elements gave birth to the best part of that game: long term teamwork.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ratstomper
Major

I liked PS1 over other shooters because of the scale and persistence. It was awesome to fight tooth and nail for a continent one afternoon, then log in the next day and see it was still blue. Then you set your eyes on a whole different continent that required a different set of tactics.

In other words, it was a real fake war. Logistics, numbers and tactics not only applied to your current battle, but all the battles you were going to fight in the next few hours. That's what made the gameplay unique.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

Scale - Good to go, its getting bigger
Continental Strategy - We'll see. This was primarily driven by base benefits in PS1. No real word yet on how that is going to play out in PS2, but the resource game may replace it. Hopefully they will get this right.
Inter-continental Strategy - Driven by cont lock benefits, and the desire to not be sanc locked. Fairly certain it was mentioned that your resource gain is based solely on the cont your on, not what your faction controls elsewhere. Hopefully there will be some mechanic in place that encourages concern for what is happening on the other conts. If not, the level of strategy will be greatly reduced.
Game mechanics - PS1 had a lot of unfortunate and subpar mechanics that were only balanced out by the scale and strategy of the game. PS2 seems to be addressing these.

Overall, I am reasonably optimistic that PS2 will provide an even greater set of good memories.
Old 2012-07-22, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

The defining moments, I thought, were very rare, like walking out the front door and seeing 3 galaxies overhead, dropping squads right onto the CC, or gunning a tank as armies smash into each other between bases, or hitting a defense from behind in your reaver and blasting off at 200 kph , watching missles follow you on the radar.

They were fun as hell, and no other game could give you that , but 99% of the time you were either grinding your way into a tower, grinding your way into a base or in a standoff over a bridge. The whole game was constantly getting bogged down and the terrible, glitchy infantry combat sure didn't help anything.

Last edited by GhettoPrince; 2012-07-22 at 06:17 PM.
Old 2012-07-22, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Gwartham
Corporal

Nope.

The scale and mechanics are completely different.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion