News: Linda Carlson on Community and Offensive Players - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yeah, we enjoyed it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-09-22, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Re: Linda Carlson on Community and Offensive Players

The original ps1 forums 2003-2005 self moderated the trolls kept the clueless scrubs at bay. You had to have a thick skin and give a good as you took but it worked and the forum community thrived it was far less negative and actually fun to use those forums. This namby pandy approach just lets the weak clueless retarded idiots thrive, which in turn will effect the game as they get stupid stuff implemented.

Stick with PSU at least if a poster is an idiot you can tear him down without getting a 3 day ban, people these days need to man the fuck up.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-09-22, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
The original ps1 forums 2003-2005 self moderated the trolls kept the clueless scrubs at bay. You had to have a thick skin and give a good as you took but it worked and the forum community thrived it was far less negative and actually fun to use those forums. This namby pandy approach just lets the weak clueless retarded idiots thrive, which in turn will effect the game as they get stupid stuff implemented.

Stick with PSU at least if a poster is an idiot you can tear him down without getting a 3 day ban, people these days need to man the fuck up.
I have once experienced a forum the likes of which you have just described. It was my first ever forum.

I got banned, trolled, shouted at, insulted, and made fun of. I hated it at the time.

And it's an experience I would recommend to anyone to go through at least once in their life.

Being human is crazy, I know. You can get used to all sorts of stuff. I got used to playing at 20 FPS. I got used to riding a crappy bike. And before that, i was used to being a silly person. But no longer.

Doesn't mean every forum should turn into an abominable cesspit like 4chan though. The people there like it, but get this, not everyone does. And the majority should enjoy their time here, in my opinion. And it's not their fault.

Last edited by EvilNinjadude; 2013-09-22 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Clarified last paragraph
Old 2013-09-22, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Obstruction
First Sergeant

the "you should have a thick skin" movement has a name. it's called hazing.

it's also called "vertical violence" and refers to a host of abusive behaviors from simple verbal bullying all the way to actual spousal violence.

the general idea is that whatever negativity has been visited upon a person, in the process of them gaining social/group status or coming of age, they then justify as being part of a natural process and then justify their own transmission of the negative behavior to the next generation of hazers, bullies, or abusers.

in other words, "you have to have a thick skin, i went through it, it's just part of growing up and now it's my turn to be the one to make the new guy feel as terrible as i did."

the truth is, this is not healthy, especially in a "consequence free" environment online. it makes people feel bad and it makes them treat others badly. when combined with the dis-inhibiting effect of the anonymity of the internet (google "online disinhibition effect") bullying and hazing can be magnified to shocking levels - in many already documented cases leading to victims' suicide.

it may not seem like a lot to be bullied in a game, on a forum, or social media outlet. your own experience may have been "toughening up." but that is no justification for what was done to you, and no justification to visit it upon anyone else, any more than hazing, bullying, or domestic verbal abuse or violence can be justified.

removing toxic personalities from our online communities through careful moderation may not be the best answer, but we certainly can't rely on victims of toxic behavior to end the cycle themselves. the representative in question made plenty of qualifying remarks about this policy that should speak for themselves. i support it, and look forward to that toxic .05% being kept out of EQ3 the best we are able, before they can transmit that behavior vertically and cause the toxicity to become the norm as it has, so famously, in LoL, among other communities.
Old 2013-09-22, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Of course every forum should have moderation but it is my opinion that this should be there for the extremes rather than SOE's current kid protection policies they use to jump on anything and everything that someone feels they can report a user for.

This i think is why the planetside 2 forums are purely full of nerf this, buff that overppop rggh, there is nothing else on there, no community because you cannot speak openly because the moment someone dislikes your opinion you get reported for trolling and puff post gone suspension inbound.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-09-22, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I realize this may be somewhat of a forgotten skill, but it turns out you can argue with someone quite respectfully. I haven't seen a good example of a post getting nuked that didn't make it personal, obscene, or both.
Old 2013-09-23, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Skittles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
the "you should have a thick skin" movement has a name. it's called hazing.

it's also called "vertical violence" and refers to a host of abusive behaviors from simple verbal bullying all the way to actual spousal violence.

the general idea is that whatever negativity has been visited upon a person, in the process of them gaining social/group status or coming of age, they then justify as being part of a natural process and then justify their own transmission of the negative behavior to the next generation of hazers, bullies, or abusers.

in other words, "you have to have a thick skin, i went through it, it's just part of growing up and now it's my turn to be the one to make the new guy feel as terrible as i did."

the truth is, this is not healthy, especially in a "consequence free" environment online. it makes people feel bad and it makes them treat others badly. when combined with the dis-inhibiting effect of the anonymity of the internet (google "online disinhibition effect") bullying and hazing can be magnified to shocking levels - in many already documented cases leading to victims' suicide.

it may not seem like a lot to be bullied in a game, on a forum, or social media outlet. your own experience may have been "toughening up." but that is no justification for what was done to you, and no justification to visit it upon anyone else, any more than hazing, bullying, or domestic verbal abuse or violence can be justified.

removing toxic personalities from our online communities through careful moderation may not be the best answer, but we certainly can't rely on victims of toxic behavior to end the cycle themselves. the representative in question made plenty of qualifying remarks about this policy that should speak for themselves. i support it, and look forward to that toxic .05% being kept out of EQ3 the best we are able, before they can transmit that behavior vertically and cause the toxicity to become the norm as it has, so famously, in LoL, among other communities.
Who says its not healthy? You? How did you become judge/jury on this topic? Because, I say it IS healthy to have a hazing/tough skin community. In fact, I whole heartedly encourage it. And furthermore, I think it works much better for most competitive games in general. Does it work in games that are strong in role play and fantasy? EQ-UO-SWTOR. No. Games like BF-PS-Cod, EVE? Yes.

I think its comical you think people playing EQ-Next are the people you're playing w/in PS2. Its a completely different community. Its like saying you went to a MMA fight and were amazed at how over the top the crowd was compared to the John Mayer concert and how at some point the two crowds are going to "mingle" together.

The problem with the whole thing is the fact Person A makes some comment on Reddit-Twitter-Facebook that has ZERO connection to SOE. Person B, reports, links, copy/pastes it someplace or directly to SOE and BAM, Person A is now banned. That applies to HERE as well from the way I read it. The other issue is that its completely arbitrary as to what is and is not out of bounds. What is out of bounds? Who is making the call on out of bounds? Some right wing ultra conservative, religious fanatic, women in the kitchen, no sex before marriage type? Or is it some left wing, tree hugging, socks with sandals, I'll never hit my child type? Yeah, you just don't know. What may be out of bounds on Tuesday may be fair game on Thursday before happy hour.

Not a big deal to me either way. SOE hasn't had a decent game release since PoTBS, but this whole "we're going to ban offensive players" is a freaking joke when its such a grey area they haven't clarified on. They didn't do jack-shit about BCP and his racist rant filled tirade he went on. If he were to go on it now on his OWN vent/TS server and someone recorded it, posted it now, would he be banned for it? Its his server. His right to talk-spew shit out his mouth non-stop, but now they can ban him because they say they're going to ban people make it all good?

Or lets say its FC and they go on their gay pride, man love thing and someone is offended do they get banned? How about a discussion about underage sex? Amputee sex? Capitol punishment? It all becomes a grey road......
Old 2013-09-23, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Who says its not healthy? You? How did you become judge/jury on this topic? Because, I say it IS healthy to have a hazing/tough skin community. In fact, I whole heartedly encourage it.

You are a fucking idiot who likes getting his balls licked by deranged stray dogs.
There. Your daily dose of healthy. No need to thank me.

Social skills and the ability to communicate normally with other human beings is something you need in your everyday life, and personally i think that should be encouraged rather than the opposite. What kind of signal would it be to say "We know our playerbase is full of raging 13 year olds so we encourage prepubescent behaviour on our boards. Dickjokes full ahead!". I'm sure a statement like that would fly very well with the public.
Old 2013-09-23, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
PredatorFour
Major

If you argue with someone you don't fall out with them. If you fall out with someone over an argument where you are right or wrong then you might as well just take your ball home as well as throwing the rattle out the pram.

All i can say on this matter though is that i'm glad i have never used the official forums once. Why ? What is the point ? This forum is the planetside forum.

If someone is continually wrong they'll get the message at some point by people telling them over and over. If people are getting banned for calling out this idiot who keeps posting then what good is that going to do ? All it will do is let the idiot's roam free without anyone putting them in place. You add this to the Troll Revolution and you got a real bad problem where trolls aren't getting banned and decent players are.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion