A good idea? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you know where your grandma is?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Listen Ability for Hackers?
Yes 12 41.38%
No 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-02-09, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
WCruler
Contributor
Corporal

Lightbulb A good idea?

It would be cool if a hacker could get a special ability or use some kind of equipment that could listen to what the enemy was saying.

For Example: A stealthy Vanu hacker is sitting down in a bush next to a bunch of Terran commanders that are planning on attacking a Vanu base soon. The hacker targets a commander and receives the conversation that the commander is having.

Tell me what you think...
Old 2003-02-09, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Nope, for three reasons:

1. It would give the ability to crossteam fairly easy. Just have some listen in to the chats to send information to another team. Also makes it fairly easy to form those little alliances.
2. Hacking is powerful enough as it is, it doesn't need any improvements
3. You can already overhear any VOICE macros said in speak.
Old 2003-02-09, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Falcon
Corporal

Cool

Also the listen in would be the job of an infiltrator, spy or scout, not a hacker.

-=Falcon=-
Old 2003-02-09, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
�io
Lieutenant General

I think it would be a good idea if joined with (forgot who's) idea about the hacker being able to hack into the enemy's network, so said hacker could hack into a console on base X and being able to see what base is low on NTUs or see what commands are being given to the whole empire,etc.
Old 2003-02-09, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

I like that idea, but I would want another level of hacking certification to get it. Right now it seems like it is a little too easy to be a jack-of-all-trades. Have to wait and see though
Old 2003-02-09, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Civilian
Contributor
Major

That's not a bad idea. I wouldn't mind seeing that for either the hacker or the infiltrator. It would be cool to have the infiltrator, invisible near the enemies base and able to read what the enemy is saying to one another. And what Dio said for the hacker
Old 2003-02-09, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Falcon
Corporal

Cool

I agree with the people being a "jack of all trades" the game will kinda get a little redundant if eveyone can do everything.
I think that, besides the standard 2 points for the certs for like hacking or even the one for engineering, if someone wants to be able to set motion sensors, they have to cert for that as the beginning, then for the mines, another point, and then for the turrets another point so insted of the 2 certs now for engineering they have to get 3.

As well for hacking.

also right now if a pilot wants to fly the Mosquito you have to cert that, but you don't get to cert for the rever at the same time, they are almost the same ship. that would balance out a little more methinks.

-=Falcon=-
Old 2003-02-09, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Arshune
Captain

They said somewhere that while hacking you become visible in an infiltrator suit (pretty sure). So with that there to balance it out, I think intelligence gathering like that would be a really cool idea.

-Our principal is SO hardcore.
Old 2003-02-09, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

could be used way to easaly to allow a spy from another empire to give information to their clan's empire.
Old 2003-02-09, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Falcon
Corporal

Cool

that's the point lol. I was just thinking, how bout someone or maby a group of infiltrators get inside a base and deplete it's power? that would kinda be funny, when the base goes neutral and the garrison there can't do crap, then your team attacks. Will that be possible?

Im Voting Nomikahn for Senior Editor
Old 2003-02-09, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Nomikahn
Corporal

Im against this idea, like Omnipotentkiwi said. Hacking is close if not already overpowered as it is. Adding the ability to disrupt plans would greatly destroy a large factor of the game.
Old 2003-02-09, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
WCruler
Contributor
Corporal

Post What I meant...

I mean the ability to listen could be for like a scout or some other class, it does not matter I just wanted to see if that ability would be liked if it was in the game.

This ability could be an implant or some thing like that.
Old 2003-02-09, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, I figured out a better explanation for why this is a poor idea.

Even with all the intricacies of this game, at its core, it IS a FPS. The entire game is based on JUST securing bases. That is the core, everything else stems from that. You kill the people to get the bases; you get abilities for capturing enough bases, etc.

The only way to really do that is to get a large amount of troops, in concept, to that one location. With stealth suits, and zoom implants, how hard will it be to spy on a good income point for them? If you see 30+ people starting to gather, and more people incoming, SOMETHING is going on around that area. With a stealth quad (Wraith), that even allows you to trail them. Having this ability kills almost ANY chance of surprise, as we already know that stealth will probably be overused anyhow.

Hm, I like this explanation. Hope everyone else does too
Old 2003-02-09, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bighoss
General

I say Bang Bang Bang u say boom boom boom
Old 2003-02-09, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Falcon
Corporal

Cool

yea, if there was just away to limit some of this stuff, maby like you can only have a ceratin amount of spys in your group or something. but yea i see now.

Im Voting Nomikahn for Senior Editor
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion