n00b questions! :D - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Need a friend? We can help.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-21, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
SilentCacophony
Master Sergeant

I'm positive from what I've read that ANYONE can hack. Difference is, it takes a considerable amount of time for someone who is not certified in hacking or advanced hacking. Since hacking into a base would be quite a blow to the enemy, it wouldn't surprise me if a non hacker took at least 2 minutes to hack into a base.
Old 2003-02-21, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

yep think hes right, you do have to hack to capture a base (neutral or enemy), but you dont have to have the cert. The certs just make it much faster.

I did say I think thou so no flames!
Old 2003-02-21, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, anyone can hack, it's just really slow when they do.

Good job Saint, that's the only question I immediately noticed was partly incorrect.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-21, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
balab
Sergeant

devs also mentioned that no ammo can penetrate objects. meaning if you're crouched behind a cardboard box, you're safe from direct fire (until the box is destroyed).

this train of thought came from the "deformable terrain" question.

Last edited by balab; 2003-02-21 at 10:55 AM.
Old 2003-02-21, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

SO the real utility in the hacking Cert... outside of speed when hacking a base is the sweet and spiffy ability to Hack Terminals, and vehicles and all those other fun things... I think stealth Hackers are gonna be hella fun to play!
Old 2003-02-21, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I'm fairly certain that while anyone can hack a base, you need certs to hack other things. I think you even need the advanced cert to hack individual equipment terminals in an enemy base.
Old 2003-02-21, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Saint
Captain

That is what I was getting at, even tho my example was bad. You need a hacking cert for some things and an advanced hacking cert for others. Not just anyone can hack anything.
Old 2003-02-21, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Airlift
I'm fairly certain that while anyone can hack a base, you need certs to hack other things. I think you even need the advanced cert to hack individual equipment terminals in an enemy base.
I think you need basic hacking to hack a base...
Believe the non-certed things were even simpler, although I can't remember off the top of your head.
Old 2003-02-21, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Moleculor
Sergeant

I think you need basic hacking to hack a base...
No. Not true. It just takes forever and a day to hack a base without hacking. (Not literally a day, but a very long time.)

Why? Well, all bases start neutral. And you can't really get anything to kill with (thereby obtaining BEP to get Hacking) until you have a base. Therefore base hacking doesn't require Hacking. Most other stuff does though.

Next questions:

Say I'm in an Infiltration Suit. I know it has only slots for a pistol and a knife (and maybe one other thing) but do I have a seperate inventory where I can pick up, say, a rocket launcher and carry it somewhere?

And a very newbie question... You log out. You wait a long while. You log in. Where do you log in at?
Old 2003-02-21, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
TheGreatCarbini
First Sergeant

hehe I think the best hacking system so far has been in System Shock 2. Anyone who has played that game knows what I'm talking about. Scariest, game, EVER.
Old 2003-02-21, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

REK
The Remote Electronics Kit (REK) is a hand-held hacking device that can remotely interface with the majority of enemy terminal types at close range. Most REK functions require either Hacking or Advanced Hacking Certification, but there are also standard functions that don't require any hacking certifications but take considerable time when employed by a non-Hacker.
Old 2003-02-21, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Moleculor
No. Not true. It just takes forever and a day to hack a base without hacking. (Not literally a day, but a very long time.)

Why? Well, all bases start neutral. And you can't really get anything to kill with (thereby obtaining BEP to get Hacking) until you have a base. Therefore base hacking doesn't require Hacking. Most other stuff does though.
Point me to something that states it for a fact....

You can get BR3 from VR training alone, which is enough to get a hacking cert.
You do start with basic weapon skills.
You get BEPs for killing people, and you don't need bases to kill people.

Nothing you said states for a fact that hacking a base will not require a basic hacking cert.
Old 2003-02-21, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Saint
Captain

From what I could piece together the Ghost suit has a 3x3 inventory where a grenade takes up 1x1 spot, They have 1 pistol slot and one knife slot (all armors cept MAX have automatic knife slot) So the smartest layout would be REk in pistol slot, Knife in hand, inv filled with nades or ACEs and meele booster implant.

You log back in at your last bound spawn point, when you reach a new spawn point you can bind to it, and that is your new spawn site but you can always choose to spawn at the sanctuary. If you bind to a base and then an enemy takes it I believe you can bind to a base your team owns or the sanctuary. I am not 100% sure but you get the idea.
Old 2003-02-21, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Moleculor
Sergeant

Originally posted by OmnipotentKiwi
Point me to something that states it for a fact....
On the first day of the game, will you be able to jump into the game and become a hacker? Or how long will it take to hack bases? In addition, what sort of things can be hacked?

Fair enough. This is a misconception, and it�s an understandable misconception because of the way that we phrased the certifications. We have two [hacking] certifications. There is Hacking and Advanced Hacking. However, anybody can hack a control console or a door� but it takes a long time if you don�t have a certification. So in a pinch, anybody can hack a console, anybody can get in through a door, it�s just that you�re more exposed. If you have Hacking or Advanced Hacking, then you�re fast [basic], or faster [Hacking certificate], or fastest if you have Advanced Hacking. In addition, once you become certified in hacking, you can do things like hack terminals. Now that can be very handy when you�re in an enemy base, especially in an infiltration suit. When you�re in the enemy base, you can buy equipment from their equipment terminal; you can buy a vehicle from their vehicle terminal; you can hack their medical terminals and heal yourself; you can hack their lockers and get into your locker; etc, etc.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/a...leId=33&page=2

ph34r m3, ph04 I 4 l33t n00b!

Dude, I should NOT know this game better than you do. I started reading in depth last night.
Old 2003-02-21, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Moleculor
Dude, I should NOT know this game better than you do. I started reading in depth last night.
Being wrong on one thing, that was only mentioned once in a dev chat does not make me know the game less then you do. Like you said, you started reading reading in depth last night, this was fresh in your mind, and not in mine. I remembered you could hack doors w/out the cert, but it slipped my mind that you can hack a control console.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion