Whats planetside you ask? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't eat the yellow snow. Please.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-28, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
TiMe-ELF
Private

Whats planetside you ask?

When some1 asks you: "What is planetside in a nutshel?"

Whats your answer?

"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam."
Thx Plato for this line
Old 2002-12-28, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Camping Carl
Major

My religion.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-28, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TiMe-ELF
Private

hehe nice one, more more!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx Plato for this line
Old 2002-12-28, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Camping Carl
Major

These may interest you, various devs opinions:

Dave Kuykendall - This is the game everyone who has ever played a FPS has ever wanted. This is not the same old hat; a handful of players in some architectural parody existing for twenty minutes at a time. PlanetSide is thousands of players, interacting (ok, shooting one another) in a huge world twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. If you see that mountain in the distance you can go there. And in a tank if you wanted. And then shoot people when you get there. How can you NOT be excited about that?

Trammel Isaac - Other than the fact that its the first of its kind or its one of the MOST ambitious games to come out in recent years. What about ... never mind, I could go on and on. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

Don Neufeld - Because we're not a rehash of another game. Every few months I pick up an industry magazine and invariably read some editorial whinage about how games aren't original anymore. That's simply not going to be true of Planetside.

Steve Wang - This game is not like anything out there and I�ve heard people talking about the concept for years. Well folks, it�s being done. Get ready, it�s gonna be big!

Danny Han - I believe we're taking the familiar FPS genre and putting into something that's much bigger than any single game has ever shown, all in the context
of a massively multiplayer universe. I can guarantee this game is going to have you begging for more.

Dave Georgeson - Because they have never played a game like this before. This is, quite frankly, a completely new gaming experience. You'll meet hundreds of folks, make friends with some of them and enemies out of others, form Outfits and Squads to organize on the battlefield, create alliances with other Outfits, and strive to take over entire Continents. The ebb and flow of war and the constant seeking for fame, fortune, and glory (as well as cash) will make a completely new dynamic for what seems, at casual first glance, to just be an "FPS-on-a-very-big-scale". There are command structures, orbital platforms with drop pods, alien warp gates, respawning strategies, planetary economies, and a lot more. It's going to be hard to imagine just how different this game is until you play it.

Andrew Risch - Because it is going to be a truly different game. I know you�ve been told that many times and wonder how though. Sure it�s still a FPS game, running around
shooting people. At that base level, sure we�ve all seen that before. But also before
PlanetSide, you had a definable limit on your opponents. Either they would respawn in
the level somewhere or will be spawning once a round is up. It was a finite situation in
whatever case. Now with PlanetSide, the differences in the scale of our own finite world
are vast and you don�t have server re-starts. The level won�t end because it�s a persistent
world. You just won�t have always the same situation over and over again because you
never know who or how many people you are going up against. The game�s foundation is
similar enough that it will allow any FPS player immediate recognition of the controls
and the basic game, but the way you play, the tactics, the strategy is going to be a brand
new and ever evolving experience every time you join. Welcome to a new level of stress.

Terrence Yee - We�re bringing something new to the table here. A squad based tactical shooter spread across a huge amount of terrain wherein player specialties play an enormous role set in a persistent environment. Whew, what a mouthful.

Scott Martin - In terms of scale, it's a lot more expansive than your standard FPS. We just conducted a playtest with nearly 130 people fighting in roughly the same area of one continent. It's incredibly cool to stand on the crest of a hill, watching four light gunships and a group of guys in heavy armor streak towards an enemy base while tanks, mounted turrets and snipers try to repel their attack -- and every one of them is controlled by an individual human being. I can't wait to see what happens when this game goes live.

Joe Marullo - We've had a lot of larger scale play-tests in the past few months, ones that give us an idea of how the action can play out.
I've had my character slammed behind a grouping of sandbags desperately picking off wave after wave of enemy soldiers with my sniper rifle and its dwindling ammunition supply. It's hopeless, I know that because there are just too many of them pouring into the courtyard. The turrets seem to be offline, and the enemy aircraft are coming in full force and driving everyone for cover. I can't reload fast enough to keep up, and for every soldier I down, another one seems to make it closer to the base. I see my Terran teammates falling faster and faster as the odds increasingly turn against us, and the final round from my Bolt Driver bounces harmlessly off the energy shield of a heavily armored New Conglomerate MAX. As it turns its attention towards me and the first of the NC tanks penetrates into the courtyard behind it, my hand fumbles futilely for my pistol, the world outside the edges of my screen starts to fade away, and finally I am PlanetSide

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-28, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TiMe-ELF
Private

ok thx now i have enough reading material for the coming weeks

Thx Plato for this line
Old 2002-12-28, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stalefish
Corporal

Nice execution Carl.
Old 2002-12-28, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Camping Carl
Major

Thank you, ::bows::

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-28, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Saint
Captain

Time is on my side, yes it is... Time is on my side, oh yes it is, now you always say that you wanna be free, just like I hoped you would baby, I won't have to cry no more babe, yeah... yeah... yeah... Time is on my side, yes it is... Time is on my side, oh yes it is... That is how I feel, I can't wait till this game is released, I have nothing to play right now. I got my counter-strike cds stolen and I reformatted my computer before I upgraded to be able to handle that beast of a game PS... So I have reverted to my Diablo 2 EXP days, please release this game early...
Old 2002-12-28, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
afex
Contributor
Major

if somebody asks me about what planetside is, i usually end up talking their ear off for at least 30 minutes
Old 2002-12-28, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by afex
if somebody asks me about what planetside is, i usually end up talking their ear off for at least 30 minutes
Only 30???!
Old 2002-12-28, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
TiMe-ELF
Private

lol me to i just cant stop talking when i start

Thx Plato for this line
Old 2002-12-28, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Camping Carl
Major

Vanu still suck....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion