PSU: Yes, that's a real quote!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-04-18, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrPaul
Major

I should've seen it coming...

About 2 months ago, my mum bought me a *shudder* Dell, she did this despite me telling her all the negatives, but she swore by them, and thus bought it. (I was getting a new comp, I wouldn't flat out say "no" ) Anyway, after a meagre 2 months the D Drive (DVD/ CD Combi) has cocked up. It's not being detected, it won't open, and has trapped a CD of mine in it, and won't let me open it up to get it.

My question is: I'm not very techy, and have no knowledge of computer assembly, but is there anyway I could try to get it to work again without having to open up the tower (which I want to avoid at all costs). Or should I just ring a professional? Or, ring the Dell helpline?

PS. Don't laugh at the Dell-ness, it's not my fault!
Old 2004-04-18, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Cyanide
Major

First, remind your mother that you told her not to get a Dell. Second, call Dell and tell them about your problem. They'll probably tell you to take it to one of their certified repair shops and that will be that.

As for getting your disc out of the drive. Usually there is a small hole somewhere on the front of the drive that is just big enough to stick a paperclip into. If there is one, go get a paper clip and bend it so that you can stick the end into that hole. You should then be able to open the drive just enough to be able to pull the trey out the rest of the way.
Old 2004-04-18, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Dell has decnt Support so they shoudl be able to help you.

Cyanide took care of the gettign the CD out part

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-18, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Acaila
First Lieutenant

You should have atleast a year warranty, if not 3.
Old 2004-04-19, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Sure Dell has decent tech support, you just cant UNDERSTAND them.

My stepmother has a Dell, and she had some problems with her video card a few years back that I couldn't figure out for the life of me. Anyhow, I called up Dell, and after being on hold for half a century, I got some tech guy with a heavy middle-eastern accent. He asked me what my problem was, ("HalloDellTeckSupporMyNameEs[something]HowKenIHepYoo?") I explained the problem to him, and got put back on hold for another couple of years. Eventually he came back on tried walking me through the solution. After saying "huh?" "what?" and "er, I didn't catch that" about 50 million times (kinda embarrasing lol) I managed to get through the steps he gave me and solve the problem.

So yeah, I mean, Dell did a decent job of solving the problem, its just that I lost a good portion of my youth sitting there on hold, and understanding the fellow was a chore to say the least.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-04-19 at 10:44 AM.
Old 2004-04-20, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

i know with SBC you can request Tier 2, cuz they HAVE to use some american tech support.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-04-20, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DemiInuyoukai
Private

to take care of teh CD, there should be a little emergency release "hole" near the actual tray. Bend a paper clip and poke around in there, it should open and you can get the CD.
Old 2004-04-21, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Cyanide:
As for getting your disc out of the drive. Usually there is a small hole somewhere on the front of the drive that is just big enough to stick a paperclip into. If there is one, go get a paper clip and bend it so that you can stick the end into that hole. You should then be able to open the drive just enough to be able to pull the trey out the rest of the way.
Too late DemiInuyoukai

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum