Gameplay: what about a "urban" type continent? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ie diunt ned to pai nay tab! *hickup*
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

View Poll Results: Do you like this idea? (read post first please)
YES, i absolutely love this idea 82 76.64%
YES, i think it would be cool but i wouldn't play on it often 8 7.48%
NO OPINION 2 1.87%
NO, good idea but, not really a planetside type enviroment 11 10.28%
NO, this is not a good idea 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-11, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
luketopian
Private

Lightbulb what about a "urban" type continent?

I just started thinking of what if there was an urban type continent. A example of the cityscape i'm talking about would be cities such as new york, houston, london, paris, dallas, ect.

It's just fighting street by street or building by building in an urban landscape mixed with PS(2) that just makes me. you know. about how much i want it in the game. ok now on to brass tax.

Description of the continent:

What i was think was that around the edges of the continent, or most of the coastline of the continent, and maybe interior sections seperating districts / cities, 3-5 hexes wide, was farmland, forest, ect. and they slowly urbanized asyou got towards the center of the map or where ever the city(s) are. In the citiy there would be underground tunnels connecting say 2-7 hexes and the buildings in them. (these could also be sewers.) and around bases such as bio lab and tech bases would be "similar" buildings. what i mean is when near a tech bases you will se more factories and on the otherside of the city near a bio labs would have more science oriented buildings and parks. There could also be multilabed inter-city roads going through the city(s).

gameplay wise here are 2 short stories of what i thnk the most epic of fighting in this landscape would be:

1. You and your company of VS buddies are moving down main street, clearing buildings (i don't know what buildings would be there. maybe places like: StopGame, sammart, and wal club, what i mean is just stores, office buildings and such.) on your way, moving towards the capitol building while moving up the block you and the company are attacked by a cloaked NC snipers hidden somewhere in King Burger HQ. While your tank friends put suppressive fire on the building, you and your squad take a flanking rout through StopGame and come in through a back door clearing room by room. you put a guy with thermal/blacklight up front. to make sure he doesn't cloak past you when, from a secret tunnel in the basement, NC reinforcements come to aid the trapped snipers. You split up the group in to 2, one to keep the enemy coming up the stairs at bay and another to find and kill the snipers pinning down your friendly infintry. you find and kill the sniper and look out the window to see the tank collom is stoped by a barraked in the road and has to find a way around when. BOOM. an enemy liberator blows up the last tank, making the rest sitting ducks. luckly one of your friends brought some aa weaponry. you run to the rest of the squad to find that they have been pushed back up the stairs and are nearly to the top floor. in the heat of the battle your squad leader forms a plan to take out 2 birds with one stone by setting up a defensive postion on the roof. from there they can shoot down the TR liberator and defend against the NC coming from below. with the postion set, yall destroy the liberator and fend of the NC right as the tank collom pulls up infront of the building. your journey is allmost over, yall get orders to find and hack the tunnel's secret entrance in the basement. You do as told and find the tunnel leads to the bunkers under the capitol building. yall wait for your armored buddies so they can distract the enemy while yall take the capitol. the tactic goes according to plan and yall win the day.

2. you and your outfit load up in your sunderer and are going to take a inter-city highway through the countryside and head to the city auraxis, but you have to go through the contested city of luketopia to get there. you and your team are on the intersection of inter-city 12 (which you've been traveling on) and inter-city 1. (which leads to auraxis.) yall are on the top of the "rollercoaster" of roads about to be on inter-city 1 when. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! A VS liberator if firing on you and your sunder are missed by 2 of the shells... but the 3rd hit right under your sundy and flipped it sky high and yall are now falling towards the ground. your sunder hits. hard. yall escape unscaved but the sunder... its totalled. yall set a perimeter and try to decide whether to repair the sunderer or move to the nearest base. you soon relize the decision was made for you,yall see that only way out of the area is by foot. so the trek to the neares base begins, there is only one problem...
yall are in NC controlled territory.
you move building to buildig and come across an allout attack on the tech base you all where heading to. worse, your friendlies where losing. you send a sniper team to a roof top from which they spot a enemy gallaxy spawn point. your team moves in takes the building and jacks the galls. with nothing more than a few thank you's your team takes one of the gallaxies and heads to your objective.

The way i see it this kind of stuff may or may not happen often, but i would be pretty epic to see or be part of a story like that if you ask me.

So what do yall think? should they implement this in game in a update post-launch, or is this just an idea that just is not PS. I hope is the first choice.

P.S. sorry for any grammar errors

Thank you all for reading my 1st post!!!

Last edited by luketopian; 2012-05-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Toppopia
Major

Re: what about a "urban" type continent?

An urban setting would be amazing to see, but from what i have seen and heard there is no mention about urban environments except for a base. But a continent dedicated to Urban Warfare would be awesome. Especially because only good pilots could navigate between the highrise buildings and snipers could be anywhere.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

there will be some urban-like areas on every continent from what we've seen (under domes i.e.). i personally don't think there's a need for separate "urban continent" but if many would want it I don't see why not.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
luketopian
Private

thanks for the opinions guys keep them coming
Old 2012-05-11, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

In my estimation, we are getting urban combat by default. Bases are much larger than in PS1, with multiple sections that can be captured independently.
Old 2012-05-11, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Toppopia
Major

How big are these 'urban' areas that are in currently? 1km squared? And can planes fly around them or is it infantry only? Because it would nice to see a completely dedicated urban area that is massive and air units can enter the low-building area and only the skilled pilots would attempt to navigate highrise buildings where AA could be hiding on rooftops along with snipers, that would be pretty cool to see.
Old 2012-05-12, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

I'm not a big fan of urban like maps. One of the greatest things of Planetside for me was always huge battles in open fields with minor signs of civilization (bases, towers...)

I can imagine something like ruins of former cities but embedded into the planet's natural enviroment.

Also I think it will be pretty hardware intensive to display whole cities in huge maps like in Planetside.
That doesn't at all run well in ArmA for instance.
Old 2012-05-12, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xyntech
Brigadier General

As others have mentioned, the larger sizes of bases have already given us more urban style combat in PS2 than we had in the first game.

That doesn't mean I am against an urban continent, just that we already have some urban environments accounted for.

I would actually still like to see a more urban environment, but what I would like to see is that it be used to diversify the range of urban combat we experience, instead of just being like a giant continent wide version of the standard base fights we will see in PS2.

What I would like to see are large superhighways, spanning from one base to another, like some of those epic bridges we have seen, yet even longer, more winding, with some bridges crisscrossing on top of each other.

I'd like to see smaller buildings spread out in more suburban style developments, where we can have urban combat mesh more with vehicle combat, with wide open grassy fields and ample roadways for tanks, and low height buildings so that aircraft are still in play.

Combine this with more major urban centers, where bases are now buried within burnt out sky scrapers, a no mans land for vehicles where AA and AV could be lurking in every corner.

Since the devs seem to be consolidating more than one style of environment into each continent, hopefully they will be open to more diverse continent styles like this for future additions to the game.

I'd love to see a volcanic continent that's even crazier than Searhus, a continent that is filled with caves and surface environments, an archipelago filled with islands and bridges (especially if they add naval combat and have it be a mixed environment of the two), and as many other diverse locations as possible.

Planetside is all about large scale combined arms fighting, and I think exploring that concept in as large a variety of settings as possible will be amazing.
Old 2012-05-12, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Pyreal
First Sergeant

I'm primarily interested in vehicle combat and urban environs usually mean less vehicles. However, your post did get me wondering: where do all these people live when they aren't shooting at each other?
Old 2012-05-12, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
I'm primarily interested in vehicle combat and urban environs usually mean less vehicles. However, your post did get me wondering: where do all these people live when they aren't shooting at each other?
*There is a massive battle raging outside a base, then a whistle blows to signify end of the battle for the day, then a TR soldier walks up to a NC soldier and says "You almost got me a few times mate" and helps him off the ground, to which the NC replies "Yeah well, i will get you tomorrow just you wait." And this talk continues as they walk back to their apartments and say their farewells.

The next day:

"Alright everyone back to your positions from yesterday... Oi you!! You wern't there, get back outside!"

The TR and NC soldier eye eachother up as they prepare for the whistle to be blown, marking the beginning of a new day, and new battles...*

That sums up pretty well what should happen each day
Old 2012-05-12, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
luketopian
Private

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
*There is a massive battle raging outside a base, then a whistle blows to signify end of the battle for the day, then a TR soldier walks up to a NC soldier and says "You almost got me a few times mate" and helps him off the ground, to which the NC replies "Yeah well, i will get you tomorrow just you wait." And this talk continues as they walk back to their apartments and say their farewells.

The next day:

"Alright everyone back to your positions from yesterday... Oi you!! You wern't there, get back outside!"

The TR and NC soldier eye eachother up as they prepare for the whistle to be blown, marking the beginning of a new day, and new battles...*

Then a VS Liberator comes and blows there bodies and souls skyhigh.

THE END.
Old 2012-05-12, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by luketopian View Post
Then a VS Liberator comes and blows there bodies and souls skyhigh.

THE END.
Then the TR find the portal that lets them get back to Earth and then close it behind them leaving VS and NC trapped forever.

THE END..
Old 2012-05-12, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post

The next day:

This reminds me of Emerald server so much. NC and TR actually had a truce when the VS got their BFR's first and had so much more firepower for a bit. I got my BFR and "accidentally" stepped on TR which helped me get my cert. For the record, I did feel bad about it, they bleed red, not pinkish purple after all.

I do wonder how an urban area would work lore wise though, probably wouldn't be too hard for the devs, they ARE geniuses after all.
Old 2012-05-12, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Toppopia
Major

The only way cities won't fit into the game is if when everyone wants to sleep they get deconstructed and stored in holding chambers till the morning, also removes the need to eat or poop
Old 2012-05-13, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
EZShot
Corporal

Think Higby said that Esamir will be have urban areas, small ruins under snow perhaps?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault