Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's all about family.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-04, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
lol, aaaaalmost flirting with the necro line there
I try
Old 2012-06-04, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

My iterations of this idea are 8 years old. I think necro is long passed
Old 2012-06-05, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Talking Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

I bump it because it is the best thought out Idea on this forum at the current time. Your full description lacked nothing

Last edited by berzerkerking; 2012-06-05 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well I'm glad someone thinks so, I really believe that airships are the only way to add a naval aspect to the game without hurting the rest of it.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Talking Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

Originally Posted by VelRa View Post
Just no zebra-print colossus blocking out the sun, please.
What about a giant pony
Old 2012-06-06, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
rekefant
Private

Is this the time to admitt my nerd love for this idea?
OP really has it nailed down as my vision of the PS2 Blimp. I just hope actualy engaging enemy OACs are worth it so they dont turn into a instant win thing you drop on a hostile base, but stay clear of hostile OACs of equal or larger size.
As I see it a smal OAC cant kill a medium OAC in a straigth up fight no matter how skilled or not the crew really are(reasonable differences) and I like that. If done properly these would add strategicly to the game and PS2 reeks of strategic potential, lets use some of it.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

All things being equal, a smaller OAC could score a kill on a larger better equipped OAC, but it would have to be in coordination with a boarding team. But no, the kill wouldn't be handed over easily.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Ohanka
Private

Great Idea, better than the one i came up with, in my opinion

Last edited by Ohanka; 2012-06-09 at 12:41 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post
BF2142 did this with it's Titan matches.
^That.

Also I think this could be made to work maybe during certain event weeks or something, but to bring it in as part of the persistent game (even with resource and timelocks and all that -- unless you can only pull it once a week or less) it still draws focus away from the ground combat, and with air vehicles what they are the combat looks to be spread around pretty evenly so far. I would have actually liked this idea more for PS1 simply from the stupid corridor fighting and tower stalemates that happened (I know a lot of people enjoyed that stuff -- I didn't, just personal taste; to each his own) but PS2 (so far from the alpha highlights and the E3 demo) looks like they've got the combat more balanced and there won't be as much of the human wave thing going on in the hallways.

I've mentioned this in other threads (er, I guess, just one other thread at this point) but the massive-outfit-ship idea could DEFINITELY be implemented in space battles. I'll get off my soapbox on that for now, but just think of the possibilities that could bring -- it's not just people randomly grabbing reavers and mossies and flying against randomly spawned enemy empire ships; you could actually design and construct your OWN OUTFIT BATTLESHIP/CRUISER/FRIGATE/CARRIER/RAINBOW PONY1!!!!! Super excited </soapbox>
Old 2012-06-09, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
I've mentioned this in other threads (er, I guess, just one other thread at this point) but the massive-outfit-ship idea could DEFINITELY be implemented in space battles.
I think this is basically the issue with these ideas, they're trying to implement an entirely different style of game on top of the existing one, and the fit is awkward at best.

If we ever do get around to that space expansion though...
Old 2012-06-09, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I think this is basically the issue with these ideas, they're trying to implement an entirely different style of game on top of the existing one, and the fit is awkward at best.

If we ever do get around to that space expansion though...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomygawrsh want want want.

But yeah I agree it would be really messy to try to introduce such a huge game changer like this, even though the idea is pretty cool.
Old 2012-06-09, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

My opinion of space battles is much the same as water based naval suggestions... takes too much from the ground game of planetside... which is the bread and butter of the game. Now don't get me wrong, I'd kill to steer a battleship on the ocean or a battlestar in space, but to me... just doesn't seem like it would be more than JTL was to SWG... a completely different game within the game that has little to no interaction.

Airships are the answer, they both add to and change the dynamics of the main game, and even if every active outfit had an OAC at the same time, those outfits would still have to earn resources to keep them, which means they have to either use it... or participate in the primary game to earn the resources.

Basically, OACs as suggested in this thread would force more conflict, even when there are a few of them already. OAC kills could even provide a discount for operating an OAC for a day or so, to encourage OAC fights to the death.

Not everyone will have them, and even if you don't have them, you can still destroy them.

Even the there-are-too-many-OACs scenario is not all that bad:

Let's say that you have 30 outfits, each has 100 members. 10 per empire. All 30 have OACs and their outfit members spend 100% of their playtime on their OAC. Now you might think this is the ultimate result of OACs, but it isn't sustainable. Your outfit needs resources, so your empire brings the OACs to hunt down enemy OACs, OACs die and they don't just come back. So now you have say... 1500 players with no OACs to play with, so they play the ground game.

This is a constantly rotating circle, they cost a lot to buy, they cost a lot to keep, and they are only truly cost effective when being used as intended: to kill other OACs. If that doesn't keep them in balance, nothing will. Hell the scaling of cost might even promote TKing of OACs.

And when an OAC is not engaging another OAC, there is nothing else for that outfit to do except fight as they did before the OAC. If the OAC gets attacked, everyone spawns back to defend it.

I really don't see any significant downside to OACs, because even if one empire dominates the OAC numbers, they still have to spend resources on keeping them, and lose resources by losing hexes if they underperform on the ground battlefield.

OACs add ownership, a naval aspect, strategic variables, win conditions, a leaderboard over and above the individual player, and a hard earned status symbol. Make no mistake, these are not GGs, not BFRs, and not I Win Buttons.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Raka Maru
Major

Sobekeus, I like the OAC idea, but do you think they are eventually going for a space expansion?

I mean, other than alien planets... Like asteroid fields, space stations, modified space mosquitoes and other vehicles such as BSG style faction controlled ships?
Old 2012-06-09, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

No, I don't think so. More likely is that they add more planets to fight over. They might even be moons and such.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

This thread has some great Idea that should be added to the topic.
See here:http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...t=42403:cool2:

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault