The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2 - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Prefered by spammers everywhere.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-21, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Re: The Best Joysticks for Planetside 2

Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
It also depends on what you want to do as an airman. In terms of precision control (for example, CAS), it goes:
M&KB > Controller > Joystick

but in terms of maneuverability it goes:
Joystick > Controller > M&KB

So just pick what you think is best. Nothing really has a terrible advantage over another considering this isn't a flight sim.

And as for the topic, I use this sometimes:
Thrustmaster T16000. Excellent stick for around $30-40 and even has options for left handed gamers like me!
Yeah...YEAH!

I agree.

Last edited by OnexBigxHebrew; 2012-07-21 at 02:03 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
I think higby has this or something similar
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming...s/devices/5855

Personally i'll probably get
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming...ks/devices/291

As its cheap and easy to move outta the way.
I have the first one and love the Force Feedback.. I doubt that PS2 will support FFB but man that would be EPIC.

I have used the second one for a LONG time and it is a fantastic all around stick and VERY affordable, most places its like 25 bucks.

Originally Posted by Shizora View Post
I have the T.16000m. It is the most precise joystick i've ever had, and I had a lot... anyways, as a flight sim enthusiast I'll buy the Hotas Warthog soon =D
Im thinking thats gonna be a bit overkill for PS2 but for DCS A10 Ive heard it is the absolute BOMB.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Deleted

Last edited by TerminatorUK; 2012-07-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Something I would like to try with ps2 is tank driving with a joystick. I think i would split the controls so that the actual drivng and speed control is done with the joystick and turret operation would be done with the mouse.

To me this seems very intuitive since speed and mobility are going to be paramount to someone lasting more than a minute. You gain speed and mobility through the simplified operation of your joystick, push forward a little move forward slowly..pull back and go into reverse. Im just ljking the idea of having so much directional and speed control easily at hand all the time. Devs I really hope that this hybrid system is supported.
Old 2012-07-23, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Something I would like to try with ps2 is tank driving with a joystick. I think i would split the controls so that the actual drivng and speed control is done with the joystick and turret operation would be done with the mouse.

To me this seems very intuitive since speed and mobility are going to be paramount to someone lasting more than a minute. You gain speed and mobility through the simplified operation of your joystick, push forward a little move forward slowly..pull back and go into reverse. Im just ljking the idea of having so much directional and speed control easily at hand all the time. Devs I really hope that this hybrid system is supported.
Thats actually a pretty damn cool idea.

Old 2012-07-23, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Luieburger
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I did something similar for BF3. Since my joystick doesn't have Yaw, I used A and D on my keyboard instead. It helped to have one hand on the joystick and still have access to all the keys for other commands anyway. That's the beauty of Keyboard + Mouse and the Joystick. You can mix and match them. Controllers require two hands so you're limited (one hand on the controller is semi-awakward).
Old 2012-07-23, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Aerothorn
Private

The only downside with joysticks & ground vehicles is that you'll need to constantly move the joystick on your desk. When flying, you'll want your dominant hand on the joystick for aiming precision; when driving, you'll want your dominant hand on the mouse. Also, if your joystick is designed for right-hand usage, this isn't really doable.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Making my G13 comment again - the thumb stick comes in so handy at times like these.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

been looking into a joystick for PS2 since i am assuming the game's flight mechanics will be somewhat similar to BF3's flight mechanics, since it will have hover. my search has lead me to sign up on these forums in order to discuss the joysticks i've more or less limited my search to.
i've decided i will end up getting either :
the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick which runs about $35-$45

the Thrustmaster t-flight stick which runs about $25-$35

the logitech extreme 3d which runs around $20-$30

the Thrustmaster T-16000M Flight Stick which runs around $40-$50+

i'm leaning towards one of the first two, possibly the third, and the fourth, the t-16000 i've been hearing mixed reviews about, and not sure i want a $50 stick just for games like PS2 or BF3 and being a righty, the 12 buttons on the base is pointless as i can only get to 6 anyway
the first stick seems like it has a nice spread of buttons between each side and having an actual throttle (which can seperate a bit from the stick) along with the stick appeals to me while the other two just seem to have buttons laid out in a way i would most likely be able to comfortably use(not too crowded together).

was wondering whether or not anyone here who has or has had any of these or even all of them could give me a good why or why not advice on them as i've never used a joystick for games aside from oldschool arcade games.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Pepsi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
was wondering whether or not anyone here who has or has had any of these or even all of them could give me a good why or why not advice on them as i've never used a joystick for games aside from oldschool arcade games.
I have the T16000, mostly because I'm left handed and my options were pretty limited. If you're right handed, the extreme 3D Pro is great for arcade flight sims. The keywords you need to look for are "twist-action" (twisting the stick) and "POV hat" (the button your thumb sits at that you use for looking around the cockpit) switch. I also heard it was pretty reliable.

You won't go wrong choosing either of these, they are all solid sticks.
Old 2012-08-07, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

anyone with the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick able to tell me if the two buttons on the throttle that can replace the twist function can be programmed to other functions if using the twist feature, or do they always just control the yaw in addition to the twist fuction?
Old 2012-08-12, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Could the XBOX 360 c0ntroler be used as a joystick?
Old 2012-08-12, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marinealver View Post
Could the XBOX 360 c0ntroler be used as a joystick?
i would think so, but who knows.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
JoCool
Corporal

I may add that you can achieve the same accuracy with a Joystick as you can with a mouse, provided that the Joystick has the fitting resistance and you spend the same amount of time on it.

How long have you been at home computers? Imagine you switched the entire lifetime you used a mouse to using a joystick, also for browsing, et cetera.

Take a look at someone who uses the mouse for the first time in his life.

That said, for those people who are and have been regularly using joysticks during the last years, it might be the better choice due to the rapid 180° turn with precision in directions you can achieve with a Joystick. For mouse users, it is better to use the mouses.

Freedom of choice is what counts.
Old 2014-10-26, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
lonereaver
Private

Oldie but goodie post. I visited my parents' house over the weekend and then found this bad boy...

"NOW USB COMPATIBLE" !! Welcome to the future.

15 years old and still solid!

I'm still a noob at piloting with KBM, and now I suck even more with this change in peripheral... but am totally enjoying the experience! I now spend an hour or two in VR to fly, and then try to farm points using my Engi before I log off...

Cheers to other pilots!

Last edited by lonereaver; 2014-10-26 at 09:26 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion