Gameplay: MAX Melee Arm (Sacrifice a gun for better melee) - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Guns, lots of guns.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-13, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Re: MAX Melee Arm (Sacrifice a gun for better melee)

I honestly wouldnt mind MAXs being able to 1-shot infantry with their Melee. A MAX is slow, large and easy to see coming, if you happen to be dumb enough to get into melee range of a mechanized exosuit, you deserve to get splattered. Maybe Rexos could survive a single blow, but anything less is just meat.
Old 2012-07-13, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Dalmaska
Private

Misc Info

this kinda reminds me of Optimus Prime vs Megatron
Old 2012-07-13, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Zekeen
Major

I find it utterly remarkable how much support this idea receives and how easy it is to change the occupation. Even with what negative comments the idea has received, I was expecting a much more hostile and less intelligible response.

I guess more people want to bash in a head with a much larger melee weapon than those who seem to be traumatized from random mecha games.
Old 2012-07-13, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
MorioMortis
Corporal

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
I guess more people want to bash in a head with a much larger melee weapon than those who seem to be traumatized from random mecha games.
It's probably because to many, melee weapons, if suitably balanced (unlike say, the CoD third arm insta-knife of teleportation), are the most satisfying weapons to use because you won when you brought a knife to a gun fight.

The fact that a lot of us know how up close and personal most MAX crashes ended up being in PS1 probably also helps, seeing as a melee weapon would have been useful at least a few times (and avoided a few friendly fire incidents due to overzealous use of scattercannons and/or pounders). Also, crushing those annoying Vanus...
Old 2012-08-09, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
JatNC
Private

Vanu get lazer sword. NC get a drill arm. and the TR get ummmmm how about ummmmm......... a chainsaw (idk what these guys would use)

It should be a different melee for all of the factions though
Old 2012-08-12, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Metalsheep View Post
I honestly wouldnt mind MAXs being able to 1-shot infantry with their Melee. A MAX is slow, large and easy to see coming, if you happen to be dumb enough to get into melee range of a mechanized exosuit, you deserve to get splattered. Maybe Rexos could survive a single blow, but anything less is just meat.
Reminds me of the SplatterMAX.

I think Melee has essentially been covered with flamethrowers.
The animations involved with adding melee along with everything else are probably too much effort to satiate too small a collection of potential users.

I agree it would be cool though.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2012-08-12 at 04:14 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
Reminds me of the SplatterMAX.

I think Melee has essentially been covered with flamethrowers.
The animations involved with adding melee along with everything else are probably too much effort to satiate too small a collection of potential users.

I agree it would be cool though.
Eh, if they already have an animation that is just a swing or a "slug" (A slow, unwieldy punch) just toss a weapon on the arm to the side of the fist and it fits perfectly well. No need for a new animation.

Also, flamethrowers fulfill another role entirely. Chances are they don't do much damage up front, so actually doubling a flamethrower (For shock and damage over time) with a melee weapon (For massive damage spike) would be an awesome combo.

VS- Energy blade (Duh)

TR- Massive serrated knife

NC- Pilebunker (purposed jackhammer type machine, it functions like a pneumatic spear)
Old 2012-08-13, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
dustin
Private

Thumbs up Re: MAX Melee Arm (Sacrifice a gun for better melee)

im no into giving up a gun for a meel but ill give up a gun for a sheeld with a good meele/ harpoon grapling huk
Old 2012-08-15, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Azarga
Corporal

I think this is a great idea.
With this amount of possible effects for melee max weapons it will not be too hard to balance them around sidegrades.
Like Bladed weapons deal massive damage to infantry, but are nearly useless against something with some armour and the like. Just don't put too much stagger in it - losing control of your character is garbage and unfun - add some visual distortion, camera shaking, movement penalties instead.

And giving up ranged weapon for possibly LESS powerful MELEE weapon will not make MAXes OP, but weaker if used wrong. But some people (I am one of the) will still sometimes pick it because there is nothing like killing your foe with a knife during a gunfight.
Old 2012-08-15, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

i like your ideas, so long as they dont make the MAX a broken unit where everone is just running around meleeing. and as stated, if done right, any soldier should be able to outrun a MAX, lighter units easier than HA units; however, we dont know if they are making all infantry run the same speed or not.
Old 2012-08-15, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Moshyy
Private

You could be THIS guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

...which is far too epic.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault