Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The +10 in my screen isn't 10 points for a kill?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-01-04, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Romeo
Private

Re: Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition!

Signed, would def like to see more TR besides myself, Veloce, Wonder, Henry and Shutdown. And just overall more people
Old 2013-01-11, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Emailed Smed once the petition hit 200 sigs:

"The PS1 petition has reached 200 signatures. Could we get an official statement on what your plans are with it? Lot's of people itching to play the original. Thanks a lot!

http://www.change.org/petitions/sony-online-entertainment-planetside-1-free-to-play-or-return-reserves-w-5-monthly-charge-2#share"

Smed: "We’re going to make it F2p. It’s going to take meaningful work we don’t have time for any time soon. Until we have time for it nothing is changing. This is 3-6 months most likely.

If that petition had 200,000 signatures this would be a different story. The blunt truth is after PS2 released PS1 doesn’t have many players. We love the game and we are committed to making it F2P."

So basically it's never going to happen

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-01-11, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

It'll happen as soon as they figure out what you'll (we'll) buy for real currency. It's not setup like PS2 where weapons and resources are easy ones to charge for.

They'll probably choose something like each BR takes a certain amount of Station Cash to take effect and you get your cert points. You pay not to play, but to level and get your certs. For example, someone can only play to BR6 for free, then it costs a buck or something like that each subsequent level, or 2 at higher levels. Say the "free" content will get you the ability to get the final cert of any track. Advanced Hack, Assault Engi, etc, but you can only specialize in one unless you pay up.

In order to specialize in multiple cert paths you gotta pay. You get to BR6 max exp and then exp gain is cut real low like 1/4 so you don't lose everything by not paying to level, but it really makes it hard, exponentially hard with each higher BR you cross into. 1/4 gain for 1 level up, 1/8 gain for 2 levels, etc until they see $$. Gives you incentive to pay upon hitting the next level so you can avoid the exp gain penalty.
Old 2013-01-11, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by kubacheski View Post
It'll happen as soon as they figure out what you'll (we'll) buy for real currency. It's not setup like PS2 where weapons and resources are easy ones to charge for.

They'll probably choose something like each BR takes a certain amount of Station Cash to take effect and you get your cert points. You pay not to play, but to level and get your certs. For example, someone can only play to BR6 for free, then it costs a buck or something like that each subsequent level, or 2 at higher levels. Say the "free" content will get you the ability to get the final cert of any track. Advanced Hack, Assault Engi, etc, but you can only specialize in one unless you pay up.

In order to specialize in multiple cert paths you gotta pay. You get to BR6 max exp and then exp gain is cut real low like 1/4 so you don't lose everything by not paying to level, but it really makes it hard, exponentially hard with each higher BR you cross into. 1/4 gain for 1 level up, 1/8 gain for 2 levels, etc until they see $$. Gives you incentive to pay upon hitting the next level so you can avoid the exp gain penalty.
I would hate for them to ruin what little is left of PS1 with some horribly implemented cash shop that would not at all be appropriate to the game. Personally, I'm in favor of lower monthly subscription cost.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-01-11, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Raka Maru
Major

/signed

If they can give Christmas hats, they can make a cosmetic store in PS1.
Old 2013-01-12, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

It'll be free to play before June. Check Smedly's twitter.

Rejoice everyone. This is great news.
Old 2013-01-12, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Rockit
Banned

Originally Posted by CrazEpharmacist View Post
It'll be free to play before June. Check Smedly's twitter.

Rejoice everyone. This is great news.
Saw it but are you new to SOE games? Could be June 2015 and probably is.
Good news is though since it will take a while may indicate it will get the PS:Next updates or at least maybe some form of engine update.

Last edited by Rockit; 2013-01-12 at 07:24 PM.
Old 2013-01-12, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Never ever make anything of a deadline given by SOE, especially Smedley....ever.

It's just a date thrown out to shut people up, it doesn't actually mean anything.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-01-12, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Micro
Sergeant Major

Yea even though they've said it already...
Signed.

Sent from my mobile...
Old 2013-01-15, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
ubermenchen
Private

Originally Posted by basti View Post
"The $15 monthly charge is currently barring many of us from doing that. We feel the charge is not justified for an almost ten year old game."

And this is exactly the reason why it should be shut down, once and for all.

There is no money to be made with PS1 in its current state. The game would need a lot of work to fix the engine up to work well with newer systems, and also deal with the cheater problem we had for years.

There is no quick way to do that. It would require a lot of work. More work means more cash needed, means you need more players. But the players dont want to pay it seems, heck they dont want to pay 15 bucks a month.

On top of that: Did any of you guys ever think about HOW to make PS1 F2P? How to monetize it? What to sell?

Planetside is dead. It died the day we abadoned it. To ressurect it, online petitions wont help. You have to vote with your wallet, resubscribe to it, and play it. Thats the only way to tell Smed that PS1 is still alive, and needs some attention.
I wont be there tho. PS1 is superior to Planetside 2 in its Metagame, but that will change in the future.
On the other hand if ppl are playing ps1 they are playing a SONY game and not someone elses. Options for sony as a business to keep customers in the house.
Old 2013-01-15, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
ubermenchen
Private

signed
Old 2013-01-16, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
Never ever make anything of a deadline given by SOE, especially Smedley....ever.

It's just a date thrown out to shut people up, it doesn't actually mean anything.
Pretty much this.

Also, June rhymes with Soon™.
Old 2013-01-20, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Atheosim
Captain

Smed doesn't run a fucking charity. People pay for it or it doesn't exist. They're going to need a good while to figure out how to monetize it, then figure out how to implement it. It's an old engine. It's not going to be fast. Give up hope now and your pleasure IF it does come will be tenfold.
Old 2013-01-20, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Smed doesn't run a fucking charity. People pay for it or it doesn't exist. They're going to need a good while to figure out how to monetize it, then figure out how to implement it. It's an old engine. It's not going to be fast. Give up hope now and your pleasure IF it does come will be tenfold.
Or they skip that long arduous process and lower the subscription fee to $5 and call it a day.

Any attempt to implement a cash shop within PS1 is going to be disastrous. I'd really like it if they just left the game completely alone since they've proven time and time again they incapable of implementing anything without severely fucking it up.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-01-21, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I'm still convinced a monthly fee of whatever amount would be the end. Imho, F2P or bust

(An indefinite trial with br-limit would maybe work as a compromise though - as i said several times, just put the reserve program back on, quick fix for everyone and with the lowered entrance barrier they would get some more reliable data when they make up their mind about ps1 the next weeks/months).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion