Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of stupid quotes!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-19, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
Kran De Loy
Captain

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Ok guys we are nearing the point where I might have to lock this. If we can't have a constructive discussion on the topic there is no point in continuing.
I would argue that there was nothing constructive about this title from the op and on.
Unfortunately, BFR threads are like the heads of the Hydra.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
I would argue that there was nothing constructive about this title from the op and on.
It's been a while since we established people are more in favour of lighter mechs than the BFR super-tanks. We also established possible roles for them. Not entirely unconstructive imo.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #273
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
It's been a while since we established people are more in favour of lighter mechs than the BFR super-tanks. We also established possible roles for them. Not entirely unconstructive imo.
True, but there will be no mecha in the game. Anything slightly resembling a BFR will make a huge outcry so I'd say there is very little chance they'd even consider it. Which brings back to my statement that nothing has been constructive.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #274
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

No. Not assemble things. Assemble floating tanks. Assemble people, back to life
I'm noticing that both of your examples of things that are not assembly include assembly.

You seem to be trying to pick on what happens to the objects in question after they're assembled. That doesn't make much sense though. I'm sure the military would get cracking on those floating tanks the minute they thought it would work, and resuscitation is something that we do on a semi-constant basis now.

Expensive? Really? Do you watch films going "I can't believe this. Their government wouldn't allow them to blow that up, the collateral would be too expensive"?
I would certainly expect them to be dressed down if "not blowing that up" was something they were expected to know. The common term for this sort of thing is "plot hole".

Impractical? So what? It's a game. I refuse to believe you can see corpses being brought to life, troops surviving rocket launchers to the face and tank drivers teleporting in and out of their vehicles, but a cockpit with legs is just a stretch too far.
"It's a game" is not an excuse to stop caring about the coherency of your setting. If we can't afford vehicle entry animations then I see no reason to be spending extra on things that will cause the overall experience to make less sense.

On the implausibility scale, resurrection places a hell of a lot higher than a primitive mech. That's the point.
Then your point is irrelevant and unlikely. Unless you're suggesting that "Two pneumatic legs and a cockpit" is a cheaper method of producing a clone army of immortal soldiers then the motivations and methods involved are completely unrelated, and whether one is more difficult than the other doesn't matter. Can I look forward to your future post on why resuscitation of a patient is more technically difficult than creating battlefield capable mechs based on compressed gas?
Old 2012-03-19, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #275
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Well Hamma, at the risk of getting a temp ban, this wasn't a constructive topic to begin with. The PS2 game developers have said that BFR's won't be in game, so any arguing otherwise will just be falling, thankfully, on deaf ears.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #276
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Can I look forward to your future post on why resuscitation of a patient is more technically difficult than creating battlefield capable mechs based on compressed gas?
Are you just trolling me at this point?

Not resuscitation. Resurrection. Jesus christ from the tomb, phoenix from the ashes, Eric out the grave, resurrection.

...and don't get me started on wormhole transportation.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #277
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Which do you want?

No BFR's

No Region Lock

Smed said neither BFR's or a region lock are going to happen. But truth be told, they could both happen, or none could happen.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #278
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

The problem with BFR's were a mistake that seems to be being repeated with MBT in PS2.

That a single individual can command so much power.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-19, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #279
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Ok guys we are nearing the point where I might have to lock this. If we can't have a constructive discussion on the topic there is no point in continuing.
Doesn't this happen with every BFR/Mech thread?

Asking for BFRs or anything that resembles them (i.e. Mechs) is like asking to for a shrine to the 9/11 suicide bombers on Ground Zero. It ain't gonna result in anything good.

BFRs had a profoundly negative effect on many PS vets, anytime this comes up it ain't gonna be pretty. Yet some people keep bringing it up, unsatisfied with the answer 'no mechs' prompting the passionate players who watched such things destroy their most beloved game to bust out the pitchforks and torches. BFR and anything that resembles them will always be a radioactive topic here that will never result in good discussion.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #280
Skittles
Sergeant

Awesome thread = awesome
Old 2012-03-19, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
BFRs had a profoundly negative effect on many PS vets, anytime this comes up it ain't gonna be pretty. Yet some people keep bringing it up, unsatisfied with the answer 'no mechs' prompting the passionate players who watched such things destroy their most beloved game to bust out the pitchforks and torches. BFR and anything that resembles them will always be a radioactive topic here that will never result in good discussion.
They'll get over it. The vocal minority on this forum is rather small and the amount of veterans that actually cared about BFRs is less than 100. If anything this thread has shown that there is only around 30 people on this forum vocally against Mechs while others are more indifferent to a balanced implementation.

This conversation will only get more positive as the veterans realize how silly their complaints are regarding an implementation in the previous game and new players come to the table with a fresh outlook that isn't blinded.

We actually had a good discussion if you read past the trolls. I tend to just ignore them.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-19, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
If anything this thread has shown that there is only around 30 people on this forum vocally against Mechs while others are more indifferent to a balanced implementation.
Are you trying to imply that the poeple who dislike BFRs are a vocal minority?

Seriously?

Edit for politeness.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-03-19 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #283
Aurmanite
Captain

Less than 100 people cared about BFR's?

That is some crazy asstalk right there.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #284
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Are you trying to imply that the poeple who dislike BFRs are a vocal minority?
No. I'm saying those that posted to remove them were a minority. Most people hated their initial implementation since it didn't live up to what the developers had thought. There was actually reasonable people posting that were more apt to suggest quick balance changes noticing the numbers behind the scene were the bigger problem than the graphics.

It's those kinds of arguments that I prefer seeing. Then again this community does have a tendency to go for the throw things out approach over the balance approach. I remember threads asking to remove the jackhammer because it was viewed as "impossible to balance". In other games you'd see people calling for simple number changes or nerfs and buffs as solutions.

You seem to be hiding behind your hatred of mechs in order to justify that the chassis is impossible to balance in a video game. It's a sad realization you haven't come to accept. Or you have accepted and continue to troll this community with your asinine platitudes toward other mech haters.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-19, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #285
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I don't hate mechs, they're cool. Unfortuantely coolness is not a good reason to add something to a game. They also serve no real purpose that existing vehicles arne't suited.

Did you actually ever play Planetside both before and after BFRs?

Poeple were kinda sketchy about it from the beginning, wondering why these new things were being injected into the game.

And then they utterly destroyed the game. And balance of them wasn't even the root issue. They added something to the game that made no sense and had no purpose and disrupted the great balance that the game had before.

They aren't needed and serve no practical function. They only reason you people want them is becuase they're cool.

We saw that a poor mech implementation ruined a game and we still have no compelling reason to add them. That makes them an unnecessary risk and liability to PS2. By continually bringing it up every chance you get you only piss people off.

It doesn't matter if there might be a way to add them in a balanced way - it still doesn't change the fact that they serve no practical purpose and are otherwise a liability. It ain't worth it.