Lancer: - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If your reading this you come here to much
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-04-04, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Assist
Contributor
Major

Lancer:

What do you all think now that we've had some time with it? I feel it's great at range, just like I did before. I think it's just like the other ESRLs in that it's not that effective by itself, but it's very effective with another damage source. Really the way most of the game should be, IMO!

The only complaint I have is how awful it is against close range targets. Charging up is just not viable in a lot of cases. Given how inaccurate it is without using the iron sights, and how charging up the Lancer isn't viable sometimes, I would like to see a damage increase when not ADS without charging it. I think straight buffing the damage @ 1 charge would be a bit too much, as it's somewhat effective at 1 charge when you're ADS at an aircraft. But if you somehow could buff the damage only when not ADS, then that would be reasonable with the huge cone of fire it has not ADS.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
WSNeo
Master Sergeant

Re: Lancer:

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I agree with the close quarters weakness, though I'm fine with this downside. My only complaints are the lower amount of ammo you can hold (In PS1 I always had 36 shots worth of ammo on me, so that's probably my fault :P) and the damage fall off at a distance I don't really think was needed given the previously mentioned reason, the beacon of light that it leaves behind, and lack of a zoom option (Which really hurts for a long range weapon to not have).

Otherwise I've enjoy it so far

Old 2013-04-04, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Obstruction
First Sergeant

buff would be nice but i like it. i pretty much just use it as a rapid fire laser cannon. it works sortof like burster max did back when they could damage tanks. not great damage solo but a great deterrent. and its fast enough dealing its damage that you can be the last bit of DPS needed to overwhelm repairs or just snipe the last hits in a tank v tank.

edit: WSneo go to VR and try out the heavy assault ammo pouch. i know you have to give up flak or whatever and that is metagame poor strategy BUT. try it. you don't just get 3 more rockets you get 18 rounds.

Last edited by Obstruction; 2013-04-04 at 08:26 AM.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Ohoh! You should have seen Quantum Dawn simply wrecking prowlers/Lightnings/AMSs at Howling Pass last night. I think that is when the Lancer's utility really came to light for us. Of course, we were prepared for the attack, and grouped up our Lancers, and that's probably why it worked so well. We ACTUALLY pushed back, because only TR softies were left.

But yeah, that was only using about 150-200 meters of it's range. It can go up to 500! Start predicting some attacks, and let the Lancer do all the work.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
edit: WSneo go to VR and try out the heavy assault ammo pouch. i know you have to give up flak or whatever and that is metagame poor strategy BUT. try it. you don't just get 3 more rockets you get 18 rounds.
That's if they've fixed it yet My ammo pouch didn't give me anything extra yesterday.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Ohoh! You should have seen Quantum Dawn simply wrecking prowlers/Lightnings/AMSs at Howling Pass last night. I think that is when the Lancer's utility really came to light for us. Of course, we were prepared for the attack, and grouped up our Lancers, and that's probably why it worked so well. We ACTUALLY pushed back, because only TR softies were left.

But yeah, that was only using about 150-200 meters of it's range. It can go up to 500! Start predicting some attacks, and let the Lancer do all the work.
I agree, it's great in those situations. But I'm talking when you're at a base and a lightning comes up near you. You have the jump on him as he doesn't see you, but you know if you charge a full shot he'll be moved out of sight. So instead you do the quick 6 shots no-charge, only to realize you did 20% damage to him. Then you proceed to attempt to run away from his shells wondering if he's laughing at you for attempting to kill his tank with a pea shooter :P
I figured for a gun with regular 1x zoom iron sights, damage drop off at long range, and a giant beam that says kill me, it should be more effective short range. I guess I'm asking for a bit much though.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-04-04 at 08:57 AM.
Old 2013-04-04, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dragonskin
Major

If it makes you feel better it's hard to lock on things within 30m with a Striker and in the 10-5m ballpark it's impossible because it simply won't even show it's attempting to lock.
Old 2013-04-04, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
zirakaji
Private

All lancer need right now is some sort of zooming option.
And damage buff to esf, its freaking hard to score a hit on a esf, only if a pilot is a hovering slowpoke.
Old 2013-04-04, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I have warmed to it. It's good fun at range.

But I think it sacrifices too much for the range. What I'd do:
With two full charges it should at least do enough damage to put an ESF into failure-mode.
You should be able to shoot down a lib within a full standard ammo load out. (That is, 8 fully charged shots should kill a liberator)
Single shots should be bumped up in damage 5-10%. Perhaps change up the falloff on them to ensure it's a shorter range option.

If we start talking about some optics options, that last one is certifiably negotiable.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2013-04-04 at 11:26 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion