Battle rifles (they do exist) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A drug against war
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-11-17, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Minor
Corporal

Battle rifles (they do exist)

Hi,

Not sure if everyone has noticed, Hamma hasn't.

During PS2 beta in the certification pages for each class, a mysterious battle rifle appeared in the Engineer page and the Heavy assault page.

For TR, it was the Battle rifle AM-66. You could open the drop down menu and see the sidegrades such as compensator or forward grip. It cost 725 certs and I am pretty sure no one was able to purchase it before beta end.

If you checked the infantry weapons marketplace however, this particular weapon was not there. No stats on what it does, looks, or compares.

If anyone has been able to cert an actual battle rifle (NOT A SCOUT RIFLE), please let us know about it. It is probably the only untested weapon in the game.

Old 2012-11-17, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ritual
Banned

Re: Battle rifles (they do exist)

Whisenhunt one of the combat designers was playing with one on Twitch yesterday.

The TR one was a 3 shot burst I think. Looked to be a little less then a sniper rifle in range but with semi automatic fire rate. Much lower damage compared to a bolt action per shot. Cone of fire was super tight, recoil minimal. It took like 3 or 4 bursts to kill someone which seemed like an eternity watching it on stream, and headshots probably took two bursts. It seemed to be a balance of medium and long range.

Whisenhunt was not owning with it because he kept finding himself in close range encounters, but he did manage to kill quite a few people who were coming down a hill at a distance that looked like the enemies could not respond to because they had less accurate weapons. Most weapons except maybe the sniper would definatly get eaten up by one from medium-long range distance if they werent careful.

He only used it for maybe 10-20 minutes and didn't really talk about it, he just showed us because I asked.

He also showed a scout rifle which I had never seen before.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Ritual; 2012-11-17 at 09:52 PM.
Old 2012-11-17, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Minor
Corporal

It does very much! Thank you! -> you have just saved me 7$ Would you like a coffee?

So in other words, instead of wasting my time with a battle rifle, I will stick with alpha squad unlocked weapons such as the LMG T-50 on the heavy assault and NOT waste any smedbucks on a weapon that isn't worth it. I don't like burst limited weapons.

Thanks!
Old 2012-11-17, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Conq
Staff Sergeant

Well it's pretty cool that they tossed this to Engineers as well. Now they need to give Light Assault another type of gun.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-11-17, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
Whisenhunt one of the combat designers was playing with one on Twitch yesterday.

The TR one was a 3 shot burst I think. Looked to be a little less then a sniper rifle in range but with semi automatic fire rate. Much lower damage compared to a bolt action per shot. Cone of fire was super tight, recoil minimal. It took like 3 or 4 bursts to kill someone which seemed like an eternity watching it on stream, and headshots probably took two bursts. It seemed to be a balance of medium and long range.

Whisenhunt was not owning with it because he kept finding himself in close range encounters, but he did manage to kill quite a few people who were coming down a hill at a distance that looked like the enemies could not respond to because they had less accurate weapons. Most weapons except maybe the sniper would definatly get eaten up by one from medium-long range distance if they werent careful.

He only used it for maybe 10-20 minutes and didn't really talk about it, he just showed us because I asked.

Hope that helps.
The TR is actually single shot with a 20 round magazine (or was on Thursday). I was poking around our internal test server for something and couldn't help playing around with it. That isn't to say it couldn't be completely different once it goes live.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BigpermCML
Private

Originally Posted by Conq View Post
Well it's pretty cool that they tossed this to Engineers as well. Now they need to give Light Assault another type of gun.
Hear that. Very surprised they would give Engi's another rifle before LA.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Minor
Corporal

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
The TR is actually single shot with a 20 round magazine (or was on Thursday). I was poking around our internal test server for something and couldn't help playing around with it. That isn't to say it couldn't be completely different once it goes live.
Hmm that sounds neat cus I like to snipe but can't stand the infiltrator cloak. I would instantly go Light assault if they had it. Wouldnt mind walking around with an Emperer high powered pistol as an alternate.

Last edited by Minor; 2012-11-17 at 10:23 PM.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ritual
Banned

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Thanks it was hard to tell.

The tracer flying through the air looked like multiple bullets. That's why I thought it was a 3 shot burst. But if it only has a 20 shot magazine then it most likely is a single shot.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I certed one on a Vanu alt just to try it.

Its a single shot - reasonable accurate.
It can be equiped by the engineers and, heavy assault and i think medic.

If you want to pretend to be a sniper with a different class its your gun - but honestly if your trying to snipe with those classes you are doing it wrong.

The only class they would be good for is the light assault - and light assault is the class that cant equip it.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Conq
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Minor View Post
I would instantly go Light assault if they had it. Wouldnt mind walking around with an Emperer high powered pistol as an alternate.
Was just thinking this myself, I'm a career Light Assault but I've been frustrated with the lack of range ever since they nerfed the AMC. Rocking out a Battle Rifle and my Pistol sounds fun.

I guess the devs are worried about roof top campers but it's an unrealistic concern because bolt drivers make quick work of anyone that stands out. I have to spend most of my time on the ground to keep my head.

Last edited by Conq; 2012-11-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 2012-11-18, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I was watching the Friday Night Ops when Jimmy was playing around with the TR battle rifle. The projectile speed on it did seem awfully slow. It looked like it was lobbing bullets at mid range. Other than that it looks pretty nice. Definately something I'll probably get for both Engie and HA.
Old 2012-11-18, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Minor
Corporal

I would think the battle rifle be a good idea for an AMS runner.

Equipping an AA launcher with the battle rifle would allow him to step out of the bus when a sniper is around and counter snipe, or take a whack at the seagulls..

The battle rifle side grades include compensator, grip, and x2 reflex sight.

I know sniper rifles when lucky can kill very fast at blanc range. Suppose a heavy assault was skilled enough to walk around with shield resist and a sniper rifle (using reflex instead of x8) able to headshot you 5m away no problem?
Old 2012-11-18, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rifleman
Private

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE-ObpYrf6E

I recorded a video of Battle Rifle in the final day of beta. It is a 20 rounds rifle that has poor accurate on mid-range, but has decent ROF.

Last edited by Rifleman; 2012-11-18 at 03:10 AM.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I wish Light Assault would get a good long range rifle.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Naithe
Private

Originally Posted by Ritual View Post

Hope that helps.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about the medic SABR rifle? only TR rifle that comes to mind for me when I read about this.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion