Release = Optimized? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: More nerds than you can shake a stick at!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-11-18, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
BlueSmiley
Private

Release = Optimized?

Sup dawgs,

I didn't notice any performance increases the last few patches and i'm tired of playing this game with 20 ~ 30 FPS and getting killed all the time just because I can't aim for p00 with these poor framerates.
I do understand that it was a beta, BUT, since the game is releasing, do they have a build with decent optimisations ready or so?

I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T and a Zotac Geforce GTX 670 AMP! Edition, so I should be able to run the game on medium easily. I play games like BF3 and Crysis 2 on ultra without any problems. I know those games ain't CPU-bound, but seriously... This ain't cool.
Old 2012-11-18, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tycho
Private

I'm running the game on high settings with upwards of 75 fps. I have an intel i7 3.4ghz, galaxy GeForce 670 gtx, and 16 gigs of ram. I get 50 fps if its a large battle.
Old 2012-11-18, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Release = Optimized?

So does this just mean the game still runs shit on AMD for certain people? Personally i have a Intel 3930k 3.2Ghz 6 cores (12 hyper-threaded), OC'ed to 4.2Ghz and normally stay around 100 fps. 50 when frapsing, so cant say i notice any optimisations .
Old 2012-11-18, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ArchangeI
Corporal

x6 1090t 32gb:s RAM 5800 ati card.
Running at 50fps on Everything maxed

Sent from Tapatalk
Old 2012-11-18, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
BlueSmiley
Private

Originally Posted by ArchangeI View Post
x6 1090t 32gb:s RAM 5800 ati card.
Running at 50fps on Everything maxed

Sent from Tapatalk
Weird. I don't have any problems with other games at all though.
Old 2012-11-18, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SlotJockey
Private

Have you upgraded the Nvidia Drivers? the beta drivers that is and see if that did anything different?
I tested various Vid Cards in beta on different platforms....
As seeing any noticble gain, I truly had a better performance using Virtu MVP. I'm still not convinced that DX is fully optimized.
Perhaps the issues with Framerates could be due to the possible debug parameters that were being used through various times in beta.

There is a slight memory leak that was detected while using the Nvidia card on one run, however the server was patched and I couldn't re-create the oddity.

Also, I strongly believe after launch we will see new official drivers being rolled out with both AMD and Nvidia.... that could be the one common denominator causing all these issues that some people are bringing up.
Old 2012-11-18, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
BlueSmiley
Private

Originally Posted by SlotJockey View Post
Have you upgraded the Nvidia Drivers? the beta drivers that is and see if that did anything different?
I always download the latest drivers. I'm using the new beta drivers at the moment. I did not see anything different after installing them.
Believe me, I tried everything. I've updated my realtek and BIOS drivers, tried multiple GPU drivers, closed all the background programs, edited the useroptions.ini file for dozens of times, et cetera. Nothing helped. =/
Old 2012-11-18, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Jaybonaut
First Sergeant

Helps to repost this sometimes:

Current Recommended System
Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 15 GB free
Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Old 2012-11-18, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
BlueSmiley
Private

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post

Processor: Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 15 GB free
Video Memory: 1,024 MB RAM
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
I have 8GB. Windows uses 2Gb though.
Do you mean I should have 8 for the game itself?
Old 2012-11-18, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SlotJockey
Private

Originally Posted by BlueSmiley View Post
I always download the latest drivers. I'm using the new beta drivers at the moment. I did not see anything different after installing them.
Believe me, I tried everything. I've updated my realtek and BIOS drivers, tried multiple GPU drivers, closed all the background programs, edited the useroptions.ini file for dozens of times, et cetera. Nothing helped. =/
Now I'm curious to what could be the issue, with your listed setup you should be holding decent FPS regardless....

What resolution did you play on?

If you have nothing to do, you could always Benchmark your video and actually see what your baseline is.
Atleast then you can see if perhaps the card itself is degrading. Since there is no beta or anything else out there that uses ForgeLight.

Sounds very suspicious of a Bottleneck issue.
Something is not playing nice with the other bytes on the block so to speak....
Old 2012-11-18, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post

I wish whoever is posting the system requirements knew what nVidia's naming convention was.

Who here thinks a $40 GT 610 video card is going to run PS2?
Old 2012-11-18, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
IHateMMOs
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Last time I played it, it had decent optimization, no doubt it will be much better after launch.
Old 2012-11-18, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
TheStigma
Corporal

Originally Posted by BlueSmiley View Post
I have 8GB. Windows uses 2Gb though.
Do you mean I should have 8 for the game itself?
No. The game client only has 32bit support - so by definition it can only use a maximum of 4GB of addressed memory for the game. Actually I don't think it even uses Large Address Awareness (at least by default although that could possibly be enabled manually) because I don't think I've seen the game push above 2GB. This is fairly normal by the way since most games easily fit within 2GB of memory.

So no - I would interpret that 8GB as that you should reserve up to 4GB for the game to function optimally, and your OS and other stuff in the background use a little memory too so they just say 8 since that is the next normal step after 8. If they said 5GB that would just confuse people since no computer actually sells with (exactly) 5GB of memory.

Realistically from what I have seen out of ACTUAL memory-usage when playing it doesn't go above 2GB though, so unless they are going to expand memory-usage later in development and planned for that in the recommended specs (which is possible I suppose) then you could easily get away with 4GB to run the game as it is. 2GB to run the game, and 2GB more to easily take care of the OS and various background tasks - with probably nearly a gig to spare in fact...

-Stigma
Old 2012-11-18, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheStigma
Corporal

From a patch almost a week ago or so I got a fairly substancial framerate increase - large enough to easily notice just from playing normally. Patches after that haven't seemed to touch the performance any. I'm completely CPU bound just to be clear (even with a 2500K @ 4,2Ghz).

I doubt you will see huge performace increases at launch. Maybe another step up from what we had at beta end if we are lucky... but most likely the performance issues will be something that they will have to keep working on for a long time. I don't think any miracle-patch is going to come for this realistically - and unfortunately I think that is going to reduce the amount of people who can play with game simply due to having too poor performance. Having such poor scalability is very much not a good thing for a F2P model that needs a huge audience to succeed. I'm crossing my fingers...

-Stigma
Old 2012-11-18, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
BlueSmiley
Private

Originally Posted by SlotJockey View Post
1. Now I'm curious to what could be the issue, with your listed setup you should be holding decent FPS regardless....

2. What resolution did you play on?

3. Sounds very suspicious of a Bottleneck issue.
1. Yeah, I should.

2. I'm using 1920x1080

3. Uhuh. A few guys told me this GPU wouldn't do anything wrong to my CPU though.

PS: I tried benchmarking it with PCMark, but I got errors and I couldn't benchmark anything.

Originally Posted by TheStigma View Post
No. The game client only has 32bit support - so by definition it can only use a maximum of 4GB of addressed memory for the game. Actually I don't think it even...
Thanks for the explanation!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion