Release = Optimized? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where "forums" is just slang for a day care center
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-11-18, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Knocky
Major

Re: Release = Optimized?

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
http://www.hwcompare.com/8368/geforc...adeon-hd-6870/

Using the strongest 460. My 6870 should be able to do what your does much better, and still, I only reach constant 60~70 at the warpgate. At heavy battles I reach 30 fps. Must be the nVidia Slavery =/

Dont worry about it too much. The Devs have 3 days to accidentally leave out some miniscule line of code that will have our machines running at 5 FPS on the 20th.
Old 2012-11-18, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
AThreatToYou
Major

If 20-30 FPS is unplayable for you, then your standards are too high...
Old 2012-11-18, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
I'm not saying its unplayable. But in a FPS game, where twich movements and defacto skill (not saying I'm uber skilled) is needed, 60 FPS contribute much more the 30 fps. Doesn't seem so, but once you see the difference you start to understand.

The problem here is the powerhog needed to run a game such as planetside.
Old 2012-11-19, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
BlueSmiley
Private

Since I probably won't be able to play this game with decent framerates for the next couple of months... ->

Ordered: i7-3770, Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H, Scythe Mugen 3

This game is the only game I play, so I think it's worth teh cash.
Old 2012-11-19, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Faidwen
Private

Lets all remember that the average human cannot see / recognize framerates greater than 30 (and that turning on vsync / vertical sync, will limit your framerate to whatever your monitor / screen refresh is, typically 60)

Old 2012-11-19, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Faidwen View Post
Lets all remember that the average human cannot see / recognize framerates greater than 30 (and that turning on vsync / vertical sync, will limit your framerate to whatever your monitor / screen refresh is, typically 60)

This is true but when you are moving fast with a mouse, the movements are smoother with higher FPS. Most people can notice this below 40-45 FPS (which is where I am.) I cannot tell the difference between 45 and 60 FPS. Some people notice all kinds of jitter and stuff, I see it on forums all the time. Jitter that is caused by HyperThreading on the CPU or SLI/Xfire Stuttering. Its practically imperceptible to most unless you are looking for it.

Last edited by MrSmegz; 2012-11-19 at 06:28 AM.
Old 2012-11-19, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Yutty
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BlueSmiley View Post
Since I probably won't be able to play this game with decent framerates for the next couple of months... ->

Ordered: i7-3770, Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H, Scythe Mugen 3

This game is the only game I play, so I think it's worth teh cash.
dude i got that exact same motherboard except i got a i5-3570k. If you ever figure out how to overclock the CPU by adjusting the turbo speed please let me know. In the advanced bio's default view I can't change the clock speed, only way i can over clock it is to go into the 3D bios and change it manually there. But that method changes the default speed to overclock 24/7 when i only want turbo overclocked to kick in when needed.
Old 2012-11-19, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
BigpermCML
Private

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
Old 2012-11-19, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Piper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Because I assume most of you have fragile minds and are susceptible to arguments from authority, here is another industry icon talking about framerates (i.e. why 30 FPS is unacceptable):

http://beefjack.com/news/carmack-pre...he-only-thing/

Didn't you just suggest to us not to believe everything we read and then give us a link of something to read....
Old 2012-11-19, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
BlueSmiley
Private

I definitely see the difference between 30 - 35 35 - 40 and 40 - 60.
I've been playing CS 1.6 for like six years and I need higher FPS to enjoy the game. Once the framerate drops to 30-something, I can't even aim for shit. So that reply of yours: BS. I would like to have 50+ FPS. I'm getting new hardware, but if it isn't smooth on high graphics, I'll sure move over to medium or low. I don't care about graphics. I want to aim and pwn.

Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
dude i got that exact same motherboard except i got a i5-3570k. If you ever figure out how to overclock the CPU by adjusting the turbo speed please let me know. In the advanced bio's default view I can't change the clock speed, only way i can over clock it is to go into the 3D bios and change it manually there. But that method changes the default speed to overclock 24/7 when i only want turbo overclocked to kick in when needed.
If you want to overclock: Buy a new one.
I've read some reviews for this mobo and they all mentioned the fact that this motherboard sucks in OC'ing.
I'm not planning to overclock my CPU(I would have bought a 3770k otherwise), so i'm good I guess.

Last edited by BlueSmiley; 2012-11-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 2012-11-19, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
ThePackage
Private

Lets all remember that the average human cannot see / recognize framerates greater than 30
This is so incredibly incorrect. There's no real answer to how many frames we can see per second. And how many frames we can see, or recognize, does not even correlate to how much FPS we need a game to play at to feel smooth.

Last edited by ThePackage; 2012-11-19 at 09:46 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-11-19, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Just a quick FYI ... I am not the lead programmer. Brad Heinz is the lead on the game client (he's got a little write up on the official website)

I'll see about re-posting the info from the other forums.

[Sent from the outskirts of the Oort cloud]
Old 2012-11-19, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
rTekku
Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
I'd like to see you try to play a competitive FPS games at 20 FPS.

Go play Bad Company 2 on a console, then play Bad Company 2 on a PC at 60 FPS. Come back and tell me you don't see or feel a difference.

Last edited by rTekku; 2012-11-19 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2012-11-19, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
drdeadlift
Private

Old 2012-11-19, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Eduard Khil
Private

Lol, so my true 120 Hz monitor was a scam, Science ( I don't know whose) says I can't see 120 frames, yet I could swear this little app http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ looks somehow different when I set it to 120, all in the mind.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion