Gameplay: Adding Wildlife - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Im a Ninja
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-01, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Gugabalog
Major

Re: Adding Wildlife

It is stated in the lore that there is only plant life on Auraxis except for what human's may have introduced.
Old 2012-08-01, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
It is stated in the lore that there is only plant life on Auraxis except for what human's may have introduced.
Thats the same lore they used in HAL0. but we all know that was a cop out in which we can't blame them. After all the tech back then couldn't handel the "blind wolf"
Old 2012-08-01, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
vilehydra
Private

Quite frankly it isn't necessary and it only detracts from the actual gameplay.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Crator
Major General

@vilehydra You're wrong. It can add to the game-play. See previous posts in this thread for ideas....
Old 2012-08-01, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gugabalog
Major

Maybe a few birds, but nothing land based. It would feel out of place.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
lastus
Private

If only the humans brought horses from earth. Then we fight in a eco friendly way! yayyy.
Old 2012-08-04, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
MightyMan
Corporal

Yes, make animals like in Avatar, but without all of the soul-connection/hair sex thing bullshit.
Old 2012-08-04, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Panache
Private

I kind of like the idea. Imagine shaking an enemy flier who's on your six by maneuvering well enough so that he ends up flying into a flock of birds, or arranging a stampede of Space Cows to use them as a meatshield for an advancing front.
Old 2012-08-04, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
I kind of like the idea. Imagine shaking an enemy flier who's on your six by maneuvering well enough so that he ends up flying into a flock of birds, or arranging a stampede of Space Cows to use them as a meatshield for an advancing front.
^ Space Cow Stampedes XD
Old 2012-08-04, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Graf
Private

Space rinos would be better...

* magrider gets fliped after angry rhino gets zaped
Old 2012-08-04, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
KimJongLulz
Banned

Didn't...Battlefront 2 have like hostile NPC creatures that wandered around?
Old 2012-08-04, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Gugabalog
Major

Only in certain maps and towards certain factions.
Old 2012-08-04, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Apis
Private

Approaching the subject of wildlife in PS2 to add to the realism to the game is misguided. The dev's and player's main focus on developing this game is geared towards gameplay and the lore falls to the waist side. They made up the enternal life/respawning aspect of the lore to explain how someone can be blown up by a mine and enter back into the same battle 30 sec later. Who would want to play this if you had to watch your body be reconstructed for 6 months after every death?

I find it a stretch to say someone in a tank battle is going to stop to think "where are the ducks?" Nobody cares about why there aren't wildlife because it doesn't matter its only a game. Play Big Game Hunter if this a big deal to you.

I also don't like the idea of introducing an unnecessary element that could cause more bugs and further tax pc performance.

I think most people would use the wildlife as something to shoot at when not in the midst of battle. This is disrespectful to wildlife in my opinion. Using buffalo as a shooting prop in PS2 is offensive to me. I hate be political about this but this sort of mentality is a reason animals have become endangered throughout history. Are more animals going to go extinct if PS2 adds wildlife- NO. But I don't like spreading disrespectful ideas of nature. I am a naturalist biologist so the issue is alittle more close to home for me than others.

Its an ok idea to talk about but unnecessary at the end the day. Also, I respect everyone's opinions and I expect same towards mine so I don't want any replies calling me out as a PETA freak or something because I'm not.
Old 2012-08-04, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Gugabalog
Major

But what if it added to gameplay? I.E. the aforementioned space cow stampede as cover for an advance?
Old 2012-08-04, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Graf
Private

Or using bird's movement to detect enemys hidding in a specific area, as I think Raka Maru suggested? The bird thing could be a relatively simple code coupled to a particle effect that looks like a flock of birds and a sound effect. I think Dagron mentioned that earlier. I think space cows are too much work for a game mechanic that won't stand up well to futuristic weapons. Cows, though big, probably don't stand up well to railguns and plasma rifles. They will turn into cannon fodder and give players and annoyance because they are wasting ammo on things that don't give exp. or points. Unless they are special space cows that have naturally acuring adamtainum (lol) armor they wont do much to a group of players. Some sort of horse would work better because they are fast and have a smaller hit box, giving them more of a chance to overwhelm players before they can react or shoot enough to kill all the horses. It would be cool if the players staging the stampede could add bombs or armored vests to the animals and turn them into something that can actually cause damage to things other than light infantry.

Last edited by Graf; 2012-08-04 at 04:25 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault