How to use Maelstrom spam without grief or exposing yourself to nme fire - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Take us to your leader.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-03-08, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamorad
First Sergeant

How to use Maelstrom spam without grief or exposing yourself to nme fire

Ok, so say you're in a tower, bunch of nmes rushing doors and the like. What do you do? Bust out a mael and try this: Basically, the staircase is more or less one big column. With this you can realize that the floor right above you is 2 stories up... so if you're in the spawns, you can hit the people that are rushing doors and trying to go up and down by merely pointing the mael at the ceiling and firing off a nade.

Though this works ok in towers, in works GREAT in bases (except AMP station duh). Say, dropship center. You stand in that one area around the bottom of the stairs and shoot up at all the enemy streaming in from the front door. Do this right and you can make lots of kills, because the spam is difficult to escape, especially with many allies around who won't move, plus you live longer. You can rack up amazing k/ds like this.
Old 2005-03-08, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

eh, its really just an exploit. We REALLY don't want everyone doing this.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-03-08, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

You can do a similar thing with boomers, since boomers are glitched so they're explosion always goes up, so if you place four boomers perfectly, and then jammer them when you know there's a BFR above you, free BFR kill.
Old 2005-03-08, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
iluvthequasar
Corporal

Some guy did a similar trick but with a radiator. He took out at least a full squad, as well as the crew of a prowler.
Old 2005-03-09, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by ChewyLSB
You can do a similar thing with boomers, since boomers are glitched so they're explosion always goes up, so if you place four boomers perfectly, and then jammer them when you know there's a BFR above you, free BFR kill.
See, now I see that as completely fair. If the BFR is camping a courtyard, it risks getting its feet blown out from underneath it. But the whole maelstroming the ceiling in the spawn of a tower is lame in my opinion because there is no way to for anyone to get inside via the ground floor entrances.

I saw an NC CR5 kill 2 BFRs who were camping the doorways into and out of our base with AI weapons today. There wasn't any way to get outside to Deci them because as soon as you opened a door they would kill you instantly. So with no other options, the CR5 boomered them from below. With the 2 BFRs destroyed, we were able to get a few guys with Decis outside to chase off the rest. I see this as a legitimate strategy. Flight variant BFRs remain safe as long as they perch on walltops etc, but Gunners will have to be careful to either keep moving or stay in a position where they don't have rooms of the base beneath their feet.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-03-09, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
iluvthequasar
Corporal

in my BFR days (when gunner BFRs were part of the adv. merit), my aphelion got boomered from below. about 6 other VS BFRs had the same fate. interlink's hurt .
Old 2005-03-09, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by iluvthequasar
Some guy did a similar trick but with a radiator. He took out at least a full squad, as well as the crew of a prowler.
I use the Radiator just like this.

It's amazing in its capacity, and it is a serious weapon if you understand how to use it. Secondary-mode is a straight-line sticky grenade. I've used this weapon to kill turret gunners, clear wall battlements, and clear out hallway stacks of defenders. It ignores armor and goes straight to health. Ever see a vehicle simply stop, empty because its crew just disappeared?
Old 2005-03-09, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
iluvthequasar
Corporal

Originally Posted by Firefly

It's amazing in its capacity, and it is a serious weapon if you understand how to use it. Secondary-mode is a straight-line sticky grenade. I've used this weapon to kill turret gunners, clear wall battlements, and clear out hallway stacks of defenders. It ignores armor and goes straight to health. Ever see a vehicle simply stop, empty because its crew just disappeared?
Only problem I have with the radiator is it ends up hampering friendly movement more than enemy movement. You have no idea how annoying it is when theres nothing but radiator spam leading to the CC, no way to get inside without taking 80 damage.
Old 2005-03-09, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by iluvthequasar
in my BFR days (when gunner BFRs were part of the adv. merit), my aphelion got boomered from below. about 6 other VS BFRs had the same fate. interlink's hurt .
I too had this happen to me and I had to wait for the timer so I went back to the base grunt and watched as BFR after BFR got pwned in the exact same place i did...
Old 2005-03-11, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gammit10
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firefly

Yeah, I LOVE this. I think it's even funnier when you see them come to an immediate halt, and then climb out and run away.
Old 2005-03-19, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
eh, its really just an exploit.
It's not an Exploit. They built weapons like Thumper and Secondary Maelstrom for a reason, to attack large groups of people. Would that same weapon be as effective as a Sweeper or Heavy Assault one on one? No. People using this tactic prevents others from coloumn camping and parking their buts in the middle of a traficway. I always thank the thumper/Mael users, cuz it helps me teach the zerg a lesson. PUSH towards the fight, don't back up, clutter, and die.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2005-03-19, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
internetn
Sergeant Major

I sorta agree with u lone but still shooting thru the ground just so you can get 7+ kills every few seconds doesnt sound very legit to me

http://www.lastknights.com/index.php?action=register&ref_id=5639

Old 2005-03-23, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Atlas24
Corporal

Originally Posted by ChewyLSB

A few guys got talks about this from a CSR a while ago.

666th SH4D0W 0wnZ J00!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion