Square Continents........ - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now in five new flavors!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-30, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Re: Square Continents........

I thought(not for sure) I saw some ware that these maps are only the starting points and that they want to expand them some where down the line in that 5 year plan that they keep mentioning? Also they want to hit 3k players per map as well at some point.
Old 2012-10-01, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Ghost Runner View Post
I thought(not for sure) I saw some where that these maps are only the starting points and that they want to expand them some where down the line in that 5 year plan that they keep mentioning? Also they want to hit 3k players per map as well at some point.
I really hope this is the case. I would love to see some shape to these continents outside of the square design...Some huge forests or lakes and streams running through them would be a good starting point.

Old 2012-10-01, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Had a friend who managed to get Amerish from the game files:

3 for 3 on square continents.

Edit: Picture also available in the PSU Wiki.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-10-01 at 01:09 PM.
Old 2012-10-01, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Gugabalog
Major

That is awesome
Old 2012-10-01, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Meh, I'm not really sweating the square thing considering how large the maps are. Also maybe I will just hold out hope they can eventually stitch them all together in a PS2 quilt for us to seamlessly fight on haha....maybe------> IN the future wwhhooooo
Old 2012-10-01, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Looking at that pic of Amerish does that look like a mountain or old volcano or something in the middle? Would be cool if it was high enough to have it above the clouds....
Old 2012-10-01, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

The continents should be triangles. Well, that would probably be both more realistic and provide even distribution of distance (not sure if that's actually a good thing or not, and distance isn't the only factor especially with no/fewer Gal Spawns).

However, I'm not against square maps to be honest (at least at this point). That said, I do hope as their technical capacity increases they'll embrace more shapes. Circles, spirals, maybe even trapezoids.

Or... to get truly daring... a rhombus!

(Also, I'd love to get the Archipelago map going, even if it ends up still being "square" in practice it'd be much easier to hide that as far as land-mass.)

Last edited by Flaropri; 2012-10-01 at 04:13 PM.
Old 2012-10-01, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Flaropri View Post
(Also, I'd love to get the Archipelago map going, even if it ends up still being "square" in practice it'd be much easier to hide that as far as land-mass.)
WTB Cyssor
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-10-01, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
WTB Cyssor

Obviously it's still a square, but the water and bridges make it feel different than a square map that has hills/mountains instead of the waterways.

This is the VS sanctuary from PS1. I think it would make a good map for PS2 if the islands had important bases on them and the wapgates were located where they on this map. In any case, it's the least square or rectangle looking map in Planetside.
Old 2012-10-01, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Zulthus
Colonel

Well, I was really hoping they would keep the same idea as the original continents with some cool geography added in. This is disappointing. Squares are boring. Cyssor could pull it off because of the great bridge battles and rivers flowing through it.
Old 2012-10-01, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Why don't they just add extra 'fluff' area. I can deal with the battle area being a square, but at least give the continent some more shape.
Old 2012-10-02, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Fara
Corporal

First 3 maps show a distinct lack of Water / Rivers, which is a shame since these made for some epic fights in PS1. Hopefully in future content we'll get more diverse shorelines.

Fara.
Old 2012-10-02, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Fara View Post
First 3 maps show a distinct lack of Water / Rivers, which is a shame since these made for some epic fights in PS1. Hopefully in future content we'll get more diverse shorelines.

Fara.
PS2 lacks water now..but until they figure out water they have the freedom to do anything they want being that these are fictious places. Why not a dark red mist laying in all low river/pond areas like a permanent fog/smoke you can't see though or breath in or bleeds your health if you breath it for to long. For all intents and purpose something like that can fill the role of water until they can do it.

They have some options other than water to simulate water if they want, we are just familiar and can relate to water.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion