Quick Optimization update via Higgles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I see nothing!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-09-26, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
camycamera
Major

Quick Optimization update via Higgles

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...update.152487/

Originally Posted by Higgles
Hey all -

We've made some really great optimization progress in the last few weeks across several different areas of the game. Overall we're running faster across all our hardware test cases, in some cases with up to a 30% increase in framerate, and we're not even done yet. We know everyone here is anxious for news so we wanted to share some tentative dates of when we expect to have some of these efforts released to you guys.

Our current schedule has us completing the changes for our first major optimization patch on October 9th, as soon as possible after that we'll be patching things up to our Public Test server where we'll be running a few events and focus tests to make sure things are stable and performance increases are being realized. Assuming that our testing goes well our hope is to deploy the first major optimization patch on October 23rd.

As usual I have to caveat that dates can be slippery, and while we'll make every effort to adhere to these dates, with engineering changes of the complexity and magnitude of those being undertaken by the team right now things can go wrong.

We will be posting a followup thread to talk about some of the specific changes we've made and results we've seen from them so far, but we wanted to get the news on the dates out to you all as quickly as we could!

I also wanted to thank each of you for your patience while we've made these changes. We know the delays to content additions has been tough, but, based on the results we're seeing internally already we think you will all agree that it has been well worth the wait.

See you on Auraxis!
-
Matthew Higby
Creative Director - Planetside 2
TL;DR:
-optimisation going great; some tests show 30% increases in performance, game is running faster across the board, and they aren't done yet

-they are planning on finishing the first major optimisation update on October 9th

-they will then focus test the patch on the Test server

-hopefully will deploy the first patch on live on October 23rd

-dates are not final

-will post follow up threads
Old 2013-09-26, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Quick Optimization update via Higgles

It reads like the sales pitch a car salesman gave me once.
Lots of nothing really.

But I guess lots of nothing is better than nothing, right?
Old 2013-09-27, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
It reads like the sales pitch a car salesman gave me once.
Lots of nothing really.

But I guess lots of nothing is better than nothing, right?
well, the dates are something.... or are they?
Old 2013-09-27, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
well, the dates are something.... or are they?
Yes they are.

Still, it's nice to see the progress they've made so far and some tentative dates have been mooted but really we are still in the realm of the unknown.
Old 2013-09-27, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
phungus
Master Sergeant

Invisible god mode cloaking fields caused by render distances is the most important tactical issue in this game. It allows large outfits to utterly dominate everything since everywhere they go they self generate giant invisible god mode cloaking fields around them that make them invulnerable to attack while being able to project massive firepower from AV turrents, MAXes and even armor if the group is large enough. This is literal, not a figurative issue, and it is wholly unfair.

Is there any chance any of this optimization stuff will fix or at least alleviate the invisible god mode issues that dominate combat in this game? Or at the very least have the devs considered reducing the range of large invisible god mode groups so they don't dominate everything at range while in invisible god mode?
Old 2013-09-27, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I feel like you're trying to say something about invisible god mode shields.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion